“Nice Little Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Nice Little Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Recently we had a lovely dinner at 955 Ukiah. The food was delicious and we were able to bring our own bottle of wine. The service was great. A little pricey, but very relaxing. Thanks.

Visited April 2014

CA
“Surprised.......not in a good way.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My wife and I frequent the Mendocino Coast and have been doing so for at least 20 years. Over the past several years, we have ended up staying just a little down the coast in Little River or Albion and end up dining there. This past weekend, we were staying in Albion and decided to take the 8 or 9 mile drive to Mendocino for Friday night dinner. Although the food in Albion is great, we end up going to the same place every night and we had fond memories of our last meal at 955 Ukiah, so thought we would take the drive for a nice meal. My wife called at approximately 6:00 PM and asked if they have a table for us in approximately 15 minutes from then. The person gladly accepted the reservations and when we arrived, we were seated promptly at a nice window table viewing the outside. Switching back to the last time we dined at 955 Ukiah (approximately 6 years ago), we were seated upstairs, and the restaurant was vibrant and the food as well as the service was outstanding. At least this time, the service met that description.
Although the setting was nice, looking outside at the garden, the restaurant was very dated with wainscoting, knotty pine and what seemed like hundreds of small, framed, pictures, possibly for sale. They seemed either black and white void of any real color. There was also music playing, maybe a little jazz, but for some reason, the entire evening felt as if we were dining in a uncomfortable, older library. The dining room down stairs started to fill up, but the mood was very subdued and kind of eerie. I am not sure if it had to do with the little notes (3 of them) in the bathrooms reminding us to wash our hands, or the note outside along the entrance asking us customers to “not pick the flowers.” It is difficult to pinpoint, but the vibe was just a little strange and uncomfortable. Besides our female server, who was great, the rest of the people working there, including who I would presume was the owner, seemed uninterested in all of the diners there except the table directly in front of us. She spent, conservatively 10 or so minutes at that table. As for the food, we started with the calamari appetizer which, although was OK, it lacked flavor and did not match the description at all. I had be craving the Caesar salad and ordered one($12.). The cuts were from the ends of the leaves and were among the largest pieces I have ever seen. As for the dressing, it just tasted old. I tasted no anchovies or garlic at all. I can easily say it was the worst Caesar salad I have tasted in recent or long term memory. For the entrée, I had the flat iron steak. It arrived, just over room temperature, was drenched in kind of a soy sauce marinade and absolutely tasted like the “buy before date” had passed at least a week or two prior. I tried to like it better with each bite, but it was obviously spoiled. It was accompanied with a garnish of greens (exactly the same as my wives fish) and something resembling a twice baked potato. Trying to cut into the potato was not an easy task and since the crust was extremely hard and dry. When I did, the entire potato was of the same consistency. My only guess is that it was, maybe frozen and re-hearted, over and over again. My wife had a phyllo crusted fish and described her meal as “fishy” and very difficult to cut into. She surmised that her fish suffered from the same preparation as my potato. We asked about desert and the selections were that of what you would receive with a banquet meal. I guess that makes sense since the entire meal tasted exactly like below average meal, maybe frozen and reheated multiple times. The prices are a little high, not outrageous, but I left feeling that at any price, I would have been very disappointed with the meal. I give this 1 star, entirely for the server (who was perfect), but for the ambiance and the quality of food, it easily deserves a big “0.” It was not worth sending back or even discussing, since it is obvious that the owner or chef is very aware that they serve, tasteless, old, and poor quality food; therefore with no plans of going back, it was not worth a discussion. I guess maybe they make a living off getting overflow from their famous neighbor. With that, I cannot remember a meal that I have liked less.

Visited April 2014
Oakland, California
“Excellent food, cute & quiet little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I recently went back a second time to this quaint little restaurant. While a little pricey for my usual, their food is excellent and they actually serve decent portions. There is a mix of locals and outta-towners, and the restaurant overlooks a pretty little garden. I really like this place.

Visited February 2014
SF
“Quality food? NOT HERE. Overpriced? HERE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Our meals were MARGINAL
who is responsible for the QUALITY of food coming out of the kitchen? The chef or the establishments owners? Quality control is seriously lacking. Someone is cutting corners and the quality of the food is suffering along with the restaurants patrons. Don't make me say "I told you so". Make you're dining reservations ...ANY PLACE BUT HERE!

Visited January 2014
Castro Valley, California
“Excellent food & service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The menu had good variety. We loved the atmosphere with the art on the walls. Loved dessert! The service is very good as well. I would definitely go back!

Visited January 2014