“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Inn

Save Saved
You added Stanford Inn to your Saves list
Stanford Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   115 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (Formerly Stanford Arms Motel)   |
Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in Menlo Park
Santa Monica, California
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

This is reference to Stanford Inn, on 115 El Camino Real, Menlo Park.

The hotel doesn't look like much from the outside. The hotel across the street, the Stanford Park Inn, looks much more modern and well-kept.

I was "upgraded" and stayed in one of the first floor units. The unit had an overall old feeling, but was relatively comfortable.

The bathroom had a window which opened right to the outside walkway. There was a full walk-in closet (probably a remnant from the previous life of this motel as efficiency apartments). There was a updated living area and dining area with nice fixtures. The kitchen was fully stocked which was a surprise.

The pros about this motel is that it was only 2 blocks from the local mall, which had various eating options. I had booked this place for an interview the next day. The room is also spacious and had free internet wi-fi.

The cons are that the windows opened to the main street sidewalk so that anyone could have just climbed into my room. Because of the A/C not turned on, opening the windows allowed mosquitoes to enter the room (there were no screens on the windows). Also, the bedding, although colorful, felt like they were someone's old sheets and not necessarily changed.

The motel is fine if you are on a budget, however, do not expect anything more than basic. You must always push a buzzer to get someone to the front desk. As I was walking past the nearby Best Western and the typical motel operation, I would have probably booked my room there if I had known what the motel was truly like.

• Liked — large room with dining area and kitchen
  • Disliked — no screens on windows that opened to the main street sidewalk
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
monterey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

just excellent

• Liked — Service was excellent, just like the rooms
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Silicon Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Stanford Inn may not look like much from the outside, but it is gorgeous inside. Originally built as efficiency apartments in 1938, it was neglected for decades before the new owners renovated it this past year, keeping the period details and making it a beautiful, quirky place to stay.

Many of the rooms have the original 1938 tile in their bathrooms, as well as the original wooden floors. The rooms are built on a central courtyard (with parking and lemon trees), and there are tables and chairs and benches already set out for people to gather and talk.

One unusual thing about the Stanford Inn is that many of the units have small kitchens. These are the original kitchens from 1938, and they work, making it feel much more like a home than a hotel room.

We found the Stanford Inn when we were deciding where to block rooms for our wedding. We looked at every hotel within walking distance of the train station, and loved this place (and the Stanford Park across the street) -- none of the other hotels were even close to as nice.

We rented almost every room here, so our families could stay in one place. It was fantastic. Several people took me aside to tell me how much they enjoyed staying there, and how well the management was taking care of them -- which was a relief, when we were rushing around preparing for the wedding!

The Stanford Inn is on the same street as the Allied Arts Guild, and it's a beautiful walk there through the old neighborhood directly behind the hotel. Our families had a lot of fun wandering from downtown Menlo Park to the hotel after dinner, looking at the neat houses and talking.

This isn't to say that they're perfect. The original manager was nice but couldn't keep our reservations straight, and booked some strangers into rooms we'd blocked. But they changed management maybe a month before our wedding, and the new manager is _great_. He spent over an hour with us, straightening out the reservations to make sure our families were taken care of. (They're also getting a computer system in the next few weeks, to make sure that problem never happens again.) He was always available when people needed soap, or extra towels, and was friendly and charming the entire time.

This isn't the hotel for everyone -- it's more homey than fancy, and it is directly on El Camino. If you sleep lightly, you may want to bring earplugs. If you want polished, fancy service with a doorman and restaurant, do yourself a favor and stay at the Stanford Park Hotel across the street. But if you want to stay in a gorgeous 1938 period room with friendly, helpful management, I highly recommend the Stanford Inn.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel also goes by "The Stanford Inn", but there is another "Stanford Inn" nearby. This post applies to the former Stanford Arms, now marketing itself as "The Stanford Inn".

I stayed there for three nights. They were under construction, but renting rooms.

Despite paying more than I would have at the neighboring Best Western, I was treated to bed bugs, which I brought back home.

It took us over six months to get rid of them. When I talked to the manager, he was sympathetic, but could not do anything, and referred me to the owners. They were unresponsive.

The windows didn't close or lock, neither the phone nor TV worked, and there was three-dimensional mold on the baseboards. Though the manager tried his best to help out with all these problems, got the mold cleaned up, and worked on the other stuff with genuine effort, I never felt "right" in the room.

The reason? Bedbugs. Though I didn't figure it out until six weeks later, when they had set up shop in my home and covering us with bites every night. When we figured out it was bedbugs, I dug the luggage out and sure enough, there were bedbugs in the seams of my luggage. I had not traveled anywhere else with that luggage for months before or since, and that was the only possible source.

I now feel completely stupid for staying there when I knew the place was not maintained properly. Never again. Now I travel with a flashlight and magnifying glass, and I inspect every hotel room before I stay there. I enclose my belongings in an extra-large ziplock bag, and I do not place any of my personal belongings on the bed.

I wash my clothing in hot and dry on hot for an hour after returning from trips, and immediately unpack and inspect everything. This sounds like a lot to do, but I would do twice as much to avoid ever having bedbugs again.

• Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
stanfordinn, manager at Stanford Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Please note that the hotel has new owners now and that all the beds, beddings, draperies, furniture, TV, practically almost everything in the room in new. When we bought the property the rooms were not in a good condition but now after the renovation and the new management no one should get a chance to complain.

Travelers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!