“Perfectly acceptable and conservative” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Seattle, Washington
“Perfectly acceptable and conservative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I had a business meeting in downtown Palo Alto, and all of the city center hotels were priced WAY high. So after looking a little, I came across the Best Western Plus Riviera. This was a clean, conservative, simple and nice hotel. The front desk staff was very pleasant. I had hoped for an early check-in (since I had just flew into San Jose and wanted to change), but they didn't have any rooms available at 11am. They did store my bag, which was nice. The room is simple and neat. Nothing special, but no issues either. The bathroom has a fan, which is always a plus for keeping shower steam reasonable. The walk into the city center takes about 10-15 minutes, is a nice stroll, and didn't bother me at all. It did take a little while for the cab to arrive to pick me up, so call ahead!

Room Tip: Honestly, I think they're all the same...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.com! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be a good value. Our staff tries hard to maintain our guest rooms in top order and are glad they met your standards. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Aiken, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Check in good - manager was v. nice and helpful. Ice machine was broken but he went next door and got ice for us and also discounted our room rate. Our room was a front corner room and very small but clean with adequate amenities. The bathroom was small but clean. The bed was comfortable with good pillows. AC was noisy. We were concerned about being on the front with traffic and were told that it was rush hour and that it would die down. Traffic was pretty constant throughout the night and really picked up about 5:00A. The complimentary breakfast was very good. We had the waffles. There are two levels to this hotel but a luggage cart was provided. The elevator is very small hardly big enough for the cart and one person. All in all this was an good place to stay for one night. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not so close to the highway.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com for our hotel! We thrive on all feedback and use it to try and improve. Let me assure you that since your stay we've replaced our ice machine with a brand new unit and also fixed the air conditioning unit you mentioned to us. Thanks again for your feedback and time. We hope to have you back with us on your next visit into the area!

Chicago IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

This is a pleasant place at a good price for the area. A short drive (or not terribly long walk) to the Stanford campus, and an easy walk to downtown Palo Alto.

My only suggestions would be to ask for a room away from the street on the second floor. Mine was close to the street and the noise is fairly significant, and I heard the person above me walking around.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
SF Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night after attending a late-starting Stanford football game. The hotel is located just a few blocks north of campus on the main four-lane street in the area. It is also right next to the upscale Stanford Shopping Center. The desk clerk gave us Rm. 107 which was located behind the office and nicely blocked street noise. We were pleasantly surprised with the motel since there are many in the area and most are uninspiring. The two-story motel has king and queen rooms which are well-maintained and a bit above average in decor. The two levels of rooms are above the underground parking area. The walkway which overhangs the parking area has a small curve in the railing in front of each room which contains a little bistro table and two chairs with a potted geranium hanging between each table. IT's a nice touch. There is also a small pool, sauna and hot tub which we did not investigate. Our room contained a microwave and refrigerator as well as a work desk with adjustable chair and two easy chairs. The bathroom had a window over hte tub which enabled us to get fresh air when we opened the front window as well. The bed was very comfortable and had a duvet instead of the usual dubious blanket. The lobby is small but functional with the usual free breakfast of boxed cold cereals, juices, coffee, toast and pastry as well as make-your-own waffles. The desk clerks were both very friendly and helpful. While our room was very quiet (the hotel was far from full), I'd avoid booking the king suite which adjoined the office area and was less than 20 feet from the busy roadway. Overall, we'll book this hotel again if we attend another late game.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BW_Riviera, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. We here at the Best Western Riviera are glad you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We thrive on feedback and are glad to know we've met the standards you've come to expect from Best Western. We hope to see you again if you're ever back in the area, especially now that Stanford Football season is back in full swing!

Best regards,

Benicia, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed 2 nights on the Memorial Day weekend; the room rate was very reasonable. The hotel is located right on the border with Palo Alto. It's about a 6 block walk to downtown Menlo Park & a short drive to downtown Palo Alto & Stanford. The Stanford Shopping Center is about 1/2 block away. Our room was very clean. There was a long vanity counter, which was nice. There was a microwave & refrigerator. The beds were quite hard. The fan in the bathroom was super loud; fortunately, there was a window in the bathroom so you didn't have to turn on the light every time you went into the bathroom. Parking is covered but it is not underground parking - the photo shows the parking situation. There is a TINY elevator - we chose to use the stairs. The wifi worked fine for us & there is a computer in the lobby that can be used by guests. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
BW_Riviera, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to document your stay with us on Trip Advisor. We love to read comments and work hard to improve our hotel based on what our customers experience. I will be working closely with maintenance to look into any issues with bathroom fans that we have through out the hotel. Thanks again for your comments!

Best Regards,

Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

This was my 3rd trip to Palo Alto and longest stay of the three. Prices vary in almost every hotel by day and time of year. My previous two trips, I've moved between the Best Western Riviera and the Westin (Palo Alto) to get the best stay for the money but in this case I spent all 6 nights at the BW Riviera. Of the 5 different rooms I've stayed in over 2008-2010, Room 114 was by far the best of the lot for the following reason... the street traffic noise along with the BART can be easily heard from every room except this one... Its tucked away in the corner and is blocked by the northern most block of rooms as well as the main lobby bldg. I'm not sure but I'd think the room directly above this may be slightly louder cause it sits higher than the lobby bldg but is probably a good second choice.

Rm 114 has a comfortable queen bed, a couch/chaise and matching chair along with an office desk & chair. Cable and Wireless internet worked just fine. It has a fabulous bathroom (travertine floors and PERFECTLY CLEAN tiles), and new clean carpet (as of this writing). IF it had a flat screen TV, I'd put in on scale of a much higher end hotel. I've posted pics if your a skeptic.

Now for the (few and minor) complaints of this room... Digital alarm clock was broken, dorm fridge fan was noisy, and in all rooms, there's a 1 inch gap at the bottom of the entry door. Either unplug the fridge or do what i did and place a bar of soap under the front of it... that quieted it down (and its probably still there :-) I also covered the door gap with a towel and threw two pillows over it to help reduce the noise as much as possible. Frankly, I would've enjoyed staying another week if I could. Good luck on getting this room!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Thak you so much for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate feedback and strive to improve based on what our customers tell us. Please note we will be looking into the issue with the alarm clock and noisy refridgerator. Thanks again for your comments!

Best Regards,

Tacoma WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

This is my first time staying in Palo Alto so I didn't know what value hotels were in the area. I went straight to Best Western's website, as I was confident that if a BW hotel was avaliable in the area, it would be very good. I wasn't disappointed! The Riviera is a great value for this high-end part of the Penninsula. Next door is the Stanford Shopping Center, restaurants are within a block, and it is central to our needs. The Riviera itself is absolutely lovely. It has a bistro look with a small patio table and chairs in front of each room, ivy climbing the walls, and charming wrought iron railing all around. The rooms are what I've come to expect of BW - clean, spacious, and well appointed for its price range. Well worth the stay! Oh, there's a pool, small gym, substantial continental breakfast, PC, and wireless!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. We here at the Best Western Riviera are glad you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We thrive on feedback and are glad to know we've met the standards you've come to expect from Best Western. We hope to see you again if you're ever back in the area!

Best regards,

Front Office Supervisor

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Riviera? Share your experiences!