“decent food - poor service in Mendocino, CA” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 22 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: ZAGAT describes the restaurant best when they write “Victorian delights abound at this charming, period Mendocino Hotel restaurant kitted out with a dark-wood interior and a Californian menu that’s right on the mark; order small plates – or if nothing else, a cocktail and hang out in the bar under a stained-glass dome and drink in the lovely, Old West ambiance” “Well worth the price!”Selected "Best Hotel Wine Country,2009" San Francsico Chronicle.North Coast cuisine. Fine dining and casual Bistro.
california
“decent food - poor service in Mendocino, CA”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

My wife and I had a late lunch in the bistro section. The garden like setting is very attractive, and the food was fair, but not exceptional value for the money. The only negative, which spoiled the occasion, was the service. We both ordered soup and a hot entree. The waiter brought them together, so that we had to fast forward through the soup in order that the entree not get cold. We later told the waiter that we should have had time to finish the soup, but he lamely replied that they were busy. I fail to see the connection.

CA foothills
“5 Star Dining in a quaint setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

We enjoy fine dining experiences wherever we travel. Tonight's dinner at the Victorian Dining Room at Mendocino Hotel exceeded our expectations in every way: setting, wonderful attentive and INTELLIGENT service by our server, Ashley, creative yet subtle and nuanced flavors in all courses. The duck rillettes salad was a wonderful combination of textures and rich flavors; my husband had the all-time best clam chowder ever; my mother's cumin-crusted salmon was assertive yet not overpowering; my rack of lamb had Italian flavors that did not take away from the perfectly-cooked lamb. The big surprise was the Ollalieberry cobbler, where the chef had used puff pastry for his "biscuit" - great idea to keep the dessert from being too heavy. Well worth the winding, narrow roads to get here!
Linelle Marshall
Groveland, CA

orinda, CA
“An excellent Server!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I was very impressed with the Victorian Dining Room especially since I have never heard of it prior to this last trip to Mendocino. The evening scenery from the restaurant was beautiful and even though I did not expect the food to be that spectacular, it was. Theresa was our server and I was impressed by her friendliness, knowledge of the menu and the attention she paid to us while my wife and I were dining. All in all I am impressed by The Victorian Dining Room and would recommend it highly to my friends.

Dallas
“Excellent Lunch in a Garden setting, pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stopped in Mendocino to visit the quaint coastal city and check out the arts and other shops. We stopped at the Mendocino Hotel’s Garden Room restaurant for lunch. The setting of the hotel restaurant is quite beatiful and looks like an outdoor café with wrought iron chairs, padded seats and Ficus trees growing up through the floor. The tables were also wrouth iron with marble tops. There seemed to be only one waitress initially but later an additional one arrived. Service was a little slow but the food made up for it. My husband ordered the crab cakes which was served with a small salad and a lemon crème sauce. He said the lemon flavor was VERY mild, but he said the crab cakes were meaty and flavorful, even though the cakes were very small (about 2” in diameter), it was very good and he gave it an 8 out of 10 overall. I ordered the pasta special which was a fetticuine pasta wih prosciutto, asparagus and mushrooms in a white wine buter sauce sprinkled with parmesan cheese. The sauce was very light and really wasn’t visible but it imparted a very nice flavor to the dish. The prouscitto was plentiful and the asparagus was fresh. I rated this dish an 9 out of 10. I would definitely recommend it if it is the special when you visit. We were served fresh baked bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The balsamic was so good and smooth-flavored. The only negative to our visit was that when we requested the check, the waitress took our credit card and just sat it on a table. Instead of ringing us out, she began rearranging tables and putting napkins and silverware down. I felt that since she took the credit card she should have rang us up and then completed those tasks later. The dishes were over-priced for the quantity served and portions – lunch sized portion but dinner prices. Crab cakes were $14.75 and the pasta dish was $14. I would definitely recommend for the setting and the food.

Discovery Bay, CA
“Wonderful evening of great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Spent an evening in Mendocino on the urging of a friend. Decided to try out the Victorian Dining Room restaurant and was pleasantly surprised at the warm atmosphere. My spouse and I enjoyed the Delmonico. Cooked exactly as we requested. Our server Theresa did an excellent job taking care of us. We really enjoyed our night out. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.