“Beautiful Setting...NOT a Beautiful Experience!” 1 of 5 stars

MacCallum House Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45020 Albion St, Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Mendocino
Williamsville, New York
“Beautiful Setting...NOT a Beautiful Experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

When I have read about or visited Bed & Breakfast Inns, one of the most noticeable differences from a regular hotel has always been the welcoming atmosphere and how the owners took pride in what they had to offer and personally made sure your stay was comfortable. Not the case at the MacCallum House Inn. I do not think we ever saw the owners - the place seemed to be run by a bunch of otherwise out of work 20-somethings. From the first encounter with the person at the desk at the main entrance, you know this is a BUSINESS. She barely looked up when I asked her about checking-in. She motioned that I needed to go upstairs. The rest of our experience was similar. There seemed to be LOTS of rules for those staying at this Inn - don't do this, don't do that (or you will be charged). Even at the breakfast, as we were seated, we were told by the hostess "You can have an entree, but any sides or beverages are extra and we are automatically adding 18% gratuity to your bill". So much for the "breakfast" part of "Bed & Breakfast" - never encountered that before! I know why they do this - they are probably afraid that since the service is terrible throughout, they would not get tips if they were not added automatically! The food at breakfast was mediocre, at best. Our room experience echos that of many other reviews on this site, although I notice that no one had the same room as we did (#3) so that says a lot about the entire place. Our room was certainly "pet-friendly" - you could smell it as soon as you entered the room. We should have asked for another room, but I had already heard another tenant complaining and they were told that there were no other rooms available. We were tired after a long drive, so we just opened the window and hoped we could sleep through the smell. The room not only smelled, but was very dusty, musty and had a very uncomfortable feeling to it. The bed was comfortable and we both slept well. In the morning, we realized that we did not have any hot water in our sink or shower - something mentioned in other reviews, so it must be a common problem. Nothing like a cold shower on a cold morning! We couldn't wait for the water to warm up because if we left the room late, we would be charged by the hour! I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. You'd be better off camping! I know I should have said something to someone about all of this while we were there and had I run into and owner or manager, or someone who even seemed to care, I would have. But, it was clear from the inhospitable manner of everyone we encountered during our stay, that our concerns would have fallen on deaf ears.
NOTE: If you have read any of my other reviews on this site, you will notice that I am usually very generous and positive about my experiences. I only took the time to write this one because it was extremely disappointing!

Room Tip: Forget Room #3!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MendoFan1, General Manager at MacCallum House Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review of your experience with us. I want to apologize that this guests stay was not to their liking. I am unsure of about the comment 'otherwise out of work 20-somethings' means, but I find the the age of my staff varies and would say that my staff takes their job very seriously, and they are all trained to be as accommodating as possible to our visitors. Our commercial grade hot water heater was having some intermittent problems and was recently fixed by a professional service technician. I am sorry it was not functioning properly during this guests stay. The Main House where these guests stayed is entirely pet free, so I do not think any odor would have come from that source. The house is 136 years old and made entirely of wood and it is cleaned daily to limit any smells as much as possible. We take all comments from our guests to heart and continue to work on maintaining our rooms and improving our services.

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Worst B & B experience ever. Noise and fish smell(bed) from downstairs restaurant keep me awake until mid nite after long drive from Oregon. Breakfast is not what you expect from good B & B. It was restaurant meal big enough for dinner(not romantic at all). And they charge service charge of 18%( 18% of what?). Service charge for breakfast at the B & B ? Also about 20% of extra tax,charge on top of expensive room bill. What is Mandocino Preservation Fee? Try to keep traveler away from Mandocino?.By the way only gas station in Mandocino charges $ 6.30 per gallon for regular gasoline. No wander why they did not put sign board outside at the gas station. They are waiting for a innocent victim!

