“very poor service and atmosphere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn

You added Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn to your Saves list
Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   44860 Main Street, P.O. Box 849, Mendocino, CA 95460 (Formerly Mendocino Village Inn)   |
Special Offer
Pets Stay Free!
Ranked #14 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“very poor service and atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

It is hard to believe that we were in the same Inn as the other reviewers. This is a very old Inn that has not been well-maintained. The furniture, rugs, and linens are old, stained, and shabby. Breakfast on our first morning consisted of a nut and grain bread that had been made into a brick-like French toast, an unheated bowl of scrambled eggs that chilled quickly, very weak coffee, and bacon. There was a couch and dining chairs scattered around, but no table other than the buffet table, so guests were expected to balance their plates on their laps. We left and went hiking, returning about 3 PM. After freshening up, I mentioned to the staff that our room had not yet been made up. He responded that they, "do not make up rooms unless it has been specifically requested," and that "houkeeping staff were already gone for the day." We had never been told that was their policy, and although we have travelled all over the world, we have never been to a place that called itself an Inn, with these sorts of rates, that had that policy. We settled for clean towels, which were provided. Although we travel to the North Coast every 2-3 months, we will not be returning to this Inn.

Room Tip: Most rooms are on the second or third floors, and the stairs are very steep. There is no elevator...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry you did not enjoy yourself at Didjeridoo. You are our first "bad" review and if you would have let us know of your dissatisfaction we would have done everything possible to make you happy. I have responded to every review we have had so far and now I would like to respond to yours.
The Inn is old, it was built in 1881, but it is in very good shape. Much of the furniture is antique but well kept and our rugs and furniture are not shabby and stained. I cooked the breakfast you wrote about, it consisted of french toast made from Costeaux's Walnut Cinnamon Bread, local bacon cooked with brown sugar and flaky red peppers, scrambled eggs cooked with sour cream and organic pepper jack cheese and shade grown fair trade organic dark coffee, we serve it hot off the stove at 9am (9:10) and I'm sorry you did not enjoy it as most do. We have a table that seats 12 people but when we are full we take out the leaf's and set it buffet. Our inn accommodates 24 people and that would take a giant table and would not fit in our dinning area. Most people enjoy eating here as it usually becomes very festive and positive with great conversation, sorry you did not feel this way. We do not service the rooms unless requested (this is a inn not a motel or hotel) but are more than happy to do so when asked. When you mentioned you room had not been serviced I mentioned back that we would be more than happy to do it (i would have done it personally) and you replied "just towels, thank you". After reading you review I will be creating a tent flyer that will have our policies on it, thank you for bringing this to our attention. You stayed with us during the new years holiday and were given very good rates, I'm sorry you disagree with that. On your room tips you put that there is no elevator and most of the rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Our Inn was built in 1881 so there is no elevator but only 4 of our 12 guest rooms are on the 2nd floor and none on the 3rd floor, that's our meditation room.

I'll leave you with this;

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time :)

Loving-Kindness from Mendocino
Charles @ Didjeridoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
St Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We just got back from a 2 nights stay 12/22/11 - 12/24/11. We stayed in room 67, which is on the 2nd floor. It is a small room, but still very nice and cozy. The only complaint on our room is on the water pressure in the shower. I have really thick hair, so it took me longer to shampoo/rinse. The bed was awesome and very comfortable. I don't think I've slept that good away from home in a long time. We travelled with some friends and their room was pretty cold. They don't think the heat was working, but the innkeepers helped light a fire both nights. The innkeepers are excellent, very helpful and attentive. Breakfast each morning was also great. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Hi! Thanks for the great review. 67 is small, we are going to change the room title to "Mini Deluxe". I think your friends were in room 60 and that's an awesome room but very hi ceiling and lots of windows in the front so it can get cold on a cold starry night unless you stoke the fire well. Thanks for your great words and great feedback!

Peace n Luv from Mendocino
Charles @ Didjeridoo
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I arrived last night and was upgraded to a spacious suite with a fire place and jacuzzi at a great price Miranda,Charles and Mary are down to earth people who love what they do. The breakfast was big and delicious. I choose this B&B after I saw 15 reviews that were all excellent ratings through Tripadvisor.com. I was not disappointed. I will be back for sure because of the warm welcome that I have received. Great conversions, great music and excellent hospitality.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
We are very glad you enjoyed our place and Thank You for choosing us...Come back soon!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We were in Mendocino for Thanksgiving and happened on the Didjeridoo Inn by accident - so glad we did! The rooms were great, and the inn is close to everywhere you want to be in Mendocino. But it was the phenomenal hosts and the great company that made it so fabulous. The shared meals (including Charles's abalone for Thanksgiving dinner) were terrific and transformed our vacation. Totally recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I'm 50 years old and I really think this was one of the funest Thanksgivings I've ever spent. What a great group of people. And for Real, Thank You Guys!!!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We loved our stay at the Didjeridoo Inn. We were in Mendocino for the Mushroom festival, but our stay also coincided with the Goddess festival for which the Inn threw an amazing party, complete with great folks, lots of wine and Charles' out-of-this-world abalone treats. Charles, Mary and Miranda are phenomenal, warm and fun hosts. The breakfasts were exceptional. Despite being fully booked and also taking care of numerous festival activities, Charles and Miranda went above and beyond any call of duty to make our experience unforgettable. Miranda took us on a mushroom and berry gathering tour of her favorite places. We had an absolute blast. This inn and the people running it are very special and we can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
That was such a mellow and beautiful party with great people, thanks for enjoying with us. This area rocks for mushrooms and Miranda is really good at finding them, our house is blessed to have her. Thanks for staying and see you two soon, have a great holiday season.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had an excellent stay at the Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn. Miranda and Charles were wonderful hosts! We were given a room upgrade upon arriving. I had the pleasure of staying for two nights and did not want to leave on Sunday morning. I truly enjoyed breakfast every morning. I had some great conversations with the other guests. I believe all of the food (as much as possible) that is served is organic. Thank you for making my stay in Mendocino so memorable!

I absolutely loved the Huckleberry(freshly picked) pancakes!!!!!!

I will definitely be staying here the next time I am in Mendocino.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
We Love our Berries and Miranda is great at gathering for food - she's been picking and cooking with alot of mushrooms latley too!

Thanks for choosing us!

Peace from Mendocino
Calif.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Didjeradoo, Charles was a great host! The best part was the abalone dinner and the lively conversation at dinner! Plenty of terrific wine from the area was had by all! We had heard on our trip that abalone was not sold in restaurants, so to be invited for abalone that was caught fresh that day was a huge treat!!! The room was nice and quite spacious! Breakfast was served like dinner, family style. It was nice meeting the other guests. The location was prime, close to everything!

• Stayed October 2011
Were' having a great reception party for the Goddess festival on 11-10-11, 6 till 10 and I'm guessig there will be wine :) Thanks for enojoying diner with us!

Been to Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn? Share your experiences!