“I love this place! What a trip :)~” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn

You added Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn to your Saves list
Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   44860 Main Street, P.O. Box 849, Mendocino, CA 95460 (Formerly Mendocino Village Inn)   |
Special Offer
Pets Stay Free!
Ranked #14 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
“I love this place! What a trip :)~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This place was like stumbling through a chapter of a Jack Kerouac book. The place has incredible character, built in 1881 and once owned by Emmy Lou Packard, the rooms whisper tales of old. I unpacked my old suitcase and began my trip. I walked around the charming historical town and then the headlands and the beach. When I returned I was greeted by Charles who was completely and cosmically on my level without the help of my suitcase. He fit the bill on my expectations for the inn keeper of this historic mansion. I was convinced he was a mind reader as he poured me a glass of wine and motioned for me to join him on the porch for nightly ritual. We partook and smiled. Talked about life, past and future. I went to bed with the magical moonlight caressing my face. I woke up to the delicious aroma of food. When I came down stairs there was a feast arranged at a lovely table. The coffee was hot and strong. And Charles cooked the breakfast himself! It was amazing. The French toast was out of this world and the local farm fresh eggs with wild crafted mushrooms couldn't be beat. I was told an Aborigine girl taught Charles how to play the Didjeridoo on one of his journeys thus the inspiration for the naming of the place. He also played the Didjeridoo for us and mesmerized us all with it's enchanting vibrations. What a guy! What a place! What a trip! I extended my stay for a whole week and stayed in three different rooms, all wonderful. I will return to this little gem. Thank you Charles and Didjeridoo! I couldn't have pocked a better place!

• Stayed March 2013
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thanks, loved having you here! But the girl who taught me the Didj was not from OZ she's a really cool American Hippy Girl!

Please come back soon :)

@ Didjeridoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
El Dorado Hills, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had purchased a two night stay for my husband and I as a Christmas gift. We arrived at the property and was surprised to be asked to pay another $15 for "taxes"...I was under the impression we had paid in full with our on line reservation. The room we were given was on the bottom floor. Starting at approximately 10:30pm the occupants of the room above us, returned to their room. The sound above us was like a herd of elephants....followed by what sounded like the occupants moving furniture around. Then about the same time, a baby started crying, and crying, and crying, and screeching, and screeching and crying and crying allllllllllllllll night. That ended about 2:30a-3:00am. Needless to say the walls are "paperthin". Then about 5:30am the baby started crying and crying and crying and crying. For about 2 more hours. We got almost no sleep at all. The property was advertised a "meditation" center and it was nothing even close. At about 7:30a the next morning I went to Charles and asked him if there was another room we could move to. He said NO. I explained to him what had happeded the night before and his response was "What do you want me to do about it". He seemed like he didn't care at all. He did say he would talk to the people, but our feeling was that the situation was not going to get better. I politely asked him for a refund for our room for the second night and he basically laughed in my face and said absolutely NO. It went from bad to worse! I said well I guess Trip Advisor and Living Social will hear from me, and his response was "WELL I HOPE YOU LEAVE". We did. (Later when we returned to the Inn to retrieve our things, Charles said he talked to the family (with 3 kids) the baby and told them they would have to leave if they baby was loud again-we did not believe he would kick out a family with 3 kids in the middle of the night). Why is a family with 3 kids staying in a one bedroom place in the first place??) We did not need to stay at a place where the keeper was so rude and hositle toward us. We have NEVER in our lives forefeited a room and went to stay at another place. We left and went to McCullum House where they 1) gave us a recduced rate on the room, 2) a Complimentary bottle of wine, 3) $14.00 of food credit in their restaurant, and 4) a 5 star free breakfast for each of us. We learned that there used to be a connection between the Didjeridoo and McCullum House but McCullum house cut their lease with Didjeridoo becasue Didjeridoo refuse to do repairs and upgrades to the property. So my suggestion is you get what you pay for: Go to McCullum House and enjoy your stay in Mendocino a whole lot more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, General Manager at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Note: This review was written by the wife of the person who wrote the last review....

Hi,

I was just going to write back the same as i wrote to you Hubby but your review is SO off;

You bought a living social voucher and it states ON THE VOUCHER you pay the tax!
The walls are not "paper thin" and my apartment is on the side of where you were staying so my wife and I would have heard the same noise. There was a little noise when they checked in but that was it!

7:30 you walked up and, asked to talk and i asked if it could be after I mad breakfast for 24 people. You said no we needed to "talk" then and you proceeded to demand another room or a refund or you would give us a terrible review on Tripadvisor. I don't work like that and don't appreciate the meanness you were showing. I told you I would not refund you and you said you would stay elsewhere.... I like 99% of my guest but when 1 of the 1% who are SO RUDE, threaten me with a bad review and then that they will stay else where if they don't get back their 60 bucks (really that's what you payed!!!) I reply with things like "Well I hope you leave".

