“Relaxing Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fortuna, California
“Relaxing Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Be prepared to be pampered when you stay at the Brewery Gulch Inn. It may look small but don't let the size fool you. My husband and I stayed in the Pelican Room and it was very spacious with an amazing view of the ocean right off the balcony. It had a wonderful fireplace with chairs to cozy up to it. When we told them we would be a late arrival, they said they would leave us dinner in our room. Not only was our dinner there waiting but a small bottle of wine as well! Nice touch for sure. We did not have to ask housekeeping for anything. They had extra towels in the bathroom under the sink, cotton balls, q-tips, blow dryer and a close up mirror for those of you who like them. In the closet there were extra pillows, extra blankets, 2 robes and a dresser so you don't have to live out of your suitcase. I'm allergic to down and they changed out everything that was down filled right away. The made to order breakfast was fabulous. We had the classic breakfast and the bacon alone make it worthwhile. It is baked in a brown sugar sauce with pepper flakes and is just divine! There are snacks left out for those foodie grazers and the dinner buffet is light and healthy and oh so yummy. The breakfast, dinner and drinks are included with the price of the room which I thought was awesome. There is a dining area that mingles with a sitting area next to a huge two way view fireplace. The big deck just outside the dining area is lovely with lots of seating so everyone can get to know each other over drinks and a great view. Other reviewers say the Brewery Gulch Inn is more like a B&B but I say it's more like a high end rustic retreat and worth every penney. We were so relaxed it was hard to go home :-)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

For the hype and price... It's not ritz/4 seasons level. It's a b&b on steroids. Probably great as a groupon or jet setter deal, just not retail. The bath products and alpaca throws were nice. Sheets were "well loved". Staff was gracious, kind, and very pleasant!

• Stayed June 2014
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed just one night passing through Mendicino and it was incredibly relaxing. The food was great, staff was there to please. Looking forward to coming back for a longer stay next time. Having everything be included (dinner, breakfast, etc) made the whole stay that much more relaxing....and it seemed like a great deal to us!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pelican room, had a nice little deck with french doors, got a great ocean breeze.
mbehjh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We (my husband, son and I) felt very much like we were staying with close friends or family members. Guy, the proprieter, was a wonderful host/concierge/guide/expert, it felt like we saw all of the unique things about the Mendocino coast. You'll have plenty of things to do in a two or three night stay, and it is also a great place to stay during a California coast tour. The view from the lobby porch is stunning! In the evenings, it's great to sit out with a glass of wine and a plate of tasty appetizers. There's a wonderful wood-burning fireplace in the great room with comfy chairs and newspapers and boardgames. You'll see lots of wildlife outside the inn, Deer, Birds, Marmots, etc. The excecutive chef, Peg, has got the food nailed. They accomadate any dietary needs, and the evening appetizers can easily make a dinner/gourmet meal. The staff are very friendly and ready to help with anything you might need. We had a chance to peek into all the other rooms, and we can assure that you will not be disappointed. They have a huge DVD library and movie collection to choose from, and they have DirectTV. In summary, great place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the meadowview suite. Lots of room, great beds. The song bird calls were a great way...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This Inn is in a beautiful location with an amazing view onto a crystal clear bay. It's just a few miles from Mendocino downtown, close to the Big River, in a private and quiet setting.

I am not sure what the difference is between and Inn and a B&B, but I would consider this place a B&B, due to its small size and the lay out. It's more like a house with rooms than a hotel.

Our bedroom was the Madrone. A corner room with a narrow deck and 2 deck chairs, and a window on the other wall. We had a fireplace, TV (there are tons of DVD available for free in the lobby), two comfy chairs and an ottoman, lovely alpaca blankets and a desk with a chair. Not a huge room but a good size.

The bathroom had a huge bath tub. Two people can lie in it next to each other, facing the same direction. We enjoyed it a lot. It's a jacuzzi tub, but those tubs never have enough jets to really work and are too noisy; we kept it turned off.

Otherwise, the bathroom is not huge but very nice, with one sink and a toilet. A window that can open (nice), and a door that opens into the room and is not ideal, as you have to close it when you are in the bathroom at the sink. The products were very nice, including shower cap, a sponge and other utilities (e.g. make up remover cloth). We also had two nice bath robes.

As far as I can tell, there was no safe in the room. There is a fridge in the lobby that guests are free to use.

The nicest part of the Inn is the large deck out the back of the Dining Room. It has chairs and a great view onto the little bay. We spent quite some time sitting out there relaxing, with some blankets. Very well kept and pretty.

Our room was down a short corridor from the lobby & breakfast/dining room. There is a glass door to the corridor that is closed at night, so we did not hear noise from the main area.

We did hear noise from the people above us, including them taking a bath (I think), walking around (frantically?) and snoring heavily.

