“Great food, uneven service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Restaurants in Mendocino
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Oakland, California
“Great food, uneven service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We went to the Mendocino Cafe on a night they were struggling heavily with service. The place was woefully understaffed and the scene was complete chaos. Luckily, we'd managed to score a glass of wine before we were dumped at our table and forgotten for a long, long while. I felt bad for them, and it can't be easy to deal with the ebbs and flows of being in a tourist town. However, some simple words can go a long way: "We know this is crazy, we'll be with you as soon as we can..."

At any rate, the food, when we finally did eat, was fantastic. We had the steamed mussels, (fabulous) the calamari (okay but wouldn't order again) the warm spinach salad (I adored), and the strip steak (wonderful). Also a very heavenly slice of key lime pie.

I would go back, with the knowledge they have some kinks to work out!

One last note: do NOT let them seat you at one of the few tables in that front room or you will be surrounded by people standing around waiting for their tables throughout your meal. They need to reconfigure this space!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

California
“What a surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Mendocino with friends, staying at MacCallum House. The first night we ate at the hotel, it was good. The second night we wandered down the road to this place and I was so pleasantly surprised. My husband and I both had the blackened rockfish and it, and the vegetables, were absolutely delicious. Not too much food...just enough and all very well done. I started with the mussels and they were in a wonderful not too spicy sauce.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
central valley california
“Lunch in Mendocino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent home made soups. Both cauliflower and clam chowder were delicious. They have local wines by the glass. Missed the bread pudding this time due to weight watching but have had it before and loved it!

Visited January 2013
california
“Best restaurant in Mendocino Area for traveling with Kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Traveling with children and feeding them is sometimes difficult.
The Mendocino Cafe provides a wide range of dishes KIDS WILL LOVE.
From burritos, pasta, quesadillas, and as an added bonus organic.
They are also offering gluten-free and vegan dishes as well.
I travel the world and I live in the area and it is my favorite restaurant in the world.
Their garlic mashed potatoes are out of this world But there international dishes are my favorite .
Their dumplings and there hot pot is to live for. And the owner is a wine expert.
Enjoy.... Sit out on the deck if you can... January and February are great months here because it is quieter and it has been so sunny lately. Bon Apetite

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Altos, California
“Slow not very friendly service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Years ago when I visited Mendocino, I really enjoyed the Mendocino Cafe with its bustling atmosphere, great food and service. So...when I returned yesterday, I wanted to have lunch here. The restaurant was not busy. The restaurant decor was pleasant and cozy with eclectic pieces of art. The fresh flowers on the tables made it pleasant and inviting. The handful of all-male wait staff working acted as if it's such a bother to have people come in to the restaurant. The menu offered diverse choices from Mexican-infused dishes to Asian-style dishes to salads to hamburgers. I ordered the special pork loin dish and my companion ordered the huevos rancheros. The pork loin dish should've been described as pulled pork. Also, it would've been nice if it's warmer. The huevos rancheros dish was mediocre and lukewarm. The woman at the next table sent her soup back to the kitchen to have it warmed up. When her companion tried to order hot tea, the server just said, "No, we don't have hot tea." Really? No hot tea in Mendocino in the middle of winter? Anyway, it was a disappointing experience to take someone there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere