“Dreams come true at the Didjeridoo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn

You added Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn to your Saves list
Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   44860 Main Street, P.O. Box 849, Mendocino, CA 95460 (Formerly Mendocino Village Inn)   |
Special Offer
Pets Stay Free!
Ranked #14 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Redondo Beach, California
“Dreams come true at the Didjeridoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Wow, magical things really do happen at this inn. (personal, so I won't elaborate.) I loved my room (61) with it's fireplace and great, comfy, four-poster bed. Loved breakfast with my delightful hosts and other guests. Loved the energy of the old church across the way. Loved walking to the ocean or the village. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
We Love you!
See you soon :)

from
Didjeridoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I would have to agree with gina h more than many of the other reviews. My wife and I arrived at the Inn around 3:00 and were greeted by a rather strong smell. I would say it was either a really bad pot of kombucha or more likely marijuana. The Inn itself was fine but you are really left to figure things out on your own. There is no literature in the rooms that list the perticulars of the Inn such breakfast time, if there are books or movies available, how to contact staff, what TV channels are available, etc. I am still at a loss to know what about this place had anything to do with a "Meditation Center".
Our room was clean and the bathroom looked like at had just recently been redone. This is truly an old Inn and there are some things that go along with staying in a place like that including relatively thin walls and drafty windows. This was fine although being on the first floor you could hear everything that was going on in the entry way and main room. Everything quieted down very early and we did get a very nice night's sleep. The smell of the "tea" was gone by 7:00 when my wife and I got back to the Inn. One other negative to our room was that there was not a lot of privacy offered from outside our window. There is a walkway directly outside and no privacy screens. The window dressings were impossible to get to cover the entire window. This led to looking at people as they walked right past within a foot of our bay window, looking right at our bed. Not too romantic.
Breakfast in the morning was a disappointment. The staff at the Inn was very nice and had smiles on thier faces. They really seemed like nice people that really wanted you to enjoy yourself while you were there. Since Charles seems to read all of these reviews I hope that he takes this in the most constructive way possible. Sitting around in random chairs and couches is a bit off putting. I have never been at an Inn or B&B that did not offer some choice at breakfast. We had the breakfast pizza. One was alright the other had enough salt on it to brine fish. There was no vegetarian option that I saw, no cereal, no milk, no fresh fruit. Perhaps these things came out after we left. We tried the breakfast but ended up eating in town.
Overall I would say my impression of this place it that it has potential but there needs to be a great deal of improvement to the professionalism shown by the staff. Again, this is not to take away from their warm, friendly personalities. This comment is more about delivering a comfortable experience for the customer. There are a lot of positive comments on this place. I think a lot of that comes down to the friendlyness of the staff. For me, the smell of what seemed like marijuana inside the Inn when we got there and the ad hoc nature of service was not what what I hope for in my vacation accomodations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Wow! I want you to know I'm not offended by your review with the exception of guessing the smell might have been "a really bad pot of kombucha", our kombucha is Great! Our information & policy sheets are being printed and I'll have them in the rooms soon.

The Breakfast;

Miranda made GREAT organic breakfast pizza's from scratch using local wild mushrooms and herbs. She made 3 pizzas all of them were vegetarian. When she was preparing them the cap came off the salt container and spilled the salt on one side of one pizza. She was almost in tears. She thought she had got it off to where it was good. When the first guest mentioned the salt I told the whole room what had happened and brought out more pizza, everyone enjoyed, sorry you left unhappy :(

Your room (60);

60 is a beautiful room right at the front of the house with a great garden and church view. When you walk by the room on the outside walkway you can see in the bay window but not the bed, its set to far back and the room is higher than the walk way.

The Meditation center;

It's on the 3rd floor and is used by us and our guest. Miranda has been giving Didjeridoo meditations in it for sometime. By the Summer of this year we will have a Yurt up to be used for meditation and other programs, stay tuned!

The Smell;

This is Mendocino and not to say its a good thing or a bad thing but you might smell that smell in other Inn's here, on the beach and many other places. We hope people try not to be offensive in their practices. We do not allow smoking of any kind in the houses common area and tobacco is only allowed outside!

Finally,

Our Inn is not an old stoic Victorian Inn, we are Mendocino people in a house of loving-kindness and the place seems to attract many cool people. We hope you were not offended or to uncomfortable being here and sorry bout that salt!

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I love discovering hidden gems like Didjeridoo. This Victorian-era B&B offers grand lodgings bigger than my apartment - complete with fireplace, vaulted ceilings, luxurious four-post bed, jacuzzi, in-room fridge and microwave, even stained glass windows - all at a great rate. Perfect after a day's drive from SF, and only 2 blocks from downtown Mendocino's cozy shops & restaurants.

To top it off, Miranda, Charles, and Mary were very helpful and gracious hosts. They even accommodated my food allergy in the breakfast buffet! Overall, location, service, and room all get an A+. Definitely recommending to friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thanks for the Great review! Awesome picture of room 61 and the fire place, looks cozy n warm :)