Let me get to the items that lead me to give the Brewery Gulch only a 3 rating:
- We paid over $1,500 for three nights. That raises my expectations VERY HIGH in all possible areas of hospitality. I did not feel that I got my money's worth (comparing it to staying at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay, for example).
- The breakfast: there is a breakfast menu with quite a few options but a) my husband ordered the cooked breakfast (included) and did not think it was great; maybe average.
- I am not a big breakfast eater, so asked for boiled eggs and fruit. There was fruit on the menu with yoghurt and granola: banana, strawberry and mango. That is what sounded good to me. So I asked explicitly for the fruit from the dish with yoghurt & granola, but without. I had seen somebody else order this in a big bowl.
I ended up getting a tiny bowl of fruit, including melon. I generally don't like fruit bowls when they include melon, and it's a restaurants way of saving money. So the next day, I I said, I'd like the menu item with the fruit, yoghurt and granola, without the granola. Again, I got a tiny bowl of fruit with melon. Same on the last day. One day my eggs where hard boiled, one day soft boiled. This might sound picky, but if you charge my $500 a night, I think I can expect to get what I want.
- The breakfast server (always a single person) was friendly but seemed overwhelmed with the amount of guests and a little bit with the English language.
- The juices and lassi were very good. We were surprised though that the 4 Diamond Inn offers neither lattes, cappuccinos or even French press coffee. The only coffee available was from a dispenser. It was good coffee. There was cream. No milk or soy milk.
- It seems one of the main attractions for the Brewery Gulch Inn is the food offering in the later afteroon, at 5:30 PM. It's not dinner but a snack. This was a bit confusing to me. I could eat some cheese with my wine at 5:30 PM or have a full dinner. But having a quite large amount of cooked food at this time but not quite dinner makes no sense to me.
- The first night, Thursday, we arrived a bit late and the Inn Keeper kindly had made us a plate with duck, sweet potato and another root vegetable. It was very good and our dinner that night. As there is always dessert available at the Inn, you can easily fill up that way. The desserts were all excellent, including muffins, scones and a lemon blueberry creamish one; lovely.
- The next night, there was duck, root vegetables and another side.
- The last night, they had pork ribs, and two sides.
On the second night, the person dispensing the free wine kept telling people that they were running out soon, and to get your wine and food. We decided to skip and go out for dinner, which was probably good for our wasteline.

So, if you like to eat a lot, there is very good food. I just don't understand the "dinner but not quite dinner part". We ended up skipping the food and just going for dinner.

- Our mattress was terrible. It was too soft and after 2 nights, we both had back and joint pains. I reported it to the Inn and they were very concerned and helpful, and added boards under the mattress and took of a soft mattress topper. We were told they got mattresses "somewhere in the middle, in regards to firmness", so it works for most people. Well, when we stay at the Ritz or Fairmont or Westin, I don't know what mattresses they pick, but I think they are generally well received ("think Westin Heavenly Bed"). So I am not sure a medium mattress firmness is right.
Unfortunately, it was only slightly better that night, but we do truly appreciate the effort.

Close by, we loved cycling along and kayaking on the Big River. The Inn recommended the "Wild Fish" restaurant close by for dinner and it was great.

We also had dinner one night at the Stanford Inn by the Big River, at an out-of-this-world vegan restaurant that we just stumbled upon (we are not vegans). I highly recommend it.

Frankly, I think for our next visit to Mendocino, I will stay at the Stanford Inn. While I did not see the rooms, I loved the property with their own vegetable gardens, the proximity to the River (you can just walk down and kayak), and it looked like a room on a higher level would have a great view. I checked prices and rooms ran from $299 to $355 at the time we paid $500 at the Brewery Gulch Inn. They also offer yoga classes and have a swimming pool.

All in all, my husband and I left wondering what we paid so much money for. It was nice, but it was not fabulous. Definitely over-priced.

Room Tip: We had a corner room but it was not very bright. Maybe a room on the second floor? We liked our Madr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MendocinoInnkeeper, Owner at Brewery Gulch Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. It was great to see that there were many aspects of your visit to Brewery Gulch that you enjoyed. I am sorry that you feel you didn’t receive a good value during your time at the inn. For those reading your review and the comparison to a stay at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay, I wanted to clarify that comparison. The room you selected was our largest, most expensive individual room. We have a variety of other rooms available during the season that begin at $ 350.00 per night on the weekends, and $ 325.00 per night during the week. Please keep in mind that this rate includes a full breakfast ordered off a menu (a comparative value of at least $ 40.00 per couple if dining out in Mendocino), and a full buffet dinner with local wines and beers (a value comparison of at least $ 80.00 per couple). Our rates also include both wifi and the extensive DVD collection you noted. And of course, there is no charge for parking at Brewery Gulch:) We do our absolute best to offer a comprehensive, all-inclusive stay with outstanding service to each and every guest.

At the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay, for the weekend you stayed with us, the rates began at $ 565.00 per night (without meals) and to gain access to the wifi and DVDs, etc., there is an additional $ 25.00 per night resort fee.

I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.
Savona, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is one the best INN / guesthouses we have ever been. We spent two nights there...next time I would stay more nights...
Everything was perfect: the lovely "LOOKOUT" room with sea view (including luxury soap / amenities), the good breakfasts and light dinners with fresh and local ingredients, local wines and beers (BEERS WERE DELICIOUS!) tasting, a lovely living room and garden, a selection of new magazines (Rolling Stones, National Geopgraphic and many more) and a friendly staff. This is a special place WITH A SOUL. It has set a new standard for our holiday, but it's not so easy to find such a great VALUE FOR MONEY. We miss Brewery Gulch Inn!!!
Simply fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

A great B&B just south of town offering great food, service, and views. Nice modern rooms with deck or balcony (some have spa tubs). Full made to order breakfast in the morning and beer, wine, appetizers and dessert in the early evening. Owner and staff are all very nice and accommodating but not intrusive. Be sure to stop by Navarro or Toulouse Vineyards on CA-128 on your way to or from (or Anderson Valley Brewing Co. if you prefer beer!).

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floor are quieter and have better views (but no spa tubs)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Brewery Gulch Inn? Share your experiences!