“Watch out for the vegetarian Nazi” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Harbin Hot Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middletown
Harbin Hot Springs
You added Harbin Hot Springs to your Saves list
18474 Harbin Springs Road, PO Box 782, Middletown, CA 95461   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Watch out for the vegetarian Nazi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

I was enjoying a peaceful retreat in the wilds for most of this. I was following all of the rules of the place that I knew of including (yes, these are posted) No --- in the Pools and Do not Molest the women.

Alas, I did not read all of the hundreds of posters that are around and missed one that mentioned that you can not cook meat in the group kitchen. Ironically, eggs are welcome. When I saw this I figured all was ok. So I cooked up some fine lamb chops.

In storms the vegetaian Nazi shouting (over and over at the top of his lungs) "You have violated the rules, you must leave Harbin" Already, I'm a bit scared, thinking that some person violated the two rules mentioned above and he thinks I am the perp. Then he charges across the room and I see from his shirt that he is a designated security person. I thought "oh no, he's going to take me down" Rather than try to promote peace through peacefulness, the New Age Harbin (and you wonder how folks call Christians hypocrytes?) supposed reason to exist, he screams and yells and bullies and badgers me, merely trying to eat a meal, calls the Sheriff and, as I'm trying to stuff my dinner down my throat as I aim, minus some posessions he refused to let me collect, towards the exit, threatens to physically restrain me until the sherriff comes then stands behind my truck to try to enforce the illegal restraint. Mind you, I have committed no crime or misdemenor, voiced no threat, did not raise my hands in a threatening gesture and am leaving to prevent a trespass charge Pretty worried at this point, I slowly ease the car backwards and he does wise up and move.

Enjoy.

ManzanitaTrees, Managing Director at Harbin Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
This sounds like a very unfortunate incident. I do not know what actually happened, but I can assure you that we do not ask anyone to leave or call the sheriff on breaking a rule like "no meat in the kitchen".
We will, however, protect the serenity and peace of the setting for our guests. We do not allow any aggressive or violent behavior.
There must have been a serious violation in this case.
Be aware that there are always two sides to any story.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2004

Harbin is a unique place to unwind and discover simple pleasures. It isn't for everyone, however. You won't find a TV, a phone, or an internet connection in your room. And no alcohol is allowed. If you smoke, you can only smoke on designated decks. Why all of the restrictions? Well, this place is on sacred Native American grounds. Let me tell you what IS here. Quiet. Reflection. A wonderful organic garden to walk through. Deer that freely roam the property and aren't afraid of the people. Several pools...a meditation mineral pool, a large swimming pool, a very hot spring pool, etc. At the pools, clothing is optional and most people are nude or are wearing sarongs. Twice a night, you can see a free movie in a small theatre where there are only large pillows to lay on. You have to leave your shoes off outside the door, and you have to be next to a total stranger. But strangely, it is very cool. You can visit the book store and purchase a book, or borrow a book from the library and read it on one of the swings that sits on the wrap around porch of the hotel or on the grass. You can buy an organic meal at the restaurant or make your own food in the community kitchen. There are lots of options. You don't even have to rent a room. Instead, you can camp out on the deck under the stars for a small fee. You'll probably fit in best if you're a bit of a free spirit or wished you had been a flower-child in the 60's. I could go on. But let me just sum up by saying that I always come away from Harbin more relaxed than when I came.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2003

Don't think of Harbin Hot Springs as a hotel! It is far more than a place to stay. It is not a place to go if you just want lodging. Harbin is one of the special places in the world--if, like us, you like this sort of thing. Harbin offers a unique place to unwind, to rejuvenate, to contemplate life. The rooms are in buildings from the 1900s, originally used in a healing resort that focused on the various hot springs. They are furnished individually and are very comfortable. No A/C. There is a wonderful resturant serving vegetarian meals for breakfast and dinner. Unusual sandwichs and terrific smoothies are available in the middle of the day by the pools. A weekly dance, Saturday nigt entertainment, and several types of personal growth activities are included and are optional. Hike on many acres. Clothing is optional in most areas. We met there 8 years ago. Go! Enjoy!

Been to Harbin Hot Springs? Share your experiences!