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had two wonderful nights in Didjeridoo Inn in late December. The first thing that hit us about the Inn, was the herb-and-flower garden leading to the front porch. We entered the Inn to the sounds of Joni Mitchell, followed by James Taylor and other favorites of that era. What made the Inn really special were our hosts: Charles and Mary. Charles invited our entire family to join them for turkey tacos our first night, and when I noted that one of our daughters was a vegetarian, Mary said it would be no problem to rustle up a salad and a vegetarian option for her. We ended up not joining them for dinner, but enjoyed hours of good conversation with both Charles and Mary, sharing both the political and the personal. Our room on the ground floor featured a fireplace, well-stocked with wood -- as did all the other first-floor rooms. You will not only enjoy the fire, but you will need it to keep the room sufficiently warm. Nothing better than lying in bed at night to a crackling fire. Our daughters shared a room on the second floor -- no fireplace, but no heat problem there. Charles had great suggestions for restaurants, and for off-the-beaten-track outdoor activities, geared to our family's interests. The location of the Inn is ideal -- just a one-minute walk to the center of town, and to the Mendocino beaches. A recent reviewer complained that the Inn has not been well-maintained. I felt that the individual rooms were not only well-maintained but also quite attractive. I agree that the common area was a bit run-down I personally did not find this a drawback. I stay at B&Bs for a more personal experience which is what we got. (I do hope that Charles and Miranda can figure out a way to get more heat into the common room since this is a delightful place to hang out in the late afternoon and early evening). We also found that the staff did not make up our rooms. I was surprised, but again, for a two-day stay, I didn't find this a problem. It would probably be useful for Didjeridoo to post their housekeeping policies in each room so people will know what to expect. Since I am not a breakfast eater, I can't comment personally on the quality of the meals. My family reported really liking the french toast, and feeling less enthusiastic about breakfast on the first morning. Yup, you do have to balance plates on your lap, but it all worked out, and made for extra conversation among the guests. If you are looking for a fancy-fancy B&B experience, and one that will pass the white-glove test in the common room, then this wouldn't be your thing. But if you are looking for the friendliest hosts in Northern California, with a great overall ambience, Didjeridoo Inn is your place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are inherently warmer, but we loved having a fireplace in our first-floor...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Your family is so cool. Great review, you really pegged our place, and thanks for such kind words, I luv having good cool people in this house :)

Loving-Kindness, Loving-Kindness

Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

It is hard to believe that we were in the same Inn as the other reviewers. This is a very old Inn that has not been well-maintained. The furniture, rugs, and linens are old, stained, and shabby. Breakfast on our first morning consisted of a nut and grain bread that had been made into a brick-like French toast, an unheated bowl of scrambled eggs that chilled quickly, very weak coffee, and bacon. There was a couch and dining chairs scattered around, but no table other than the buffet table, so guests were expected to balance their plates on their laps. We left and went hiking, returning about 3 PM. After freshening up, I mentioned to the staff that our room had not yet been made up. He responded that they, "do not make up rooms unless it has been specifically requested," and that "houkeeping staff were already gone for the day." We had never been told that was their policy, and although we have travelled all over the world, we have never been to a place that called itself an Inn, with these sorts of rates, that had that policy. We settled for clean towels, which were provided. Although we travel to the North Coast every 2-3 months, we will not be returning to this Inn.

Room Tip: Most rooms are on the second or third floors, and the stairs are very steep. There is no elevator...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry you did not enjoy yourself at Didjeridoo. You are our first "bad" review and if you would have let us know of your dissatisfaction we would have done everything possible to make you happy. I have responded to every review we have had so far and now I would like to respond to yours.
The Inn is old, it was built in 1881, but it is in very good shape. Much of the furniture is antique but well kept and our rugs and furniture are not shabby and stained. I cooked the breakfast you wrote about, it consisted of french toast made from Costeaux's Walnut Cinnamon Bread, local bacon cooked with brown sugar and flaky red peppers, scrambled eggs cooked with sour cream and organic pepper jack cheese and shade grown fair trade organic dark coffee, we serve it hot off the stove at 9am (9:10) and I'm sorry you did not enjoy it as most do. We have a table that seats 12 people but when we are full we take out the leaf's and set it buffet. Our inn accommodates 24 people and that would take a giant table and would not fit in our dinning area. Most people enjoy eating here as it usually becomes very festive and positive with great conversation, sorry you did not feel this way. We do not service the rooms unless requested (this is a inn not a motel or hotel) but are more than happy to do so when asked. When you mentioned you room had not been serviced I mentioned back that we would be more than happy to do it (i would have done it personally) and you replied "just towels, thank you". After reading you review I will be creating a tent flyer that will have our policies on it, thank you for bringing this to our attention. You stayed with us during the new years holiday and were given very good rates, I'm sorry you disagree with that. On your room tips you put that there is no elevator and most of the rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Our Inn was built in 1881 so there is no elevator but only 4 of our 12 guest rooms are on the 2nd floor and none on the 3rd floor, that's our meditation room.

I'll leave you with this;

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time :)

Loving-Kindness from Mendocino
St Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We just got back from a 2 nights stay 12/22/11 - 12/24/11. We stayed in room 67, which is on the 2nd floor. It is a small room, but still very nice and cozy. The only complaint on our room is on the water pressure in the shower. I have really thick hair, so it took me longer to shampoo/rinse. The bed was awesome and very comfortable. I don't think I've slept that good away from home in a long time. We travelled with some friends and their room was pretty cold. They don't think the heat was working, but the innkeepers helped light a fire both nights. The innkeepers are excellent, very helpful and attentive. Breakfast each morning was also great. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Hi! Thanks for the great review. 67 is small, we are going to change the room title to "Mini Deluxe". I think your friends were in room 60 and that's an awesome room but very hi ceiling and lots of windows in the front so it can get cold on a cold starry night unless you stoke the fire well. Thanks for your great words and great feedback!

Peace n Luv from Mendocino
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I arrived last night and was upgraded to a spacious suite with a fire place and jacuzzi at a great price Miranda,Charles and Mary are down to earth people who love what they do. The breakfast was big and delicious. I choose this B&B after I saw 15 reviews that were all excellent ratings through Tripadvisor.com. I was not disappointed. I will be back for sure because of the warm welcome that I have received. Great conversions, great music and excellent hospitality.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
We are very glad you enjoyed our place and Thank You for choosing us...Come back soon!

Been to Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn? Share your experiences!