“Neighborhood Gem Innovative Tasty Food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 120 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Menlo Park, California
“Neighborhood Gem Innovative Tasty Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Lunch at Blue Garden Café situated in Allied Arts. An interesting location set in the center of an artist community of little studios built originally in the 1920. Some studios are gifts shops.

The garden setting is lovely full of flowers and fruit trees.

If possible sit outside on patio if weather is good. Food is fresh and local Bay Area produce is used. The menu is not large but has a wide variety of items for all tastes. On our last visit with 6 others, there was a hint of thyme used in the salad dressing that we all loved. There was something for everyone in our group, from salad to which chicken salmon or shrimp could be added. Burgers, and sliders, sandwiches, soup, all well presented and very flavorful.

Great place for lunch, outside is quiet, inside can get a little noisy if patio doors are closed as the room is small. Deserts are out of this world. Service is unhurried but efficient and friendly.

Haven't tried morning coffee menu or the afternoon tea but plan to do so soon.

Note: if there is a wedding in the afternoon, this can mean the patio can't be used for dining.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“Upscale luncheon place for an older clientele”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I would come here with my grandma... If my grandma was paying. My fiance and I came and felt super out of place-- it definitely caters primarily to MP's more senior community.

The prices are also on the high end-- $7 for a very small (appetizer-sized) bowl of soup and ~$12 for the quiche of the day, which was what I ordered. It was mixed vegetable, and it was delicious. The crust was flaky, and it was jam-packed with wild mushrooms and asparagus. The soup of the day was corn chowder which my fiance and I agreed looked grayish but tasted way better than it looked, with bright and fresh pops of corn kernels.

Price and ambiance-wise, it wasn't for us. The group of older ladies sipping iced tea and chatting behind us were having a wonderful time, and understandably so-- it is the perfect place for its regular clientele! That just wasn't us.

• Visited May 2014