“Mendocino Via Petaluma/Bodega Bay from SFO” 4 of 5 stars

Nicholson House Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   951 Ukiah St., Mendocino, CA 94560   |
Ranked #22 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Mendocino Via Petaluma/Bodega Bay from SFO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

After the long pretty drive up from SFO on a beautiful day, Brent(?) was very helpful with location info on groceries, restaurants, and all that is Mendocino. The room was comfortable and affordable. Two days in the area followed by the drive down to St. Helena via 128/29 was a very nice escape. I wish I could articulate on the breakfasts but I was out about (Ft. Bragg and state parks) before and during meal time. I did my homework on prices and found The Nicholson House to be one of the less expensive B&B's in the area. I did have a partial ocean view from my room...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rohnert Park, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I take a trip with my boyfriend every year to Mendocino. We have stayed at four different places and Nicholson House Inn was by far the best place. We had one the suites where you get a kitchen and living space which was located on the first floor. The Inn was centrally located to everything and the breakfast spread is by the far best I have seen in my life time. Plus the suite was pretty affordable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

The owner of Nicholson is such a nice man, but I think it's worth mentioning that the breakfast is continental-style and it starts later in the morning. It was a big spread and the scones were very, very good but I'm used to warm breakfasts at B&Bs (in fact to me a warm breakfast is the biggest selling point), so I was disappointed on that front. In addition, our room shared a door with another room and there was no soundproofing. We had light of it, but man it could make for an awkward situation if you're there with family!

• Stayed December 2011
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed for a weekend at the Nicholson House. We booked Grandma's room. The room is cute, clean, and small with a private bathroom. However the bed is very tall and we had to use the stepper to get in and out of it.
Breakfast is good, and it is served by the owner between 8:30AM and 9:30AM in the living room which is a small area. The location is in town, and we walked everywhere. The price was very reasonable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We recently had a very nice experience at the Nicholson House B&B in Mendocino. Brent, our host, was a helpful as can be regarding restaurant and activity recommendations. He also did a good job on the breakfast, which is held in the first floor common area of the main building. This is not an upscale, "fancy," retreat, but very comfortable and ample and at a good price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed one night the room was fairly small but comfortable and clean not having a tv is unsual nowadys but we really didnt miss it.
The breakfast area was very small but the food on offer was very good and the service was good and friendly. All in all a great stay at very reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were only here one night, arriving around 7pm and leaving at 7am the next day, and we didn't really get to see much that the town had to offer, but we couldn't have afforded many other lodging options there (I think there are tons!). So that being said, we were perfectly happy with our stay at Nicholson. I didn't feel that the guy who checked us in was all that warm, but he was probably about to give up on us showing up so it's fine. We had the Russian Rose Room. It is quite "cozy" and if we'd stayed more than 1 night, might have been a little frustrated for space, but we don't spend much time in our room regardless. The bathroom was nice and large. The bed was comfortable enough, not super comfortable. We found out the next morning that you could see the ocean a bit behind the B&B, pretty awesome, and I believe it was just up and around the corner to drive or walk to an unobstructed view. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We really wanted the Overlook I room and just missed out on it. Would try for that one next time. I...