“wonderful snow white cabin deep in the woods” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   44951 Larkin Rd., Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
north yorkshire england
“wonderful snow white cabin deep in the woods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

My mother married on 7/7/07 and they booked a cabin for ME, my husband, 2 kids and auntie... A beautiful cabin deep in the woods built to resemble snow whites cabin. The master bedroom had a jacuzzi and was huge with plenty of storage for holiday makers.. A cozy fireplace radiated light while my lil girl slept in a bed that was handcrafted to fit into the window with views of awesome and breathtaking trees.

Definately a perfect relaxation spot for those who work alot and just need to sit down and read a book. Upstair is another bedroom where my aunt slept with my son and his cot. I live in the UK and this house definately had all the old time charm one would expect in snow whites cottage. Wood beams, a 2 story living room, Windows large enough to see all your surrounding without stepping outside..

Mendocino can be a bit chilly even during the hottest day of the year and we found that being inland was much cozier than staying in a beach cabin.

There are a few negatives though. The heating didn't work during our stay. The electric stove took forever to get hot enough to cook eggs on.. However, if you light a fire with the free logs blackberry inn supplies then the house becomes lovely and toasty. And once you get to know the stove it does eventually cook your food.

All in all a wonderful stay that I hope to enjoy again in the near future...

• Liked — The cottage looked straight out of amsterdam
  • Disliked — lack of heating and daily room service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MerrilyRolling, one of the owners at Blackberry Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2009
Since our Storybook cottage has radiant floor heating (which has heated water flowing through coils under the floor, and considered the best of all heating methods in a home), it is subject to dysfunction if the water heater goes out. Fortunately, this is not a common problem, however, we do keep portable electric heaters if this does occur. The cooking problem has been resolved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Since it was a Very Special aniversary getaway, and I had never been to Mendocino before, I agonized over where to stay and must have read
every review on this site to help me decide. I was about to reserve the Honeymoon Suite at MacCallum House but decided against it, partly
because I wasn't sure due to mixed Trip Adivsor reviews, and partly because when I called to get some information the staff seemed slightly diffident.

So I kept looking, with only four things really in mind - a king sized bed, an unobstructed view of the ocean, a spa tub, and some serious quiet and privacy. The Blackberry was one of the few places that had it all. Surprisingly, at most of the B&Bs in Mendo you seem to be only able to get three out of four at once. I would find a king
bed, but only a garden view, or an ocean view, but only a shower, etc.

The clincher was how friendly and helpful they were when I called. And at half the cost of the Honeymoon Suite, we could eat very well the whole time we were up there. So we did. (Dinner at MacCallum House was fabulous, Cafe Beaujolais less so.)

We had a comfortable bed (with a much cuter bedspread than you will see on their website), a wonderful view, wine to greet us and cookies and muffins. It was (obviously) more down-home than luxurious, and it's not right in the village like the others (have to drive to dinner), but it was very clean and we were both happy.

Only a couple of minor quibbles - the pilot light in our room's heater was surprisingly loud - it actually woke me up a couple of times. The website is slightly misleading in that the pictures look like you're in an entirely detached cabin, but there was a room next to ours. However due to the layout of the rooms, we could not hear our neighbors even a little bit - just their shower running in the morning, so it wasn't an issue.

One weird thing, I am not sure if this is common practice nowadays, but we were given "gratuity" envelopes to tip the housekeeping staff individually - it felt odd on the last day, because we weren't sure if the person who was going to clean up after us was the same person we were tipping.

However, for the value, the view, and the pleasant, friendly management, I would certainly stay again and recommend the Blackberry
without hesitation.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — minor glitches, not quite my style of decor
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I found the Blackberry Inn online and decided to go for a three day weekend getaway at the last minute. I also picked the place because they allow pets (I brought my little pomeranian with us and he was in seventh heaven.) Cost: $10 a night for 1 pet, which was very reasonable (another place wanted $30 per night for one pet)! It definitely met and exceeded our expectations.

The western "town" theme makes it very welcoming. Our room was really quaint: the bed had a quilt, there was a TV, there were a couple of duraflames for the fireplace, and the fresh-baked goodies/little fruit basket was a very nice touch. They even gave us milkbones for the dog. The office folks were super friendly. There's no cell phone service, and they let me use their phone to call a local restaurant for reservations.

Now a lot of towns are not dog friendly (Santa Cruz, for one, you can't take your dog on the beach or boardwalk). But Mendocino is different. We went to the Mendocino Cafe with him, which had outdoor seating and also saw other couples with their dogs. We took walks on the lovely cliff trails (filled with wild flowers), saw beautiful sunsets, and felt that this was a magical town. The Inn is not directly in town, but it was about 2 minutes away by car, so it isn't that bad.

In terms of things to do, I'd recommend a private beach horseback ride at Riccochet Ranch north of Fort Bragg (group trail ride is $45). We also went canoing, which was literally 3 minutes away from the Inn. ($20 per hour/2 hour minimum). We were glad we visited this beautiful part of California and will definitely come back to the Blackberry Inn.

• Liked — home-like feel
  • Disliked — not in town, but it's pretty close to it.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Osaka, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

-- Friendly, low key staff.
-- Very welcoming room: comfortable furniture, bed, good layout, spacious, and a good bread/breakfast basket (with coffee).
-- Easy access, just a bit off the highway (and you can't hear any cars from the hotel).
-- Refreshingly original design (no corporate feel at all), but not too quirky or too B&B-ish.

• Liked — Feeling that the proprietors care.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

This was my first time in Mendocino and I didn't have a clue as to were to stay so I took it upon myself to search online. I read the reviews for the Blackberry Inn and they were all good so I checked out the website. Upon review of the site and liking what I saw, I went ahead and made a reservation and glad that I did.

Upon my arrival, I thought the whole Western motif was cute and different. I dug how they named the different rooms. I stayed in the BoardingHouse. As I entered the room, I was immediately impressed with the attention to detail and cleanliness. It also felt more homey than regular hotels as they add personal touches like the homemade cookies and brownies (yum) and fresh fruit. Being the coffee connoisseur that I am, I was impressed with the organic coffee they offered in the room as opposed to the disgusting coffee that you usually find in hotel rooms. The room I stayed in had a fireplace (very cozy) and king size bed and basically all the comforts of home. It felt like my own mini house. Even the front door looks like a house complete with a mat and porch lights!

The Inn is in a good, quiet, location. It is within short driving distance to most major sight seeing spots in the area. Oh and don't forget to say hi to the resident kitty a beautiful Calico cat who roams about the grounds. I would definitely recommend this place to friends.

Stayed March 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We have been staying at the Blackberry every year for ten years on our annual trips to California. We like both the physical plant and the staff. We hate to have to leave the place when our schedule says we have to move on.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

Blackbery Inn is traquil, bucolic and charming. It sits on a bluff just east of Pacific Coast Highway in sleepy Menocino County. The rooms are clean and well -appointed. The Inn features a western motif, with room facades like a sherriff's office, a general store, a bank and a "parlor," the latter being among the most romantic of the inn's rooms. Most have decks and many have kitchens and jacuzzis. The staff is happy and discrete. Just a minute or two awaylies the bohemian town of Mendocino, and several fine restaurants are within ten miles. Go for a serene, adult get-away.

Been to Blackberry Inn? Share your experiences!