“Sad to say I no longer stay here........” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blair House Inn

Blair House Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Blair House Inn
You added Blair House Inn to your Saves list
45110 Little Lake Street, Mendocino, CA 95456   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
petaluma
“Sad to say I no longer stay here........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

It has become increasely evident that the owner refuses to invest any money in the house. It is very different from its original condition. The innkeeper is pleasant and served a nice breakfast but the place is in need of a lot of work. I have found other pet friendly places that are well maintained.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

Blair House is not your usual friendly, warm, inviting B&B that we had become used to. My husband and I had been traveling the Pacific Coast for a month staying in B&B's every night. Unfortunately, Blair House was our least favorite. When you arrive, the white picket fence is no longer white due to mildue. The garden and lawn is overgrown and unkept. A key was left for us at the door, as the manager works two jobs and is not able to be there and meet the guests. There is no common living room in which to relax and unwind. The original living room was made into a bedroom. Our room was fine, but wallpaper in need of repair. If you are like us, and enjoy the friendliness and personal service of B&B's, I recommend looking at the numerous other B&B's in the lovely town of Mendocino.

• Liked — proximity to town
  • Disliked — lack of personal service, no common area, run down
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

You'd think given my title that I like B&Bs - well, actually, not at all. I hate B&Bs. I hate the enforced camaraderie, the smallness, the feeling of being in someone's house. I prefer to be anonymous. In spite of all that, when my husband and I arrived in Mendocino (with no preplanned reservations) we stumbled on the Blair House Inn and, even though I had palpitations at the door after we knocked and I wanted to run away, I found the Blair House Inn to be inviting and comfortable. The Inn is located a bit off the main drag of Mendocino but it is all within walking distance and I fell in love with this little arts community that sits at the edge of the Pacific Ocean. Our room was very large, a double suite that is called either "Jessica's Room" or "Angela's Room" - I can't remember which - because this house was the exterior establishing shot for the television series "Murder, She Wrote". So, you may have thought you were in Cabot Cove, Maine but you really were in Mendocino, CA. Probably the best part of the room was the bed, it was incredibly comfortable with down comforter, feather bed, fluffy down pillows and plenty of blankets. The bathroom had a claw-foot tub and shower, the sink was a bit weird and we had to ask how to dump out the water (you lift via the handle on the edge of the bowl). Toilet was quaint with cistern above your head and wood chain pull. Breakfast was nice with cereals, coffee, toast and locally made preserves. I think there was only one other couple in the B&B when we stayed there and because of that we were given a rate of fifty percent of the regular price. Excellent value. We had dinner in the bar of another local hotel - the Medocino Hotel & Garden Suites - and were lucky enough to have a window seat where we could watch the sun set over the Pacific and drink a couple of glasses of their excellent Pinot Noir. Definitely a highlight. I would avidly recommend this little town just north of San Francisco - it absolutely shows off the majesty of the Pacific Ocean and also displays an interesting quirkiness and imagination with its art galleries, beach front and local boutiques. Would love to visit again.

• Stayed September 2005
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

Just spent an enjoyable couple of nights at the Blair House Inn in Mendocino in Jennifer's room. I suspect the author of the prior review hasn't stayed at too many B&Bs. Yes, Blair House could use some additional upkeep. In the meantime, it's a nice older home that is reasonably priced for what you are getting. I found the breakfast of local jams, fruit, local granola, cereal, etc. to be fine. It's a 2-3 minute walk to Main St so you are not far from town. We put our 6 month old daughter in her stroller and took her for a tour without difficulty.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2004

We stayed for two nights, our bed linens were never changed, breakfast was a choice of a little box of cereal, or fruit, or granola, bagel or toast with butter or peanut butter.

The wallpaper was peeling off the walls and mended with scotch tape. The owner really needs to invest some money in the interior. The only common area was the dining area, no parlour with comfy chairs or fireplace to be found.

It was a long walk to town for shopping/dining.

We were disappointed for the money we spent.

Been to Blair House Inn? Share your experiences!