“I think there are better places to stay in the area” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Childs Meadow Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mill Creek
Childs Meadow Resort
41500 Highway 36 East, Mill Creek, CA 96061   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Mill Creek
frannysf
“I think there are better places to stay in the area”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The location is great for hiking in Lassen and the surrounding area. Folks are friendly. But, oh, the accommodations. They have several types of lodging. We stayed in kind of a small caravan-type trailer. Trundle bed. Very small and so cramped with both beds open. Claustrophobic feel. Don't try to shower in there -- use the bath house which has more hot water. Filthy curtains and blinds. Beds were a row of springs, quarter inch plywood on top of that, then a thin mattress. Horrible. Uncomfortable and noisy every time you moved. Road is nearby, so kind of noisy during the day, but quiet at night. Accommodations described as rustic, but I think camping would be cleaner. Not looking for luxury, we're hikers, but we will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Gridley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

My husband and I have camped for many years at Childs Meadows.At our age we like having complete hook-ups,yet we still enjoy the rustic look and feel of camping.Our grand children feel like Childs Meadows is their second home.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sonoma County CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Our Lassen trip was a birthday surprise for my husband so I wanted something a little special. We like rustic more than fancy. The 'cabin' I booked was new and potentially cute but it was parked (literally, it was on wheels) in a bare parking lot. It was so tiny that when the 'trundlebed' was pulled out and made up there wasn't room to move around the room. Worse, the bed was really 2 singles that didn't hook together in any way. I told the woman at the desk that this might be fine if my husband and I were just friends but it wasn't going to work for a romantic getaway! She was accomodating enough and we ended up in the motel which was perfectly adequate, clean with microwave and fridge (which was all the cabin had anyway) and a comfortable kingsize bed. No TV but we didn't want one.

The resort must once have been charming, with a row of large cabins facing a lovely valley and a large wooden house. Now the house is empty and has a trailer permanently parked in front of it, the meadow view includes the motel and various odd accumulations of junk, and there are these random cabins on wheels and RVs. The water is wonderful, from a spring up above the resort (I explored and found it) it's dog-friendly for an extra $10 and it's certainly convenient to Lassen. Overall I'd call it fine value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The room was very clean and appeared to be freshly painted. The carpet was a little spotted given that pets are accepted, nevertheless clean. The surroundings are beautiful in this remote valley just a few miles south-east of Lassen. We had our dogs with us. The Sandhill Cranes were present, but unfortunately they were quiet the one night in August that we stayed. However we were delighted to hear a pair of Great Horned Owls outside our window during the night. Barn swallows were nesting not far away.

If a quiet motel is what you desire, this is the place.

The cafeteria was not serving the night we stayed and we had to drive to Chester, 20 miles east, for dinner and breakfast.

The weather was hot (93F) the first day, but the room was cool despite not having air conditioning because the construction is heavy masonry which stays cool. There was no tv, computer hook up, or telephone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We were keen to visit Lassen Volcanic Park (which was amazing and worth the detour on our holiday) and I booked Childs Meadow because it sounded like a rural idyll. How wrong was I? I should have read the reviews first and had I done so would not have booked this.
We were shown to a wooden trailer balanced on breeze blocks situated in amongst aged trailers, RVs and old cars. When we opened the door the smell that hit us was revolting - we later found a rotting steak down the side of the oven which confirmed our view that the place had not been very well cleaned. We had no sleep due to a car which parked behind the trailer in the early hours and the occupant kept his radio on all night. the room was lit up by passing cars' lights and security lights. We mentioned all this to the lady in charge and she did apologise but there was no offer of a refund or reduction in the bill. We were never so pleased to leave a place. Luckily our next night was spent at the wonderful Tallman Hotel in Upper Lake. Good luck with finding a place to stay near here because our day in Lassen was one of the highlights of our holiday and I would definately recommend a visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mill Creek hotels

California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Cute resort with motel rooms and cottages. I have stayed in both, and find them to be clean and comforatable. Outstanding location in a valley very near Lassen National Park, complete with nightly serenades by sandhill cranes in the meadow. The restaurant is open for dinner on the weekends, and there is a convenience store useful for forgotten necessities. Relaxed, friendly owners and staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Vegas, Baby!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I've read the other reviews, and have to say they aren't necessarily wrong. But, I was raised in the area, and think some other reviews might be unfair.
That being said, Child's Meadow Resort has been around for years, and the accomodations are rustic, but I think it is a great location with fabulous wildlife and expansive views.
I stayed there with my partner and parents for the 4th of July holiday, and we had a fantastic time. Lake Alamanor and the town of Chester are only about twenty minutes away.
The chalet we stayed in needs improvement, but it appears the owners are working on that. Everything is a bit dated and somewhat drab, but we certainly weren't expecting the Ritz. Our chalet was in the process of being re-painted on the outside, and I think the new color will make them look great when completed.
The surrounding forrest and meadows are magnificent, and it was a lot of fun watching the deer and other wildlife cavorting around the property.
Dottie, the owner, and staff were all excellent and helpful. We had a fantastic breakfast at the restaurant/store. The food was excellent. We wish we'd known in advance about the restaurant and we would have planned more meals during our stay, it was that good!
I certainly would recomment this resort to a friend, as long as they fully understood it is a rustic mountain getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Childs Meadow Resort? Share your experiences!