“Basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Inn

You added Stanford Inn to your Saves list
Stanford Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   115 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (Formerly Stanford Arms Motel)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Boston, Massachusetts
“Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The sheets are clean, they make your bed, and give you fresh towels every day. They "cleaned" the room, but I remember looking at the same big dust bunny under the nightstand table for a few days before it was finally removed. The room I stayed in is a mix between Bruce Willis' hotel room in Pulp Fiction and the hotel room with the train in My Cousin Vinny. The fridge had mold in it and smelled really badly and I didn't even bother using the microwave. Other than that, it's a very basic room for you to just sleep and shower. Also, it is very conveniently located within walking distance to the Stanford Inn Mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Chicago IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My kitchenette room had a dated feel but was comfortable and roomy, with two nice arm chairs and a smallish flat screen TV. Free parking, some street noise, lousy wi-fi, no deadbolt or chain on the outside door. Half hour walk from Stanford University. A good bar/restaurant, The Oasis, a block away, and a gas station/convenience store another block. Some retail outlets in the area.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room on the second floor and away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paso Robles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I am usually perfectly content with Motel 6 but there is none close to this location so I thought "how bad can it be for one night?". The answer is: very very bad, possibly the worst place I have ever stayed. I arrived at 9PM and the management was nowhere to be found. They had left the key for me in an envelope.They gave me a suite-a small 2 bedroom apartment really-the last room they had. The furniture was dingy and the chairs were so stained that it was creepy to sit on them even in my jeans. It was a freezing cold night and the rooms were unheated but the heater didn't work. Luckily I always carry a fleece jacket in the car. The sheets and pillowcases were dirty. There was no blanket on the bed (just a bedspread). The light that would have made it possible to read in bed was blown out. The deadbolt strike had been broken out (by a previous kick?) so the only door lock was a flimsy chain attached to the wooden door and jamb with lightweight screws. I crammed a chair under the doorknob (I've never actually done that before.) There were 2 outlets tantalizingly near the bed but one was broken and the other was not near enough to plug in a heating pad or a light or a clock or anything like that. The kitchen was so filthy it's hard to imagine that anyone had cleaned it in months and the fridge had old food in it from a previous occupant (!). The bathroom was grubby and there was trash in the wastebasket possibly from the same previous occupant. I slept in my fleece jacket and put on my jeans and bolted the next morning. Anyway it was way too cold for a shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

A flea bag is not a value just because it is 50% cheaper than the other motels. I would even call it scary! The paint was coming off! The grounds were all parking asphalt! I could not bring myself to stay there!

• Stayed September 2012
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked on Expedia so did not know what a terrible place this was on a busy street. I had prepaid but elected to lose my 1st night payment since this place was awful. The amenities were circa 1950, door lock could be easily picked with a credit card. Proprietor was unhelpful.

I would give this a minus rating if there was one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I am here for 10 days with my son, who has a program on the Stanford University campus, so I wanted to find something that was in close proximity. Since I am on a budget this hotel seems to fit right into my budget. I got here and boy was this a big disappointment. I would imagine if it's this close to Stanford then it must be somewhat decent, so I didn't check the rating before booking. BIG MISTAKE!!!!. This so call hotel is a piece of crop and should not be allowed to used the name Stanford, yet alone be open to conduct business. It is not suited for humans.

When I pull up to the building I was a little shock, but I kept an open mind saying the inside will be better. WRONG AGAIN!. I pick up my keys from a window with at least 12 pairs of shoes under a bench, and I am thinking to myself what in the world is this place. Well it didn't stop there. When I ask where is the elevators, I was told we don't have any. So my son and I had to carry our bags upstairs. When I open the door instantly I turn to my son and said I am not staying in this dump even if they offer me a million dollar.

We both stood in the middle of the floor and I got on the phone and call and have my reservation cancel. The pillow cases that were supposed to be white, look dark and dirty and the whole room smell foul. The place just look like they have "BED BUGS". Also I didn't like the elements hanging around either. Especially with the type of door/lock coming apart, men walking around with no shirt on and they the are not at a pool or anything, just walking around the yard. They just look scary. I had to call my play brother who live about 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic. He came and pick us up. I try finding another hotel but was unable because of all the activities going on. He was a GOD sent.

So if for some reason you ever come across this hotel, I recommend that you RUN in the opposite direction. It is really a HORRIBLE HOTEL. First off, the web page on this hotel is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. This site should be shut down and the so call hotel as well. It is not worth rating at all......

Marylander

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Carmelita J
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

If you are on a budget and need a place to stay for a $100.00 + taxes a night, I recommend you stay at your nearest park in a sleeping bag and a tent before coming to this HORRIBLE HOTEL. First off, the web page on this hotel is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. For a $100.00 a night plus taxes one should get some basic necessities. However, this HOTEL GIVES YOU BELOW LIVING STANDARDS. The running water in the bathroom is very noisy...the kitchen smells like gas...and there is a water heater adjacent to the stove in the kitchen. How is this even legal? Furthermore, the AC does not work and they do not clean your rooms on a daily basis unless you ask for it. In closing, there are termites everywhere....Even if you are desperate for a room, don't waste your time on this Motel-Hotel. The service is HORRIBLE!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time on this hotel....Any hotel on the face of this planet is better than this...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#18 of 26 in Palo Alto
3.5 of 5 stars 579 reviews

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!