Now, like i wrote to your husband, Didjeridoo is not for Uptight, Pretentious people....

Ps. The Mac house had this place for 8 years before leaving it in bad shape to center on their Hill House property but it's getting better and ALOT of people LOVE it!

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife purchased a two night stay as a Christmas gift for me. We checked into a small room that screamed for an update. There were numerous spots on the walls that would benefit from a five minute paint touch up and the carpet was dirty and old. The most fun occured when a family checked into the room over ours with three small children. When we checked in the mgmt forgot to mention this small detail to us. Throughout the evening it sounded like they were moving around the furniture. Several hours later they quieted down until about 5am when a small child screamed for 45 minutes. The next morning my wife politely asked about moving to another room due to the above issue as I took a cold shower due to no hot water. She was met with a hostile attitude by the owner. She then asked for a refund for one night and was flatly told no, and that we could just leave if we did not like the inn. Well, thats just what we did and we spent a fantastic night at the MacCallum house right down the street. This place is a dump with poor management. Its a sad excuse for a bed and breakfast that should shut its doors.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed the Mac House. You are right about a couple of things in your awful review of us but you left out a couple things also......

I did refuse to refund you - True
The people above you did check in at 10pm, with 3 children - True

You paid half price to stay - Not Mentioned
You Immediately threatened to give me a bad review if you weren't refunded - Not Mentioned

Didjeridoo is not a white glove Inn, It's homey, friendly and casual. It's not for everyone.

PLEASE Pretentious, Uptight people STAY SOME WHERE ELSE.

Tuolumne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed over presidents weekend which was my husband's birthday. Charles the inn keeper is very friendly and hospitible, and other reviews are right he is a gormet cook!! (and I know good food my husband was a chef) our two little Boston Terriers were very welcome, and the last thing that Charles said before we departed was "your little dogs put a smile on my face." what a good feeling to leave with... I would definetly stay again, in fact I've already chosen the room I want when we can make the trip back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Your Dogs were so CUTE!!! Thanks for enjoying and come back soon!!!

Santorini, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife Rose and I chose Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn in downtown Mendocino for our 32nd anniversary with our Golden Retriever Cleo. We were so pleased with the experience and would not hesitate to return when next we go to Mendo.
Our room, number 67 with bathroom, was on the second floor, charmingly adorned, furnished with refridgerator, tv and a FIREPLACE. The bed was so comfortable. We fell asleep to the sounds of the ocean's breakers crashing on the Mendo cliffs.
The breakfasts were a special treat with each morning a new and delicious experience: bacon, french toast, berries, yoghurt, scrambled eggs mixed with mushrooms, orange juice and hot strong coffee. Yum!
Our host, Charles and his wife, did their very best to make us feel part of their (extended) family. The night we arrived there was a jazz recital by torch singer Sally and her accompaniest Ira on electric piano. Momma Bear read scintilating poetry perfectly suited for Valentine's Day.
Oh Yeah! We recommend Didjeridoo to all of our friends for future adventure along the Mendo coast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We really liked having you guys! 67 is a great quaint cozy room, my favorite smaller room in the house. Valentines was cool, Sally and Motherbear were GREAT!

Come back soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A vintage historic inn that is casual, clean and comfortable. The innkeeper, Charles, is very attentive to his guests and provides a wonderful full breakfast every morning. A great value in Mendocino! Highly recommend. Room 60 is large with a king canopy bed, fireplace, private bath and a view of the vintage church across the street. Everyone we met there felt the same and were equally happy with their accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013
Thanks for the great review! Comeback for our abalone potluck's starting in April!

Lincoln, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My friend and i arrived on a Wednesday afternoon for a mid week stay on a LivingSocial Deal. We could not have been happier. I had room 66 and loved the spaciousness, the electric fireplace, the chair to read comfortably or watch a little TV at night. The mini fridge was perfect for keeping the important stuff of life, wine, cheese, and water, cold. Loved the bed, very comfortable. My friend had Rm 68 and she was also very happy with her room. We met the nicest group of people in the afternoon and at breakfast and ironically one couple lives just down the road from us. Charles and Mary are wonderful hosts; Mary showed us the short cut to 2 great restuarants, Marissa gave me a short tour of the water tower and that looks really interesting for a family stay especially as my son always travels with his dogs. And what can I say about Charles other than how can you not love a man who cooks like a dream, obviously enjoys what he does and his customers, and loves Bob Dylan. CDs coming your way Charles. I am already planning on a 3 generation mother, daughter, granddaughters trip and of course my friend's and my traditional February trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi! I had a great time talking with you. Our village is having a Bob Dylan Fest (Bob Fest) on March 22nd, our great local artist all doing Bob music all night at the Hill House. Thanks for all the good words and we will see you soon!

Loving Kindness

@ Didjeridoo

Been to Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn? Share your experiences!