“Alex Chases Salon at Rosewood Sand Hill” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Menlo Park
San Mateo, California, USA
“Alex Chases Salon at Rosewood Sand Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This review is for the Alex Chases Salon at the Rosewood hotel. The salon is a beautiful,open and modern space. It is seperate from Sense Spa so you can gossip as loud as you want with your hairstylist. My haristylist was Elaine and she was so awesome and nice. I left the salon feeling like a celebrity!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here a few times. Always great. Convenient location off 280 vs having to deal with traffic through Palo Alto. If you are doing business in Sand Hill/Palo Alto area or visiting Stanford, best place in the area to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

You would expect that a hotel near a great university, next door to a Linear Accelerator, bordered by the 280 Freeway in less than scenic Menlo Park, would be moderately good, but never great. The Rosewood Sand Hill is great in virtually every respect.

The rooms are excellent: spacious, intelligently furnished, with first rate amenities like multi-channeled flat screens, iPod ready, large showers, big closets, wi-fi, super comfortable bed and pillows, and served by the finest room service you have ever experienced.

Poolside service is what you remember as a kid: smoothies, sandwiches and fries, abundant pool toys and ample, comfortable seating.

The restaurant and bar are inviting, staffed well, and quietly serving food that ought to attract neighbors, not just hotel guests. And Menlo Park is surrounded by restaurants that set a high bar. The hotel meets the challenge.

If you are driving to or from SF and want a place to stay overnight, you can't go wrong - except the 1 night idea. You will want to stay longer. Go over to Stanford and, if you are a shopaholic, OD at the neaby shopping center with the coolest Apple store, and every major US luxury brand.

Then, maybe you get to see a Linear Accelerator in action. Not sure about that.

Room Tip: Don't worry about being too close to the pool or the highway. We were and neither was an issue...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Incredible hotel and grounds.
The restaurant is to die for! Expensive but worth it, especially for a special occasion.
The bar is excellent and a great place for a lite meal, especially in the 'living room' next to it.
The spa is one of the best in the San Francisco Bay Area!
I highly recommend this hotel, even if you don't spend the night there!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel has thought of everything to make your room comfortable and inviting. We stayed here for three nights while having some work done at our home which is 5 minutes away. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you have a good experience and the rooms are so well done I can't think of a thing I would change. The bathrooms are spacious and well-appointed and the bed very comfortable with wonderful linens. There is even a light under the cabinets to make it easy to find your way to the bathroom at night. No bright lights glaring at you!

The only negative I would have is the difficulty we had finding parking near our room during the lunch and dinner hours. Meetings at the hotel might add to the problem. People coming in to eat or attend meetings self-park in areas that should be reserved for hotel guests. I would suggest securing these areas with a gate that can only be accessed by hotel guests.. It really was a problem for us as we were back and forth to our home several times during the day and couldn't find a place to park!

Room Tip: I have stayed in the hotel several times and find all the rooms to be very nice and quite spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel does everything well. The staff is super friendly and quickly accomodates any request. We had a large suite. The bedroom is large and has a big flatscreen. The bed and oversize pillows were very comfortable. There is a digital thermostat that worked well. We had a large walk in closet, big flat shelves for our suitcases and open space under for shoes. The bathroom was very large with a soaking tub, a shower that could easily fit 4 people and a separate toilet room. The shower had both a rain dome and a handheld with good temperature control (although early one morning the shower did not heat up for 10 minutes). There were 2 sinks. We also had a large living room with terrace. The living room had a sofa and wing chairs. Also, there was a work table/kitchen table. The room also had a fireplace. We had a guest bathroom with nice marble everywhereand both bathrooms lights turn on automatically when you approach so we did not have to leave a light on or stumble about in the dark -a nice touch. All in all the room was very competent. The room was around the pool area. One caveat- if you have a problem with your knees you need to get an upper room suite as you must walk up/down a number of stairs to get to the pool level suite. The restaurant has pretty views of the hills and you an either eat outside under heat lamps or inside. The breakfast was included in our package and was good although the portions were small. We ate at Madera one evening. The service was very friendly. The fish was excellent but the salads were mediocre. There is a large wine list but most wines are from France. If you are local that is probably fun, but being from Chicago, and having been to France many many times, we would preferred more local wines. The price for the suite was very reasonable compared to many other places we have been but I presume that it is because we were in Silicon Valley and not New York, Paris or the French Riviera. The only downside to the hotel is that it is not walking distance to anything. There is a large bar and secondary room with jazz band on the weekend. It was very comfortable. My wife had a pedicure which was reasonably priced for a hotel and professionally done.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper suite by the pool. It has nice views from the terrace and does not require going u...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The BF and I stayed here for a wedding. Since we booked the room through the wedding party, the cost of the room was half of the price given online. Given that, this place is still pretty pricey at half off. Not sure if we would ever come "just because."

We got a standard room on the ground level. The patio opens to greens that anyone can walk by, so we basically had the curtains closed the entire time.

This is is definitely sprawled out. We were in cottage 16, which was one away from the pool. Definitely accept their offer to bring your bags to the room if you have more than a hand luggage. We had to go down a bunch of steps to get to the room so the BF had to lug my bag all the way there.

The room itself is very nice. I love the walk in closet, the lighting that is controlled on TV, and the shower. The rain shower head from the ceiling along with a separate hand held shower head is a great combo.The fixtures for the tub is cool, but I like deep soaking tubs, and this one was not deep at all. The bed was really comfy and I had a pretty good night sleep.

The food here is pretty amazing. I think this is the first wedding I've attended where I though the food was amazeballs! We also ordered room service the next morning. It was deathly expensive but we didn't want to get out butts out of bed. The person brings everything to your room in a basket, and sets up the table for you. It was a bit weird since they're in your room for a bit and I was still in my jammies under the cover. So if you get room service, throw on a robe before they come in! A service charge is already added to the bill so you don't have to tip the guy. The BF was going to hand him a tip and he told us about the service charge. He could've totally said nothing and got some extra cash, but I appreciate that he was honest.

When we were here, the pool was packed during the day with kids. I mean, it sounded like I was at raging waters. I took a dip in the pool at 7am, well before anyone else. The deepest part is 5ft 3in? 5ft 4? I could swim freestyle about a third of the way lengthwise before my arms start hitting the bottom.

As for the wedding, the ceremony took place outside at 4pm. The sun was raging in us and we all thought we were going to melt. I was surprised that there was no shade provided, and after the ceremony, one of the bridesmaid told me that they asked the hotel if there were parasols or something. But apparently you have to ask in advance. So if you're thinking about getting married in the sun, think about your guests and have shade handy, even if its an umbrella.

So all in all, this place is nice, but at this price point, I feel like I can go to a more private hotel where I can really get some R&R. The staff here is definitely exceptional. Everyone was really nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room. And if you're in the room during the day, you might not want to face t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!