“pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Palo Alto, California
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We got a good deal $100/night thru hotels.com. I was nervous after reading some reviews and then once I got there, I thought it was charming, clean, antiques (really neat old rocking horse, camera, furniture).Very pretty property, decent view of ocean, dog friendly as I saw two people check in with dogs.

The room:
Our room did have ocean view, but no balcony, which would have been nice because we opened the window for fresh air and there was no screen, and window is lower than code, so slight safety hazard since we had a toddler and what if you have too much to drink? oops. And if you thought the people upstairs sounded like elephants, well that was probably my toddler jumping around, my bad. But then hey, some drunks came in next door at about 2 am, so it is what it is. yes, I suppose the walls are thin so we didn't sleep well, or that could have been because my toddler had her feet in my back all night because I didn't want to pay an extra $20 for a spare bed.

Continental Breakfast: was awesome. I think some people are snobs. Hello, so what if you have to make your own waffles? There were bagels and cream cheese, coffee, tea,cocoa, juice, oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit. If you went into a place in DT Mendo you'd prob pay $40 easy just for this. Good way to get your day started and save money.

Water pressure sucked, bed old, sliding door to bathroom was so heavy or maybe stuck I could barely open and close it.

An elderly couple that checked in before us was upset because they assumed there was an elevator, their room was on second floor, as is the continental breakfast, and her husband was disabled. The girl at reception told them it's been broken for a year, but the owner told staff not to change the website. I did see his overweight butt up there at breakfast the next morning though, so he figured it out, but I would say that if you are in a wheelchair, book elsewhere.

Service: Well the young girl at the desk was very sweet in a condescending way, prob from lack of real work experience, and having to deal with some real snobs often. Other than that, I really didn't see any staff other than the continental breakfast gal who was very gracious.

Room Tip: Just request an ocean view with balcony. I thought we'd get a balcony, but we had ocean view, an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Corte Madera, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed room 224 with ocean view no balcony. Looking at pictures on the website we were expecting more style/ charms... room clean but very 1960 , tube TV with a very small screen. Ok for one night but . Can't say I would go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The inn is really nicely located..you can see the ocean from their huge backyard..rounds ate clean and big size..enjoyed the breakfast and the dining room offers great voters add well..it's a beautiful place..serene and kinda secluded..

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Hill House Inn on the last night of our driving trip up Highway 1 in late December. On previous nights we stayed in Pismo Beach (2 nights), Carmel (2 nights) and Bodega Bay (1 night). The best value we encountered was the Hill House Inn. Attentive staff, large room, good bed, quiet atmosphere, decent continental breakfast, dog-friendly. What more can I say? How about my impression that they are good people, working hard to please, in a challenging economy, on a rugged, beautiful coastline. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a suggestion from the front desk. They know the property and will try to find a good match w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Spectacular ocean view! There was no view from our room. Noisey Heater. Breakfast upstairs broken elevator. Stairs beautiful but for a handicap person !
New Years dinner, told meal off the menu was not, other not told at another location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Velez-Malaga, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Travelling from Europe we looked forward to visiting this Inn. Arrival increased our excitement, lovely reception and staff, great ambience in lounge with welcoming fire after arriving in the fog! Into a room with exactly as expected lovely old feel (grandma?) fabulous bed, warming fire place and a balcony with an Ocean view - perfect (well not quite TV old and bold but we weren't here to watch television) and a great night's sleep to awaken with THAT view, magic then disaster we went for Sunday Breakfast to a nicely laid out breakfast bar and dining room to really enjoy the view but where was the food? Very stale bagels so tightly wrapped in shrink wrap it was almost impossible to open them, an indifferent self make waffle and luke warm dishwater from Friday or Saturday (I think it may have meant to be coffee!) with a few preserves.
No eggs, no meat, an apple and an orange and a request for bread to make toast was met with a very blank indifferent response from the one member of staff who eventually turned up on the room showing no interest in the few people trying to chew their way through those bagels. Positively the worst breakfast I have ever had in the USA. Be much better to either not offer anything or at least offer guests a proper paid for breakfast befitting what the Hotel really has to offer, a great traditional place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a weekend getaway we found on Living Social. The location is great and easily walkable to town which was a big deal for us. The surrounding grounds were beautiful and we enjoyed the fall foliage.

The Inn itself had a neat rustic beach feel to it which I liked a lot... The room was big, antique furniture, a hidden LCD TV (which we didn't turn on) and had a king size bed. If you like stiff, hard as a rock beds this place is for you. I had a terrible time sleeping and both my partner and I tossed and turned much of the night. They definitely need to update their linens and bedding while their at it. There was something in the room I was allergic to (dust, mold or both)... within hours I had a cough, watery eyes and congestion. At first I thought it was a cold coming on till we left the room and the symptoms cleared.

The service was great, the staff was awesome and gay friendly. Overall if was a decent stay but because of the beds and allergy issues we probably won't come back to this specific inn.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas K, General Manager at Hill House Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
As always it is great to hear that our staff is welcoming and friendly as we expect and also good to know if we have areas where we fall short. Beds in a hotel are one of the most important pieces of furniture and we thank this guest for letting us know that maybe it is time for a new one in this room. The foggy coast where we live can make for mustiness if rooms are not used frequently we have instituted a heater rotation to hopefully prevent this in the future.

Been to Hill House Inn? Share your experiences!