“Good food and uplifting atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Left Bank Menlo Park Brasserie

Left Bank Menlo Park Brasserie
635 Santa Cruz Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (Formerly Left Bank - Menlo Park)
(650) 473-6543
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Left Bank Menlo Park Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 99 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Doyle
Transit: The Caltrans stops only two blocks away.
Description: Left Bank is an authentic French brasserie celebrating Mediterranean Cuisine. Located in Menlo Park's charming downtown, Left Bank transports guests to a quaint brasserie in Paris. Open since 1998 and completely re-modeled in 2008, Left Bank offers a casual, charming brasserie setting where diners feast upon classic southern French cuisine. Our outdoor sidewalk cafe seating evokes a lively European atmosphere and is the perfect place for just an appetizer and beer or a 3-course meal with a beautiful bottle of wine. Whether it's at our sidewalk table, the gorgeous glass-walled bar, or in the casually elegant main dining room, you'll enjoy a fun & french experience. Thirteen years of working with local organic farms allows us to bring you the best seasonal ingredients available. Chef de Cuisine Steven Catalano offers an always changing menu focused on Southern French Cuisine.
Menlo Park, California
“Good food and uplifting atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Consistently good. I really like their steak frites and tuna salad. It's always busy and you need to reserve.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belfast, United Kingdom
“OK place for OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I dined here with a group of about 10 people. The place was busy and noisy and had a pretty good vibe about it: an energetic atmosphere all round. The service was prompt but lacked any real finesse or style. It's not the kind of place I would visit for a special or intimate meal.

On to the food. It wasn't bad, but there was little especially French about it, apart from what was written on the menu. I had an asparagus starter which was quite delicious, but it wasn;t particularly French. Same goes for my main course of poached salmon in a light dill-type dressing. Again, pretty good, but there was little to anchor it to French cuisine, save for some French beans! To be honest I had expected some more bistro, rustic, type food but it just didn't happen. The food was good and the wines pleasant, and perhaps that is more than enough.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Service,atmosphere, and food great. It has a separate bar area to have cocktails before dinner. Most dishes are French cuisine. We have had lunch and dinner here several times and have found the food and service very consistent .

Visited December 2013
San Jose, California
“Good food, unbelievably horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

What do I mean by horrible service? Where to begin? We were seated at a two person table placed only about a foot from the next table. The waiter, taking the order from the table next to ours, stood between the tables with his butt a little too close to my face. When he came around to the other side to take our drink orders, he kept staring out across the room as if he were too distracted to listen. My husband ordered a cocktail and I ordered a glass of wine. We waited, and waited. He came back and placed an empty wine glass in front of me. We were ready to order food by this time so he took our order, again staring across the room and writing in his little notebook as if it were an afterthought. We waited some more. Then another waiter, or busboy, came with our appetizers. Where were our drinks? We waited a little longer and then somebody else brought our drinks (my wine came in a little carafe, which explains the empty wine glass), but my husband sent his back because he didn't want a gin cocktail with his foie gras, he wanted the cocktail first (isn't this normal?) then a glass of wine with his food. A little later yet another person came (the bartender?) with the wine, apologized, and offered to comp the wine. Well, thanks, I guess. We finished the appetizers and then the busboy returned with our main courses, of course not knowing who got which. At least the orders were correct. Thanks, again?
The sad part of all this tale: the food was really good. I had a nice spinach salad and my husband liked his foie gras (even better with his red wine). For the main course I had a fish dish with exotic mushrooms and a lovely sauce, and my husband had grilled chicken with excellent french fries. We were so bothered by the poor service that we did not order coffee or dessert even though the selections on the menu looked delicious. We just wanted to get out of there.
On a Sunday evening there appeared to be quite a few people enjoying their meals here, especially families (the prices are fair). It was not overcrowded, though, and there was plenty of staff so I don't understand the lousy service or the popularity of the place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Nice French restaurant, if a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Realistic French dining room, and a good interpretation of typical French dishes. Service was attentive without being too "in your face". Could have had more reasonably priced French Wines on the list.

Visited September 2013