“Bedbugs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Inn

Save Saved
You added Stanford Inn to your Saves list
Stanford Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   115 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (Formerly Stanford Arms Motel)   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Menlo Park
San Francisco
“Bedbugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel also goes by "The Stanford Inn", but there is another "Stanford Inn" nearby. This post applies to the former Stanford Arms, now marketing itself as "The Stanford Inn".

I stayed there for three nights. They were under construction, but renting rooms.

Despite paying more than I would have at the neighboring Best Western, I was treated to bed bugs, which I brought back home.

It took us over six months to get rid of them. When I talked to the manager, he was sympathetic, but could not do anything, and referred me to the owners. They were unresponsive.

The windows didn't close or lock, neither the phone nor TV worked, and there was three-dimensional mold on the baseboards. Though the manager tried his best to help out with all these problems, got the mold cleaned up, and worked on the other stuff with genuine effort, I never felt "right" in the room.

The reason? Bedbugs. Though I didn't figure it out until six weeks later, when they had set up shop in my home and covering us with bites every night. When we figured out it was bedbugs, I dug the luggage out and sure enough, there were bedbugs in the seams of my luggage. I had not traveled anywhere else with that luggage for months before or since, and that was the only possible source.

I now feel completely stupid for staying there when I knew the place was not maintained properly. Never again. Now I travel with a flashlight and magnifying glass, and I inspect every hotel room before I stay there. I enclose my belongings in an extra-large ziplock bag, and I do not place any of my personal belongings on the bed.

I wash my clothing in hot and dry on hot for an hour after returning from trips, and immediately unpack and inspect everything. This sounds like a lot to do, but I would do twice as much to avoid ever having bedbugs again.

• Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
stanfordinn, manager at Stanford Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Please note that the hotel has new owners now and that all the beds, beddings, draperies, furniture, TV, practically almost everything in the room in new. When we bought the property the rooms were not in a good condition but now after the renovation and the new management no one should get a chance to complain.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stanford Inn

Address: 115 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (Formerly Stanford Arms Motel)
Location: United States > California > Menlo Park
Business Center with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Menlo Park
Hotel Class:2 star — Stanford Inn 2*
Charming affordable California Hotel Centrally located near Stanford University, Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto and Silicon Valley high-tech Investment Centers of Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park. We are ideally suited for long term stays as "Your Residence in California." We offer Studio, one- and two-bedroom units with kitchenettes, free Internet, free HBO, air conditioning and business center facilities. Bicycles are available for rent. Stay with us and visit nearby attractions of San Francisco, San Jose, Yosemite, Monterey, and wine country. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Stanford Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Stanford Hotel Menlo Park

If you own or manage Stanford Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

;