“Okay if customer service and breakfast is not important” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1315 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Menlo Park
Sacramento, California, United States
“Okay if customer service and breakfast is not important”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Inn is an upscaled motel, but it is still a motel. The parking is extremely tight and with a large car, I had worries someone would nick my car. Fortunately, no one did. My issue is with the breakfast. It was the standard non-descript continental fare. There is only one waffle iron and had to wait in queue. On our second morning, my wife and I walked in, the young service desk attendent was finishing making herself a waffle. When I tried to pour myself some batter, the machine was empty. When I asked her to refill it, she checked around, squeeze some out from the bottom, and then came back and told me they do not have any more. When questioning her, she said their items are as supplies last. Upon further questioning, the issue was the mixing container was dirty and obviously cleaning it to make another batch was not an option. They have an active housekeeping staff and she was content to leave me hanging. I believe she was texting with the manager, because she came back and closed the cover hiding the batter dispenser. The older I get, the more customer service trumps the product. Next time, we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Santa Rosa, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

All staff were informed of our special requests (very late check in, extra towels) and were courteous and helpful. It looks awful from the outside but the inside was clean and spacious. It is not a fancy hotel, but it met our needs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
The outside won't look awful for long! We are looking forward to our exterior renovations that will be starting this summer. We are always happy to accommodate our guests and their needs as much as possible. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

But for a motel in the expensive Menlo Park/Palo Alto it's fine. It's a motel through and through, on a busy stretch of highway, unprepossessing. The first room they gave me was in a cave next to the ice machine but I asked for a room with more light and got one on the second floor that was fine. Breakfast (included) was surprisingly inclusive. The manager was very helpful with an Expedia snafu.
No restaurant and nothing that looked promising in the neighborhood. I went to Trader Joe's just down the street and got a microwavable Indian meal. Just right.
Not a place for the luxury seeker or even the casual vacationer but if you're looking for a place to sleep while traveling on business, especially if it's your own dime (self-employed), this is perfect.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
I apologize for the room that you were originally placed in. The exterior look of our Inn will be renovated soon and will no longer have a motel reflection. If you are ever in the area again, I would love to give some recommendations for restaurants! Naomi Sushi (across from the Inn) was voted best sushi in all of Menlo Park and has received some amazing reviews from both Yelp! and our clients! I hope you will come visit again and have a more pleasant stay the second time around.
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked two rooms. The king room looked good the double queen had issues. Stained carpet and chair, peeling wallpaper, holes in towels. Bed and sheets were like new, comfy beds. Staff very nice, but it seemed funny they would allow a stained desk chair and carpet. Maybe the room had not been detailed. Location good for being in Palo Alto. Resturant close by Jason's was terrific!

• Stayed February 2012
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
First of all, thank you for taking the time to review us - we listen to each an every one of our guests in order to create a better experience at our inn. I do apologize for the issues you faced while staying with us. Rooms sometimes are cancelled but other guests and that is why our room availability can change from minute to minute. As far the room issues - we are having our staff go into the room you stayed in to take care of those problems. Again, we do apologize for your negative experience and do appreciate you bringing several issues to our attention. Thank you!
Olinda, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I booked this accommodation because it offered a reduced rate for two nights if attending a conference at Menlo College. The night I arrived was the day before the conference. I was charged double the conference rate for that night. I was told there were no rooms available on the second night of the conference. However, when I arrived to check in....surprise surprise there might be a room available. I had fortunately booked that night elsewhere and paid for it in advance. Unfortunately, I was unable to book any more nights at the other place, because I would have preferrred to stay there. I ended up staying 4 nights in total at Menlo Park Inn. The room smelled- the kind of smell that comes from a musty or mouldy bathroom. It was noisy- could hear other guests- walls seemed paper thin. Breakfast was not worth even looking at.
I was lucky enough to get one night at Red Cottages just down the road. I recommend that anyone staying in the area try there first. I certainly will be. I am likely to stay in the area twice per year for up to two weeks each time. I will be booking Red Cottages.

Room Tip: I doubt there is much difference between rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Modesto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Helpful and friendly staff and relatively quiet for the location. Older facility that is well maintained and updated, with pretty good amenities. Only suggestion I would make is to find something to clean the grout in the shower or re-grout. Will probably stay there again should the need arise.

Room Tip: get as far back as possible to get away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We really appreciate you bringing the grout to our attention. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and thanks to your input, we have already taken care of the grouting issue. We look forward to your next stay with us and will do everything we can to make your experience great!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My first impression of the menlo park inn was, omg, I came to the wrong place as it is right on the main drag of menlo park and looks like a 1950's motel. After a night here, I'm so glad I found it! Imagine a 1950's drive in courtyard motel, tastefully updated in stucco, ample parking, fresh baked choc chip cookies on arrival, Starbucks on tap, a bed the westin chain would be proud to call their own, refrigerator, single cup keurig coffee maker with Starbucks coffee, fluffy towels, nice lighting, and a built in cell phone/iPhone/iPad charger on a nicely sized desk, and don't forget the 40" LCD tv, DVD player and free wifi. It's that good.

While the immediate neighborhood is forgettable, two blocks and you're on menlo parks main shopping street, two blocks to the Caltrain , a mile from Stanford. Couldn't be more conveniently located.

Check out Ten Fu Chinese restaurant across the street. Fresh, delicious made to order Chinese that would be at home in hong kong I know, I've been there many times.

All in all, a nice surprise in downtown menlo park, minutes from Facebook hdqts, Stanford and palo alto. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, traffic noise could be a problem closer to the street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Menlo Park Inn! Thank you for sharing all the reasons you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on giving more than what is expected, and we hope to see you very soon!

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!