“Clean Hotel, Bad Location” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1033 Motel Drive, Merced, CA 95340-5155   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Merced
San Francisco, CA
“Clean Hotel, Bad Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here last Weekend for 2 nights, Property is Well maintain and clean, the 2 days I was there I saw a lady cleaning the outside property, Room was Clean, There was a microwave, coffee maker and a fridge. One complain is that the Window inside the Bathroom could be a bit more secure. Breakfast is very standard, fruits, Cereal, Milk, Coffee, Yogurt, Microwave breakfast burritos and some pastries. You can definitively hear the Cars in the Freeway and the Train at night so if you're very sensitive about noise I don't recommend you stay here. Overall is an average Hotel, We return to Merced every year for the Kiki Raina Tahiti Fete Competition so I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Complaints: Extremely Noisy, Smells like someone smoked in a non-smoking room, needs lots of TCL and throw out the see thru draperies, and bathroom needs attention also.

I've been awake for hours and can't sleep due to train and Hwy 99 traffic.

I would seriously think hard about staying here anytime in the future. Price was right but I'd rather spend $60 more for a restful night.

I like the Best Western chain and I'm deeply disturbed by the Plus being on this hotel, it definitely is not of a plus status. I've never been so disappointed.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
La Selva Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The other 3 star Merced hotels were sold out, so we tried the Best Western Plus. The front desk person was very friendly and helpful. When I got to the room, it was pretty basic but looked clean and neat. It did smell overwhelmingly of spray fragrance which was a little off-putting. I would have rather the room smell was neutral or smelled of cleaner than cover-up fragrance. As a business traveler I was happy with the desk. I was disappointed that I had to run an extension cord (yes, I do travel with one) across the room to reach the night stand, so I could plug in my cell phone to charge over night and have it nearby. The bathroom was clean. The air conditioner worked fine. The biggest negative was the freeway truck and train noise while I was trying to fall asleep. That coupled with the lumpy pillows did not provide the restful night's sleep I had hoped for. Perhaps double paned windows would help? The breakfast was fine with name brand breakfast cereal. Nice variety of cold food and I think I saw a waffle maker too. Checkout was as efficient as check-in - again, friendly staff. If my expectations hadn't been raised by the 3 stars, I wouldn't have been as disappointed.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The wifi signal is so weak and slow, I could never do any real work at this hotel if I needed a fast wifi connection.
I requested a quiet room and was given a corner room in the back corner of the property, but there is no such thing as quiet at this property. It is across the street from Highway 99 and the train tracks. Even at the back of the property I could hear all the noise very clearly, especially when the trains went through.
The window locks on the 2 room and one bathroom window are not as secure as they should be and one of the bedroom windows on the first floor was actually unlocked when i went into the first floor room. There were actually two additional bolt locks added to the window frame in the bathroom because the window doesn't lock properly on it's own. The back windows face the main street of a local neighborhood which has it's share of traffic, too, so noise from that side too.
The carpet and bed seemed new and in good shape. Good TV. Some of the wood furnishings were worn and quite scratched, but others looked newer..
The front desk clerk was very friendly and accommodating, so can not complain about the service. She tried to assign the best room she had available and even moved me to another room than was originally assigned.
But because of the location, weak and slow wifi, and the noise level which affects comfort and ability to sleep, this hotel should not be the Plus level.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a good room at this hotel because of the noise level and poor wifi signal.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very disappointed with this BW. The two chairs were soiled and old. Carpet should have been replaced a couple years ago. No face cloths in bathroom. Quoted price on Tripadvisor was $79, she would not honor that quote. The room cost was $99.
No HOT breakfast. Not sure why BW calls this a PLUS. Would avoid this place if you can.

Room Tip: Go someplace else!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was the WORST experience ever at any motel that we have stayed at in the last 45 years of travel. Let me begin with compliments where they are certainly due. The booking experience was great and the folks at check-in were very pleasant and professional... and it went from a 10 to a 1 from there. This Best Western PLUS was listed on the internet which we assumed was among the usual quality of other Best Western hotels that we have stayed in. It was a converted Motel 6 at best (you could see where they had removed the 1950’s wall heater and tried to patch the wall so that no one would notice). The room was small and the location was within a stone’s throw of the 99 freeway, big trucks and cars whizzing by all night. The freight train went rumbling by every 45 minutes or so until mid-night and here is the kicker... that bar next store, which was closer to our room than the freeway, went until 2:00 AM, with noise and a racket that was unbelievable. Needless to say we did not get but a few hours of sleep, if any, that night. Now here are my suggestions... 1) if the hotel is in that type of location, please let your customers know that it is only a one star facility, 2) cut the price at least in half ($120 for this!) if not more and take the plus off of the sign out front, 3) please let us know that you will take these comment seriously (your reputation is at stake). We have been very satisfied with Best Western for many years and hope to continue our relationship with the hotel chain. Oh, and 4) know that I will do more extensive research about location and surroundings as we book hotels in the future, hopefully at the Best Westerns. Oh yes, and maybe 5) they might want to consider selling this baby back to Motel 6 so that at least people’s expectations won’t be so high.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2014

The title says it all. Noise is from trains and highway. The motel is old and needs renovation. It's location is along a major highway and close to railroad tracks. It is not in the safest part of town either.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Alicia F, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our Best Western Plus Inn here in Merced. I appreciate your taking the time to write and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

We are aware that, although, it is convenient being right off the freeway it also has some disadvantages. This is why we have taken steps such as installing double pane windows, solid wooden doors and providing earplugs to our guest to ensure they have the most pleasant stay possible.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus Inn the next time you are in Merced. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one as we illustrate that what happened to you was an unfortunate exception to our normally high quality of service.

Best regards

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn? Share your experiences!