“Very Good - F&B quality and service needs improving” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2825 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Menlo Park
Boston
“Very Good - F&B quality and service needs improving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I won't repeat the already stated positive aspects about the hotel. However, a 3 night stay left me with the impression that the food and beverage department and service needs an overhaul.

First, there is way too long a wait between ordering and receiving room service. Forty-five minutes in the morning, when one has meetings etc to attend is just not acceptable. I ordered room service a few times and this seemed standard.

Second, they got my order entirely wrong, not once but twice e.g. the eggs benedict came as something completely different. It had to be sent back and I began the wait, all over again.

Third, after complaining to the F&B team about the above, someone was meant to get back to me in "just a few minutes" but there was no follow up.

Considering the price of the hotel, and the food - where you don't get away with a room service order that is less than about $50 at base for a main, this was markedly poor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RSHManagement, Manager at Rosewood Sand Hill, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience at our hotel. Our goal is to completely delight and satisfy our guests and we did not provide you with our usual high level of service. All of the issues you brought up have been addressed with the Food & Beverage management and staff.

We've appreciate your business and again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Firstly, the weather of Menlo Park does NOT lend itself to an outdoor layout of this type. Not sure what they were thinking there.

Secondly, when I came to get breakfast in the morning, the very rude hostess asked if I had a reservation. I said, "I'm staying at the hotel." She replied, very condescedingly, "Well, we're VERY busy and you should have made a reservation." I'm sorry. I don't care what Silicon Valley tycoons choose to power breakfast there, you look after your hotel guests. Luckily, an alert manager stepped in and quickly found us a table in the albeit busy but not totally full restaurant.

That being said, everyone else was very friendly. The design of the rooms was very nice.

Since there are only two decent hotels in the area, this is definitely better than the Four Seasons which is lacks any life whatsoever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience at our hotel. Our goal is to completely delight and satisfy our guests and we did not provide you with our usual high level of service. The issue you encountered in Madera has been addressed with the appropriate management and staff.

We appreciate your business and again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again - hopefully when it's not raining and cold!
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were lucky enough to stay here when my husband was in town for work. Having previously stayed at The Carlyle, Rosewood Mayakoba and Rosewood Hotel Georgia, I had high expectations and I was not disappointed.

The property and grounds are beautiful and perfectly maintained. The rooms are enormous and resemble small cottages that are scattered throughout the property. The service was exceptional - the Rosewood standard - from the front desk, housekeeping, servers and concierge. The outdoor bar had a great wine list and the spa was worth the price.

My only complaint would be that the bars get packed beginning at 4:30 p.m. and it is almost impossible for hotel guests (or anyone else) arriving after that to get a seat. When paying the rate associated with the Rosewood, it would be nice for them to find a way to accommodate guests along with the local after-work crowd.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My experience at Rosewood Menlo Park was very pleasant. I usually get pancakes and pasta at a hotel but this time the food was so good that I tried something different. I tried french toast! They were also very attentive to food allergies. Rooms were good in size and nicely appointed. If we needed something, they were also quite fast to bring it to us. Room service was a little slow, but as mentioned, the food was great when it arrived. The hotel is in a nice location and we never had to go far to find what we needed. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: We were on the side facing the pool and it was fine but it was also far too cold to swim. In warmer...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We checked in right before Christmas with the hotel filled with holiday parties but not many room guests. Upon arriving, I realized that I had left my backpack filled with gifts including an iPad at National Rental Car at SFO. I was explaining this to my wife while checking in at the Rosewood. The check in clerk overheard me and immediately offered to help. By the time we reached our room, he had located and secured the bag with specific instructions on how to retrieve it. Amazing service!

The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated with a large bathroom with a big shower and separate bath. Our room was adjacent to the pool. This would have been nice except it rained the entire 3 days we were there and hence it was a negative as it was quite a walk from the lobby. It would have been nice if just once they had offered us a ride in one of their covered golf carts. The workout/spa area is one of the nicest that I have seen. Prices are expensive but the service is exceptional. We'll go back

Room Tip: Find a room close to parking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here a few times for a one night getaway. Even though we live in Menlo, it felt like we were far away from home and the service was amazing. Throw in spa and dinner and you will be in heaven. They have a great weekend package since I think the hotel is mostly full on weekdays with business travelers. On the weekends we have been there its felt very quiet and tranquil. We will return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great location. Great hotel. The service is wonderful and they take care of all the little details that make for a wonderful stay.
We arrived late since we were coming in from the east coast. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful.
The rooms are large with a fabulous bathroom (also large) and facilities
Every service interaction we have had has been terrific!
We will return here often.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!