Room Tip: Stay away from main building.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The inn is set in picture-perfect Mendocino, which is known as the location for 'Murder she wrote', in lovely gardens with resident hummingbirds; its food is excellent without being expensive, service is very good, our favourite place in a 3 week tour
Our room in the main house was excellent and very comfortable (rooms are also available in annexes)

San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

No hot water both mornings of our stay. Attic suite: rooms dirty: old pretzel in corner, previous guest's dirty undergarment under one bed, huge dust bunnies under both beds, corners filthy. Furniture looks like it came from Salvation Army and Goodwill, no charm. TVs old, DVD plays black & white only, no color. Restaurant service at 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners slow, indifferent, with orders incomplete. Front desk service indifferent. Coffee and cream not refilled for 2nd morning. Given a key that did not work, had to replace it 3 times. No apologies for all the problems, but we did get a discount on the room rates at check out after listing them, but again no apology and it took some time. Extremely poorly run but expensive inn with charming exterior; F- to the management; staff seems unhappy and completely lacking any interest in the guests' experience. (Positives: plenty of towels, robes. But what good are towels when the water is cold?)

Room Tip: Do not recommend Attic Suite (#6).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I want to apologize that this guest did not enjoy their stay. The hot water heater was having some intermittent problems in the Main House and was recently fixed by a technician. I am sorry it was not functioning properly for these guests. We clean and inspect our rooms daily, and one of our housekeeping managers always inspects each room before it made available for check in.
Our management team takes all comments about difficulties with a stay in one of our rooms, or our restaurant, very seriously. We do our best to resolve any issues when alerted by our guests as quickly as possible. Guests may always contact us as well via email or phone call if they do not feel comfortable giving feedback at the time of their visit.
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We arrived at 5.30 pm having ore booked and paid a deposit for 2 nights. We went to our room and it was next to the hotels air conditioning unit. It was so loud we were unable to hear ourselves speak. We complained to the receptionist who said no one had previously complained . We asked for another room but we were told there were none available at the price we wanted. We could have a twin bedded room with a bathroom downstairs there were better rooms but we would have to pay. We asked to speak to the manager not available eventually she phoned the manager and we were upgraded to a suite. The service at breakfast and dinner was a bit too over bearing. In the end we had a good stay I think they rely in their reputation

• Stayed September 2013
New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you're searching for a modern, quiet, well appointed inn with spacious rooms and baths...keep searching. However if quaint is your style, you'll like this place. The floors squeak, there's a rumbling noise that sounds like a furnace at night, there is little space in your room for...anything, the bathroom sink was in the bedroom and the bedroom door stuck so much that it was hardly worth locking.
I loved this place, it was charming, it was quaint and it fit right into the surroundings. The location was perfect; the staff was knowledgeable and helpful, the bed was comfortable and there’s a bar and restaurant on the first floor and there was internet access via Wi-Fi. Everything is in walking distance; post office, restaurants, bars, shops and lovely walking trails along the ocean.
My wife and I stayed at the MacCallum House for three nights and used it as base for day trips to neighboring state parks. We dined at the restaurant twice for dinner and thrice for breakfast. The service and food at the restaurant was very good and very convenient.
The inn has comfortable seating areas on the porch, in the bar and a small comfortable reading room on the second floor complete with a computer with internet access.
We thoroughly enjoyed are stay at this lovely, quaint inn, despite its foibles.

Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Resting on good reviews: I had to explain gluten free to our waitress 3 times. I asked if there was a charge for corkage (NO) then got charged $20. I never saw her during dinner and had questions. The house is lovely and most of the staff are nice. But they are slacking off, fine dining prices, fine dining building-Denny's quality service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MendoFan1, General Manager at MacCallum House Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I am the General Manager of the hotel and restaurant and I was on duty when this couple came into dine. I personally sat them at a table and they were presented with our wine list which clearly states our corkage fee on the first page. They never asked any of my staff or myself if there was a charge for opening their bottle of wine, but they did request that we open it for them. In hindsight my server should have made them aware at that time; she may have assumed they looked at the wine list or had already inquired previously.

We have had the same corkage fee in place for the past 6 years and we do waive it when a guest purchases a bottle of wine from us. Like most restaurants that maintain a wine list we do charge a corkage fee to help offset the cost providing the service, stemware, and maintaining our own inventory.

We welcome guests to bring in any bottle of wine they would like to consume with us but we do charge a $20 per bottle fee.

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!