“Very basic, poor breakfast, no wifi for everyone” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Inn

Mermaid Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Menlo Park
Mermaid Inn
Save Saved
You added Mermaid Inn to your Saves list
727 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Menlo Park
Willebroek, Belgium
“Very basic, poor breakfast, no wifi for everyone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We made our booking online, and when we arrived we had to wait 15 minutes to check in, because the receptionist keeps everything in a hand written log....
Rooms are basic but clean, but there is no door between the bathroom/toilet and the rest of the room. The walls are paper thin so we could hear the tv playing in the room next to ours.
There is nothing much nearby to do. This hotel serves more as a roadside stop, to continue you journey the next day.
The breakfast is very tiny. Coffee, bad orange juice and wrapped cinnamon rolls.
There is a safeway nearby where you can go for actual breakfast.
Also, the 'promised' Wi-Fi is only promised in the lobby. At our room, the signal was unexisting.

Room Tip: If you want Wi-Fi, make sure you have a room close to the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

If you like dirty rooms with cookie crumbles on your bed, roaches and management with no empathy - this is your place! As soon as we entered our first room we realize that we've been had. It was beyond shabby with wires hanging from lamps, carpets torn and a TV from the 80s. Then we realized how dirty it was and demanded, and got, a new room. This room was cleaner, and efforts to revamp it had been made by fitting new lamp shades. We could tell, cause the plastic wrapping was still on. Returning from dinner after dark my girlfriend went back to the first room to look for a bracelet, she found it and also a nice juicy ROACH on the table. We packed up and left immediately!! Management's parting gift was to charge us half the rate. Outrageous! Never going back and will file a formal complaint!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Pretty basic motel - could have done with a good clean!

Room was quite large but basic - some of the rooms are more modern than others and some have kitchenettes.

Breakfast was fairly standard for this type of place. Cereal, bagels and coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the "recently" renovated rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed in this motel for three nights while visiting family in the area. It was more reasonably priced than other accommodations in the area. The room was very clean and the facility was quiet. Good location as there was a Safeway grocery right next door. It had a refrigerator and microwave oven. Free wi-fi. Staff was very accomodating when we needed more towels. The only complaint was that it was run down. For example, the toilet seat was loose and the bed was sagging. However the excellent location and cleanliness made up for it. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had a conference near Stanford and I looked for a nearby place to stay for the week.
Due to my personal health issues, I needed a place that also has a kitchenette. Luckily for me, I came across the Mermaid Inn and managed to book a room.

The location is very convenient. There's a large Safeway grocery store right next to the motel which is open 24/7 and the Stanford Shopping Center is a 10-minute walk away. There's a bus stop right near the Safeway store, and free shuttles to Stanford pass through it almost around 20 minutes (look for the BOH line). The caltrain station is also pretty close to the Motel.

The staff was incredibly kind. They had no problem letting me check out late and were very kind to assist me throughout my stay. The rooms had everything I needed, including free wifi (which we all know is as important as... water).

Great place, will definitely return whenever I visit Stanford.

Room Tip: Top level floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This unfortunate stay made me think about how far away -- both in distance and in connection many hotel owners are from properties. These buildings, filled with rooms and services that busy travellers like us depend on are mere investments for many -- and there can be little concern for the actual customers. The hotel room had stains on chairs, carpets, old and questionable bed linens, bugs coming in through holes in screens, peeling paint, water stains... the works. I regret that I was too busy from the moment I arrived until early the next morning to change to a different hotel --- b/c it was not a good night's sleep in such an environment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fallbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked here for a night while visiting my son because it was the only local accomodation with a room under $150 a night. There was even a special on for $75 a night. This is really a motel. The blue and white sea theme is kind of kitschy and there were some mermaid figures in the office. Everything had been painted recently. There is a pool. The woman at the desk was so very bubbly that it made the experience very positive. The room was small but comfortable. The plumbing worked, the bed was okay. I didn't use the microwave or refrigerator or tv in the room, but I did use the wireless internet connection. There was no noise during the night, not even from the road, and the location is in an upscale area so I wasn't worried about my car. There was a Continental breakfast but I chose to go out to eat with my son instead. It was close to all major streets and next door to a grocery store/shopping area. I'd stay here again on my next visit. Problem was that in the room is a directory of local restaurants with stars by those indicating there was a binder with menus in them in the office. When asked the staff had no idea of what I was asking which made me think it had recently changed hands.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mermaid Inn? Share your experiences!