“Very cheap and that's what you get” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Inn

Save Saved
You added Budget Inn to your Saves list
Budget Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1215 R Street, Merced, CA 95340 (Formerly Vagabond Inn Merced)   |
Ranked #11 of 13 hotels in Merced
Lancaster, California
“Very cheap and that's what you get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Well I stayed her a few days ago, we had a room that was facing the free way. Check in was through a bullet proof window at night, not out of the ordinary but a little unnerving. Of course on the way up the to the room you have some guy just hanging out at the top of the stairs with his room open behind him and a some other dude looking for a light at the bottom of the stairs. The room itself had a slight odor to it, not bad but it was just another mark against the room. The bed an old and lumpy mattress on a box spring on the ground. The sheets were old but clean. The blanket was more like an old surplus army blanket... Remember to bring your own shampoo and soap. They only provide one little bar of soap. There wasn't any light over the sink either. The towels weren't bad though. I've been to places with much worse towels, be sure to only use them when you need to. There's only 2 big towels and maybe 2 hand towels. As far as noise goes it was like the door was open, you can hear every car rolling through there, also a train runs fairly close to the hotel as well. Bring ear plugs.

The Denny's was right across the parking lot so that was nice. Bottom line is, next time in need to spend the night in Merced I'll spend the extra $10 or $20 and find somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SUNIL R, General Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that you had a less-than-satisfactory experience. However, I was never informed of any problems with your stay. Had you notified the front desk, we would have rectified any of these problems immediately.

I'm sorry you had to be on the freeway side; you can always request the quiet side. Many people like the side by the freeway but we have others who always request the office side and we do our best to accommodate them. However, there are busy times when the quiet side is first come first serve, unless you had a reservation and requested a certain area in advance.

I am happy to say we have new blankets in the rooms and just so you know, we do have shampoo upon request at the front desk. We also keep extra soaps and towels for those who request them.

The 24-hour Denny's adjacent to us that you mentioned is also now offering a 10% off discount to all our guests. :)

I hope you will return and have a better experience, but if not, good luck in your future travels.

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This was a great place to stay for one night. The room was very cheap, and all I wanted was a clean and inexpesive place to stay for one night. My expectations were not high. I do reccommend it if value is what you are looking for. The lady who checked me in at the desk was very accomodating, as I always check in early. I wanted a downstairs no-smoking room with a single bed and was told she didn't have one ready. She put me in a room with two queens. The room was small but comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side of the motel facing away from the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SUNIL R, Front Office Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank-you so much for your lovely review. I am very proud of my front desk staff and I am happy to hear that the lady at the front desk was so accommodating to your needs. Our customers' comfort and satisfaction is very important to me.

Thanks again and good luck in all your future travels. We hope to see you again!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed here for a week and chose the hotel due to the cheap price compared to other hotels in the area. Very basic - not even a clock or shampoo - but very clean and well maintained. Some rooms have a microfridge, for an extra price. Definately a bit noisy being close to the highway, and heard a few trains and ambulances, but the A/C drowned out the noise. Breakfast was disappointing - just juice and coffee and some wrapped pastry. Overall, very pleased with the value.

Room Tip: rooms away from the freeway side should be quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Deal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stopped here on route to Yosemite from San Francisco, Check-in was easy and trouble free, we have no idea about the area so i cannot comment on the area, seem ok to me, rooms were clean apart from having Black feet after 30 mins of being in room, carpets looked clean but i doubt they were. As a cheap stop over i cant really fault it, as i say, you get what you pay for, if you want the ritz ten pay for it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Novato, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Stayed for one night, basically we just needed a place to sleep. The room was very basic, made bed and a tv, "the towels are kind of scratchy," very much in the league of a Motel 6. Check-in was easy. But the room was LOUD. Very, very LOUD. Our room was on the freeway side of the hotel, literally about a block away from Hwy 99. Also, gas station right next door (though it closes at 11pm), as well as Denny's open 24 hrs, so we had noise from that. Trains throughout the night. So if you like constant freeway noise, trains rolling through, big booming bass from late night party people, the gas station being attended to at night, this may be the place for you. I got about 2 hours of sleep! It was awesome. The only way to avoid the noise would have been to sleep with the air conditioner on all night, at least it would have provided a sort of white noise all night long, a very LOUD white noise that would have drowned out everything else. I personally don't need anything special in a motel room, but I wouldn't stay here again. But if you must stay here, request a room on the side away from the freeway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here on a one night stop over on our way to Sonora. I was looking for something acceptable but not overpriced since we would arrive late and leave early. But, when we pulled in to the parking lot my family gave me the look of "Why did you choose this motel?". The neighborhood is on the lower end and the parking lot had some drinkers/smokers hanging out. I guess they enjoyed watching everyone unload their cars.

Given that this is a hwy 99 motel in a town with nothing to offer, you would expect something a little better given the price. I have stayed in many Motel 6's for much less $ offering much more. The room is stripped down. I was given the TV remote when I checked in? No soaps, 2 thin towels for a party of 4 and no hair dryer. The room had been cleaned but since we found someone elses hairs in the toilet we were wondering if the sheets had really been changed? Your choice, but for the dollars I wonder if there is a better option in Merced?

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Neighborhood and price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

If your on a budget and looking for just a "basic" room, this is the place for you. I booked this property based on previous comments and the ranking on trip advisor (#3).
Positives: Staff was very helpful and accomodating and for the price, well you get what you pay for. Location property is right off hwy 99 southbound so you get drone of freeway traffic as well as the sounds of the late nite train traffic. This property is not located in the best part of town, lots of local foot traffic. Make sure remove all your valuables out of your car and make sure you lock it. Park as close to your room as possible. If you hear any car alarms, check out the window (don't open the door). I found some of the local residents checking the cars for open doors. Their was a bit of a rush for rooms when the bars closed (2 am), it got kinda loud outside. Walls are a bit thin so it was easy to hear others. Won't go into any detail about what you could hear. Rooms are sparten to say the least. Our room had 2 double beds and one chair, no table. We upgraded to a room w/ a fridge&microwave. Beds need to be upgraded but for one nite, what the heck. Make sure you bring your own toiletries, and hair dryer. They only supply bar soap (something from India). A very strange scent and shatters if you drop it. On that note bring your own towels as well.The ones provided are small. If you car needs a sand job you can use the bath towel, it will take the paint right off. No coffee service in the room. The continental breakfast juice/coffee and packaged sweet rolls. no coffee lids for the hot coffee.
My suggestion is consider another location in Merced, unless your budget is such that you can't afford anything else.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Not enough space here
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!