“Halloween night - travelers tip” 3 of 5 stars

Hill House Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   10701 Palette Dr, Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #19 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Puget Sound
“Halloween night - travelers tip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

On a tour so we did not select this place. All looked fine on arrival. The inn has a Halloween party that started from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. A private event we were told. Sounded like fun. Except it is now 4 in the morning and the drunken brawl has just subsided outside our room. Seriously there were fights with people being slammed against our door. All this was preceded by loud partying in the hallways and the patios beneath our room, lots of people running up and down stairs and hallways and so many doors being slammed constantly. Called the front desk at 4 in the morning and of course no answer as they(one?) was likely trying to do damage control.
The take away from all this is know what you are getting into on a halloween night. This event got away from the staff. Our travel leader sure did not know or even think about this situation when she booked this place. Truly a night from hell. And after looking at reviews on Trip Advisor, there are better places to stay. We rate this as a do not stay because we did not get what we paid for - a peaceful night of rest. Curious to hear what front desk will say when we check out. We will let you know.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
El Sobrante
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants, beach and wine tasting. Very helpful, friendly service. Wonderful photo ops.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here on a Living Social deal. At first glance in the main building at checking presented a pleasant atmosphere. That was about it. Our room was basic, share a balcony with another room, needed some upgrading to the bathroom area. There was no restaurant other than for the continental breakfast, the breakfast was basic, self made waffles, ran out of mixed fruit salad one morning, the table weren't bussed. We had to clean our own table each morning. The same woman that check us in did come in about 9am to clean some tables.

Since the hotel did not have a restaurant we were limited to few expensive places in town. There did offered a 30% discount for dinner at the Mendocino Hotel which was expensive. Only one other place was a sports bar that had a long wait, but worth it. I'm glad we didn't pay full price.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We just returned from a weekend in Mendocino. We also purchased the Groupon deal which made this weekend seem like a steal! The location is perfect for walking into town for dinner and for exploring the adorable town. The inn was also very close to many hikes and state parks. We opted to take a lower level room so that we could bring our dog and it was so great to be able to to travel with him. The room may be a bit dated as others have said but I knew what to expect and the great service and location more than made up for it! Enjoy!

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I read so much great reviews and hope that our stay would end up with us raving about the place (so I got a weekend through Groupon) but it was a disappointment. We got there late on a Friday night (We had called ahead and informed them that we would be arriving late we got there around 10:00 pm) the check in was smooth till the front desk person ask me for the print out from Groupon I inform her that I was not aware I needed to print and bring one with me I told her that I call pull it up from my smart phone and she can scan from it, she was not pleased with that and insist that I should email it to her I ask her if I can print one out from their printer she refused to do so and kept insisting I email it to them or walk to the town the next day and pay and use the cafe printer and she told me that they ALWAYS inform all customer to bring a print out I told her the guy I spoke to said no such thing and I even showed her the confirmation that they emailed me said no such thing, the lady in the counter didn't apology and just change the subject. So I figure it's late I will ask again the next day, so when I got to the room it was surprisingly big but the bathroom had a slight odor coming from the toilet, smelling like the septic tank so the whole time we had to close the bathroom door and left some window open, (needless to say going to the bathroom was unpleasant with that smell). So the next morning I attempted to ask the same question regarding the Groupon print out and I was presented with the same kind of responds. But overall Mendocino was great but the hotel could be much better.

Room Tip: For those that are allergic to animals the second floor is pet free from what I was told
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Hill House Inn. It was like staying at your old Aunt Millie's who is losing her eyesight. The room is big, the furniture is antique in style but there was a little issue with cleanliness. The sink and tub fixtures are gray with mildew under the really old handles. (Take a screwdriver, pull them off and soak them in some cleaner!) There were some bodily fluids on the curtain under the sink (snot from a dog?). There was dog poop filled bags on the porch (from the last guest?) and a blood smear on the white trim near the glass sliding door. We asked the cleaning person to wash the curtain and dispose of the dog poop which she did immediately.
The walls are paper thin. At one point all three of us were looking at each other because we wanted to know who was snoring. It was the person next door, but it felt like it was in the room! We could also hear people brushing their teeth. But it wasn't terrible or at weird times that would interrupt any sleep.
The pillows are filled with the feathers of a concrete bird. They are hard and they are too tall, so bring your own from home.
The breakfast is just waffles, bagels, some tiny apples/oranges, juice and tea and coffee. You will need to eat brunch at one of the fine restaurants in town.
The staff was nice. We did not get an ocean view, but we were at the ocean all day. The sink was a roadmap of cracks and even the tile floor in the bathroom was cracked, but Aunt Millie is getting on in years and can't do home repair like she used to. Is it worth 100$ a night? Not really. More like 79$ including the fact that it is conveniently located.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a deluxe with ocean view, fireplace and balcony. BUT keep in mind, ALL ocean views are from a distance. Nice, but not all that close to the ocean. A quick walk gets you into town. My room was very large. Antique filled. VERY comfortable king bed. The desk staff was beyond friendly and very happy to help. The GROUPON deal made it very affordable. TWO nights for $165!!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing ocean (in the distance) are just a bit better than the ones facing front parking lot, b...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hill House Inn? Share your experiences!