“Better then I expected!” 5 of 5 stars

Red Cottage Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1704 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
oregon
“Better then I expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

When I first pulled into the parking lot I was thinking I had made a terrible mistake booking a room there. The girl at the front desk was efficient but not overly nice and the "lobby" wasn't anything special so I was still a bit leery as I was walking to my room. Once I got to my room I was very pleasantly surprised. It was decorated very nice, looked immaculate, and had a nice little fenced in patio. The bed was very comfortable and the it was also very quiet which is extremely important to me because I'm a light sleeper. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

In Aug, 2011, we stayed here for 5 nights while our son swam at Jr. Nationals at Stanford. So much better than a big hotel. Quiet. Grounds are beautiful. The breakfast buffet had lots of choices. Front desk staff was always cheerful. The room was clean but not huge. The bathroom was nice size; there was a very large refrigerator (which is great when trying to feed a hungry swimmer); and a nice little patio outside our sliding door. We didn't spend much time in our room, except to sleep, but it more than served our purpose. I would definitely stay at this place again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

When I booked the room, I wasn't quite sure what to expect as usually we stay a "name brand" properties. The Red Cottage went beyond our expectations. The rooms were very clean with wonderful amenities including in room refridge and microwave. Breakfast was the usual continental, but everything was replenished promptly. Staff was always pleasant and helpful Although we didn't use the pool, it also looked clean and well cared for. I would definately stay at this property again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

This hotel is a small, clean, well maintained two-story hotel with cheerful, modern rooms. The beds were comfortable; the bathroom had a large tile shower; a mini fridge & microwave are included; and there is a nice and quiet outdoor pool area. The continental breakfast was simple but adequate and the staff was helpful and friendly. I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My son and I stayed here while he was attending a camp at Stanford. I was concerned that it would be too much like a motel, but I was very pleasantly surprised! The place was charming, the rooms were extremely clean, appliances looked like they were new, and we had a little fenced back patio that was private and comfortable. There was a nice selection of breakfast items that were complementary (yogurt, fruit, pastries, etc.), as well as cookies, hot chocolate, etc. throughout the day (a nice treat!). It was set far back from the street, so we never heard any noise (in fact, we never heard any neighboring guests either, even though the place was fully booked while we were there). And it was very conveniently located in what felt/looked like a very safe area. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

My mother was in the hospital 3 weeks - this was the third hotel I tried and the last - called Red Cottage first when she had a return hospital visit. While there a few hotels closer to the hospital it was still very close and it was MUCH quieter than the others I had tried as its lots is further off El Camino and didn't have the tight parking. Great one cup coffee maker in room (supplies for multiple cups) and the room is very comfortable and really clean. Simple but adequate breakfast and all the staff I encountered were very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

So we shall. Although it is certainly well located for business travelers, the Red Cottage Inn is not in walking distance of either Menlo Park or Redwood City. In addition, the stretch along El Camino Real has no shoulder. But for those attending graduation, business meetings, or wanting a means to relax, this is certainly a solid choice.

There are indeed the sounds of the railroad nearby, but they never intrude. Because the motel is set back from the highway, much of the traffic noise is unobtusive. Parking is very simple and there is even space for handicapped guests. Included in the price of the room is an "expanded continental breakfast," according to one automobile guide. And here is one of the areas in need of improvement. With the exception of some fruit and hardboiled eggs, most of the offerings are poured from cartons or wrapped in cellphane. There are three types of dry cereal--all corn based and virtually without fiber or protein. The rolls, muffins, danishes, are infested with excess sugar. To its credit, the motel provides yoghurt, orange juice, and some fruit. But clearly breakfast is more of a footnote instead of a highlight.

I would also call attention to the pricing. At $159 and $164--including auto club discount--I expect more value. Perhaps being the first of June when high school graduation events bring many guests the management feels justified charging these fares. But with other recommended properties charging 25% less, perhaps a reassessment of fees is in order.

But the real reason for selecting any establishment is security and comfort of bed. Yes. Red Cottage Inn provides small but comfortable rooms with very nice beds. There are free wi-fi and local calls, all trademarks of lower classified lodgings (the higher the classification, the fewer the included amenities).

My wife likes the private patio area outside and the shower in the bathroom ( watch for squirting jet streams of water!). She'll gladly bring her own cereal and muffin. That says it all.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Red Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!