“Exceeded my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Memphis TN
“Exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We were part of a large tour group (26) on our way to Yosemite. This hotel was GREAT! Very clean, very well appointed room, great staff, good breakfast ... Wish we could have stayed longer. I don't undrstand the earlier review of the rooms beiing old and worn. Ours looked NEW!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed here for 14 nights. Check in went ok. I came in around 2pm, but waited at the front desk about 10 minutes before someone finally came to the front desk. They had no bell or other means to summon the clerk. Because I was there so long, they did upgrade me to a suite, which was much appreciated. The room had a king size bed, a loveseat that pulled out to a bed, a desk with an office chair and a regular dining room style chair. The tv was about a 35-40 inch flat screen, channel selection was ok, but not extensive. It also had a dorm sized refrigerator, a microwave, and a separate sink and counter top food prep area. My room faced the highway. There is some noise, but not out of the ordinary. There is a train that rolls through town. It seemed like twice a day. I could hear it in the room and in several other places around the city. The breakfast at the hotel was great. It was set up before the stated 6am time every morning. There was always a selection of eggs of some sort, a meat (bacon, sausage, etc) and seasoned potatoes. There was also fresh cut up fruit, and whole fruit available (apples, oranges, and bananas). Oatmeal and make your own waffles were also there, along with pastries, muffins, toast, and bagels. Coffee and tea (hot water) were always available in the breakfast area, which was a very nice addition. I used the fitness area a few times. It was fairly standard with 2 treadmills, a bike, and elliptical. Unfortunately, there wasn't any cleaning solution or paper towels to clean off sweaty equipment. I don't know why hotels don't provide this. I usually end up taking an extra towel and wetting it from the water cooler and wiping down equipment. I only had the cleaning people come into the room 3 or 4 times while I was there and they did a satisfactory job. I only had one complaint while I was there. For the Easter holiday, my husband sent flowers to me. He called the hotel before sending them verifying that it would be ok and that delivery would be made. They assured him they would. The flowers were delivered on Friday to the hotel in a box. On Saturday morning when I spoke with him, he asked if I liked them. I hadn't received them yet, so we confirmed the delivery on the website. When I got back to the room that evening, I asked the front desk about them. They stated that yes they did have them, and had called my room several times to let me know. When I got back to my room, I did not have any messages on the phone. I did have a do not disturb on the door, but was disappointed that they didn't just slide a note under the door or leave a message on the door. Other than that, I was satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: odd number rooms will face away from the highway, and towards a neighboring Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were here as part of a large tour group (on our way to and from Yosemite).

When possible, I always try to stay in 4 or 5 star resorts and hotels (Ritz, Hyatt, etc.), so I truly was not holding out much hope for this property.

Boy was I wrong! After having spent two nights previously in a hoity toity San Francisco hotel at Fisherman’s Wharf, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the Hampton Inn more! There is so much competition in the hotel world and it honestly feels like Hampton Inn at Merced is just simply trying harder to make their guests feel special and welcome. Employees greet you with big smiles and ask you how your day is going. A nice touch!

The linens on the bed were dreamy! There was a sign on the bed stating that all linens, including the duvet covers, were washed between every guest’s visit! Nice touch! The linens were crisp and clean and the pillows were so nice, I wish I had them at home on my own bed.

Check in was a breeze and we were greeted with fresh baked cookies (yummy!).

Our room was spotless and the A/C worked perfectly. There were nice toiletries (including conditioner and mouthwash!) along with a little sign, stating that if you had left anything at home such as razor/toothpaste/etc, to please stop by the front desk and it would be provided with a smile. Nice touch, again!

The complimentary breakfast is very good! There was a ’make it yourself’ waffle station! I have never seen a hotel provide this before! That gives the Hampton Inn a notch up on the ’cool factor’! There was also biscuits and gravy, plenty of fresh fruit, hot cereal, cold cereal, breads, orange juice, apple juice, etc. You will NOT leave here hungry!

Not sure if I will ever have a need to stay in Merced again, but what I am certain of, is that in my upcoming travels, I will definitely look forward to staying in a Hampton Inn again (and making my own waffles for breakfast!).

Three cheers for this nice property!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The Hotel is well situated and with good visability from 99, and only a block from 140 to Yosemite. However, the rooms appeared old and worn. We stayed at 4 different Hamptons on the trip and this was average at best if not below.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times and always find it to be clean and nice. The beds are very comfortable. WiFi is pretty slow, but works. Breakfast is reasonably good. Overall there are several breakfast choices, including make-it-yourself waffles. I'm not sure what kind of cardboard chickens the cardboard eggs came from though. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Just pass on the eggs.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Castro Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I stayed here for the first time, on business. It is everything you expect of a Hampton Inn. Very typical. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The number of television stations is minimal, which was a little surprising. I found the internet speed to be perfectly fine both in the hotel room and in the lobby. Breakfast was decent. If I need to be back in this area, I will stay here again. It is a good room for the price. The hotel is right off the 99 Highway, so it is a very easy off - easy on if you are driving any distance.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Ilinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I travel every week for work. This is my third time staying at the Hampton in Merced.

Summary: Want a mediocre hotel with bad service and 1996 internet speed? Stay here!

Customer service is dreadful. Good luck catching someone behind the front desk - and make sure you ask for coffee after housekeeping comes by, otherwise you'll find they left you none. Is your microwave dead, as mine was? If so, your groceries will be left to spoil for days while you wait for someone to address the issue. Good luck.

I've stayed at many, many Hamptons across the county, and breakfast here is by FAR the worst. I realize it's reheated - but must it be so awful every day? Can someone please refill the coffee? Would it kill you to give me something besides "Pork Ham" in the hot tray? (Bonus Tip: Don't try the Pork Ham)

The single elevator promotes an expired safety certificate. The pool is a mess most of the time. And wait, you haven't heard the best part:

For the last week, I've had internet connection speeds UNDER 56k. For those who aren't tech savvy - my telephone modem in 1996 was as fast as this wireless internet connection. Thinking of watching Netflix or doing work over a VPN? Think again. Or, you can do what I did: Call to the front desk over and over again, and delight as they say "Oh, okay" and little else.

Given the choice, I would NOT stay here again. At the end of this stay, I will have spent four weeks here, and I'll be glad to be out of this hotel - and out of the county as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nearby, noisy freeway.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites - Merced? Share your experiences!