“What a pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Childs Meadow Resort

Childs Meadow Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mill Creek
Childs Meadow Resort
You added Childs Meadow Resort to your Saves list
41500 Highway 36 East, Mill Creek, CA 96061   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mill Creek
Cottonwood, CA
“What a pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We needed a place to stay that was close to Chester and Chico. Child's Meadow was so affordable. It is not a fancy place but it was simple and pleasant. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. There was no TV and no phone but my cell phone worked right there. The cafe is so cute and they offered wireless internet from the cafe. That was great because I had a little business to take care of and I was able to sit out on the porch in the quiet cool air and use my laptop. There is a beautiful meadow with grazing cattle across the highway which added to the beauty of the mountains and trees. The staff was courteous and wonderful. I could not have been happier.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fairfield, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

This is the only development in the gorgeous Child's Meadow, and sadly, it's seen better days. The first impression is......what a dump! Rubble piles, junked equipment, cargo containers, and old derelict trailers are scattered ramdomly about. The layout was poorly planned in the first place, and the maintenance has been sorely lacking for many, many years.

That said, the insides of the units were clean, and we had a quiet night's stay. The people in the store/cafe were very friendly and helpful. We were only there to sleep, so it met our needs. On the plus side, there are many very nice camping sites in the forest above the buildings. None of them were occupied during my stay. The small cafe is cheery, and the food was good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mill Creek hotels

Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

We arrived at Childs Meadow with high hopes. Their brochure and website show a beautiful meadow with horses and what looks like a stable. We pulled into a parking lot with a store/cafe and A LOT of junky farm equipment- old cars, a huge above ground propane tank, snowmobiles, etc sitting around. We got checked into our "cabin" and found it was entirely pre-fab, sitting on wheels, and had, less than 30 feet away, a gorgeous view of a concrete block shower house/laundry room, an above ground propane or septic tank and a junk car, but no view of any kind of a meadow.(Turns out the meadow in the picture is ACROSS the highway from the property.) Additionally, the screening was ripped completely loose on the front porch- not that we'd have wanted to sit there anyway, given the view. We told the young lady at check in that this was not at all what we'd seen on the web or in the brochure, and did she have anything with a decent view she that she could move us to. She called her manager, Dottie, and then offered us a choice of two of their "chalets"- we chose number 7- not because it was any great shakes, but because we could , by turning our backs on the rest of the property. sit on the porch and actually look to the right , over an adjoining meadow similar to what we had seen in the pictures on the website. This is the ONLY 'chalet" with any kind of a view- the rest are stuck behind a cinder block motel -it looks like a stable in the brochure and has lots of horses behind it- no horses when we got there, just lots of old paint cans and a gravel heap- and many years of cast off farm equipment and junk.
Once we were installed in our 1960's decor "chalet" , we had to turn the pilot lights on for the stove, turn the water to regular from the "vacation" setting and wait for hot water, and turn the refrigerator on and wait for it to cool down it had been unplugged, per the checkout directions listed on the wall.- Then a nice young man arrived with our sheets and towels- and we got to make own beds. (We also got to turn all this stuff off and strip them when we left) . I asked him about the creek the owner had mentioned- that was supposedly "on the property"- turns out it's a mile and a half away and you have to go thru several latched Ranch gates to get to it. The young man said if anybody gave us a hard time about using the Ranch Property to get there, just to tell them that Blackbird said it was OK.- Not a real warm fuzzy feeling, but once you've hiked your mile and a half, it is nice- just remember to relatch the gates when you leave. So- on the decent side- the sheets and towels were clean, although the blue towels had obviously been washed with the white ones and were full of lint; nothing matched- but they were clean and they gave us lots. The heat worked. The beds were sleepable. The front porch had a table and chairs painted in bright colors that looked like old leaded paint-and once we cleaned all the bird poop off we could turn our backs on the rest of the property and have a decent view of the Cascades. On the bad side-the laundry room was nasty and didn't have a change machine- the front porch steps were rotten- there was a fair amount of debris around all the chalets ( including a junked car right in front of chalet #1) and they were less than 10 feet away from each other. The decor was definitely early 60's - aqua bathtub and toilet- saggy couches, and not very clean throws, mismatched lamps and one bad picture and a puzzle tacked to the wall for accents. The kitchen/living room are one room divided by a counter; there are two bedrooms and one bath in each chalet; bad panelling and stretched thin wrinkled curtains complete the decor. We left our "chalet" much cleaner than we found it and Dottie declined, two weeks later, by mail, to return our cleaning deposit based on the fact that we had "upgraded" our accomodations- never mind that nothing had been said about any additional charge for changing us and that every single "chalet" was empty. I guess you can't expect someone who misrepresents their property so badly to be honest in the handling of your deposit, either. It defies belief that someone could take such a potentially beautiful piece of property and junk it up and badly as these people have, but seeing, and staying , is believinig. Next time, we'll definitely go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Monterey, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed at the RV section of Childs Meadows Resort. The facilities were on the rustic side, but that was what I was expecting. For the price, $24 a night, I was very satisfied. The cafe was good as well, I ate there for breakfast one day only.

• Liked — The location and the value.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
SF
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Forest fires were blazing in Tehama and Plumas counties. I called the night before my reservation to check on conditions and was told that it was quite smoky (300 ft. visibility) when the wind was blowing to the west. I was also told I could cancel my reservation and would get a full refund, but that I would have to call the next day. When I called back I was told by a very rude woman (Dottie) that I could not get a full refund. They charged my card. I love the area, but will NEVER go back to Childs Meadow Resort.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

I think this is a cute little resort. The staff is nice and everything was well taken care of.
The scenery is beautiful and the food is excellent. I would stay here ANYTIME.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

Driving up, we were shocked. It's very run down, the cabins are on cinder blocks, the main building is falling apart, people had laundry hung out to dry from RVs that hadn't been moved in months. Trash was around, etc. People were living here full time, and it looked like a sad rv park. They command the rates they do due to being the only place to stay that close to Lassen. We were very disappointed and feel the term "resort" is a gross overstatement.

• Liked — Nothing. It was awful.
  • Disliked — The dirty bathroom, grounds, and main building. All were filthy.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Childs Meadow Resort? Share your experiences!