“A Treasure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mendocino Farmhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Mendocino Farmhouse
You added Mendocino Farmhouse to your Saves list
43410 Olson Lane, Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
wisconsin
“A Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

We stayed at the Farmhouse in July on our honeymoon, and to this day reminisce about our stay. We were the only guests this night, and stayed in the little cabin across from the main house. Oh, the smell of cedar, and the warmth of the stove! It rained and stormed the night we were there, but this only added to the fun. The cabin was simply decorated, but very comfortable. Sadly, we had to leave for Oregon early the next morning, and missed breakfast. Margie was helpful with our departure time. What we loved most was the complete relaxation we were able to attain in the little cabin in the "woods."

• Liked — Peaceful, relaxing cabin
  • Disliked — Didn't get to try breakfast :-(
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

Stayed in the Cedar Room for the weekend and couldn't have been happier. Some really nice things about our stay:

1. The Cedar and Pine Rooms are very private--each has its own secluded outdoor sitting area (ours was visited by three deer in the morning, which was a nice surprise.)
2. The grounds are beautiful--wish we had been there longer than a weekend so as to enjoy them more.
3. Breakfast was delicious.
4. Sage (the dog) was well-behaved and provided great company.
5. Our room was exceptionally clean and comfortable.
6. We had a great big claw-foot bath tub.
7. Margie gave us great suggestions about local restaurants and graciously accomodated our late arrival.
8. We were only minutes away from shops in Mendocino, but felt like we were in the middle of a redwood forest--the peace and quiet was wonderful.

I hope very much to return.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Wouldn't change a thing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

Looking to relax and get away from it all? The Mendocino Farmhouse does exactly that. We stayed in the Cedar Room, which is one of two rooms in the converted barn: it's incredibly cozy and perfect. Like a hunting lodge, small scale. The exposed stone fireplace, the private meadow and chairs: all wonderful. We slept so well, and enjoyed the room and seclusion.

As to Margie, she is exactly the type of innkeeper we love. Most B&B's try to smother you with cuteness and fussy attention, to the point of suffocation. Margie knows you are there to relax, and lets you do just that. When she knew we'd be late getting up there, she taped a note on the front door of the Farmhouse, welcoming us. She knew we were adults and could handle the rest. Breakfast? Aside from cooking fantastic pancakes and eggs (great sausages, too!), Margie made us comfortable and left us alone...as we were delighted to do.

This is the kind of place you want to go to truly relax. Know that you'll have a wonderful place to stay, great food, a host who's 20+ years of experience is put to good use to make sure you want for nothing, and incredible grounds and redwoods to soothe the soul.

• Liked — The quiet oasis in the middle of the Redwoods. You are alone, but with great travelers.
  • Disliked — Finding it can be tough! Small dirt road off of a side road at night makes it challenging.
  • Tips/Secrets — Margie will gladly alter the breakfast to what you like, if you tell her when you book.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

We arrived at the Mendocino Farmhouse several hours later than our planned mid to late afternoon arrival due to sightseeing along the way as we drove North from San Francisco along Highway 1. When we arrived at 9pm, we felt a somewhat tepid reception. My husband and two middle school aged children stayed at the Farmhouse for two evenings before we continued on to Ferndale. The Mendocino Farmhouse is a charming home. We were also invited (by another guest) to peek into the absolutely lovely cabin set among a very well-tended and beautiful garden across from the house. Our accommodations (two rooms) were fine. We enjoyed visiting with the household cat and dogs. We saw deer and generally soaked in the majesty of the redwoods that surround the Farmhouse. As mentioned, we didn't feel a strong "welcome" vibe and definitely had a bit of a problem with the two breakfasts served: pesto scrambled eggs one morning; burnt orange pancakes the next. I don't think these items are particularly appealing to a child's palate, but then again, I don't think children (in my case, a very well behaved 11 and 13 year old) are the Mendocino Farmhouse's target audience. We didn't ask for, and weren't offered any suggestions on sightseeing in the area but were delighted to run into a fellow Farmhouse guest in Mendocino Village who told us about glass beach (which he had been told about by the innkeeper). This guest also handed us his $1 off an ice cream token also given to he and his party (all of whom were adults), (but not given to us) by the innkeeper. We are particularly grateful to this guest who provided us with an exceptional experience at glass beach. Without his input, we would never had discovered this treasure! We stayed at glass beach until sunset and collected an amazing assortment of ocean-polished glass.

• Liked — The Farmhouse is quaint, the views magnificent, the presence of resident pets a plus
  • Disliked — The food and we didn't feel particularly, genuinely welcome.
  • Tips/Secrets — I wouldn't stay here with children.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights in Elizabeth's Room at the Mendocino Farmhouse in July. It is a wonderful place: quiet, clean, tastefully decorated. Breakfasts were a treat. The dogs are beautiful and friendly. We felt very much at home. Margie was very kind and helpful. When my girlfriend and I had to travel separately on one day, Margie even lent us her mobile phone because we only had one with us. We both recommend staying at this inn.

Antigua, Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

Needing a getaway, we went to the Mendocino Farmhouse. Flowers are abundant, dogs and cat treat you like family, and Margie, the proprietor, is friendly and serves great breakfasts. The house is 30 years old and has an old world home feel with its antique furniture and hardwood floors in the main house and rooms.

For the price, however, a few things bothered us:

1) Sheets are not changed for additional night(s)
2) Dust ruffle on bed- filthy on the bottom
3) Carpet on the stairs old and dirty
4) Coffee is as good as sanka (in room)
5) Cream for the coffee was not replenished
6) No bubble bath soaps (a must for a romantic B&B!)

As a result, we'd rather pay more and stay elsewhere...

Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

We stayed at the farmhouse recently, in The Cedar Room. If you are looking for romance get one of the cabins. They are lovely with access to a perfect garden. We loved the whole vibe including the dogs and cats. We especially fell in love with Bunny, the country kitty. We felt very cozy and happy in our little cabin and loved the claw foot tub. Everything felt updated and not worn out even in the midst of country living. My compliants would be the lack of ducks and the murky pond. We also felt the Margie, the owner seemed a little distant and not very open to us and that troubled us a bit since we really wanted to connect. I've read about Bessie the inn keeper on these postings and i don't believe she was present for our trip. Food was pretty good but the second day my pancakes where burnt and the cream for the coffee seemes to curdle a bit. But now I'm just nit-picking...This a beautuiful spot for a low-key get away. We actually really loved the location and the cabin and the cat!

• Stayed July 2006
kitchencook, Margie owner/innkeeper at Mendocino Farmhouse, responded to this review, August 3, 2006
Wow! I'm kind of stunned at this review. For the most part it was very complimentary and that makes me happy. As far as my interaction with my guests, I try to 'connect' with everyone, but I must have missed it with this couple and I apologize for their disappointment.
As to the pancakes; " I certainly never intended to cook my Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes too long - they are so good and so popular. (I guess now that I'm a new Grandma I need to start wearing my glasses in the kitchen! ) Bunny and I hope to have the pleasure of serving this couple again."

Been to Mendocino Farmhouse? Share your experiences!