“Quiet and secluded, but..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mendocino Farmhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Mendocino Farmhouse
43410 Olson Lane, Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #13 of 24 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Antigua, Guatemala
“Quiet and secluded, but..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

Needing a getaway, we went to the Mendocino Farmhouse. Flowers are abundant, dogs and cat treat you like family, and Margie, the proprietor, is friendly and serves great breakfasts. The house is 30 years old and has an old world home feel with its antique furniture and hardwood floors in the main house and rooms.

For the price, however, a few things bothered us:

1) Sheets are not changed for additional night(s)
2) Dust ruffle on bed- filthy on the bottom
3) Carpet on the stairs old and dirty
4) Coffee is as good as sanka (in room)
5) Cream for the coffee was not replenished
6) No bubble bath soaps (a must for a romantic B&B!)

As a result, we'd rather pay more and stay elsewhere...

Stayed June 2006

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

We stayed at the farmhouse recently, in The Cedar Room. If you are looking for romance get one of the cabins. They are lovely with access to a perfect garden. We loved the whole vibe including the dogs and cats. We especially fell in love with Bunny, the country kitty. We felt very cozy and happy in our little cabin and loved the claw foot tub. Everything felt updated and not worn out even in the midst of country living. My compliants would be the lack of ducks and the murky pond. We also felt the Margie, the owner seemed a little distant and not very open to us and that troubled us a bit since we really wanted to connect. I've read about Bessie the inn keeper on these postings and i don't believe she was present for our trip. Food was pretty good but the second day my pancakes where burnt and the cream for the coffee seemes to curdle a bit. But now I'm just nit-picking...This a beautuiful spot for a low-key get away. We actually really loved the location and the cabin and the cat!

• Stayed July 2006
kitchencook, Margie owner/innkeeper at Mendocino Farmhouse, responded to this review, August 3, 2006
Wow! I'm kind of stunned at this review. For the most part it was very complimentary and that makes me happy. As far as my interaction with my guests, I try to 'connect' with everyone, but I must have missed it with this couple and I apologize for their disappointment.
As to the pancakes; " I certainly never intended to cook my Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes too long - they are so good and so popular. (I guess now that I'm a new Grandma I need to start wearing my glasses in the kitchen! ) Bunny and I hope to have the pleasure of serving this couple again."

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Took the lady to this B&B this weekend after reading the reviews on this site, so I had high expectations. I'd also spent much of the past few weeks (for work) at a Ritz-Carlton and two Four Seasons locations, with those experiences fresh in my mind. I wouldn't compare those hotels to this B&B, since those were for business travel, and here I was seeking something pretty, charming, relaxing, and romantic. The Mendocino Farmhouse met my high expectations and was probably the best romantic weekend I've had in my time in California. I'm happy with my decision to stay there.

Its in the middle of the woods about a mile and a half from town, on a good-size property, lots of privacy, a few acres of cleared garden surrounded by redwoods. There were a couple times that several deer visited the lawn. The dogs and cats were cute and playful, and we could hear the frogs at night from our room (Jim's). The room was very clean and the pre-built kindling in the fireplace was a nice touch. Though you could hear sometimes when people were walking around the house, sound wasn't an issue since the rooms upstairs dont border directly, and we didn't hear anyone else in their rooms nor did we feel like we lacked privacy. Only six rooms total, so very personal experience.

Overall, its romantic but not lavish or wasteful, and the price reflects this. I'd come back here and recommend it to my colleagues as well. If you only stay at the Four Seasons, you may crave amenities that this (or any) B&B does not have, but for us this was not at all an issue. The lady was quite happy that the cell phone and blackberry didn't get coverage.

As far as local advice goes, avoid the Chevron in Mendocino, which doesn't clearly post its prices except right on the pump so they try to get you for 60 cents/gallon more than the market rate. We filled up in Ft. Bragg on our way back from a sunset picnic on the beach right next to hwy 1 about 5-10 minutes north of Ft. Bragg. Also enjoyed visiting the North Coast Brewing Company restaurant up there, lots of tasty brews. We also had a great dinner at 955 Ukiah in Mendocino. Shannon, our waitress, was great and very tolerant of our tourist ignorance. Try the wilted greens salad, and its actually big enough to share. Good selection of local wines and beers too.

In summary, if you're looking for a romantic weekend, the Mendocino Farmhouse fits the bill very nicely. I recommend it strongly.

• Stayed May 2006
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend at the Mendocino Farmhouse. We loved it.

Margie and Bess were warm and friendly, the breakfasts were excellent, and we felt very welcome. The cat (Bunny) and dog (Sage), who were part of the welcoming committee, were just great. We enjoyed their company too!

Margie gave us excellent recommendations for dining in both Mendocino and Fort Bragg.

I've already booked a room for my birthday weekend next year!

• Stayed March 2006
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

We are frequent travelers to the North Coast and we stayed at the Mendocino Farmhouse on our recent 4-day trip to Mendocino. This little B&B is just off of Comptche-Ukiah road, somewhat hidden in the redwoods, but still less than 2 miles away from town. It gives an immediate feel of a warm and well-kept home and innkeepers hospitality certainly adds a lot to the overall experience. We spent three nights in John’s room and were particularly happy with an invitingly comfortable bed (and a dozen or so pillows), wood-burning fireplace and numerous books. A small additional bed just below the window is an amazing spot for afternoon lounging. A complimentary breakfast was served in a lovely living room and while we were being surprised with a new meal each morning, the staff would take care of our room and perform regular upkeep. Great!
We will certainly come back!

• Stayed November 2005
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2005

We were delighted from the moment we arrived - even during winter the grounds were beautiful, and we were happy to cozy up to our private fireplace every night, which had pre-set logs awaiting us on our return. The "Pine" room in the barn house was charming and we felt at home during our whole four day stay. We loved having a small table near the fireplace in our room where we had hot chocolate in the mornings, and wine in the evenings. The bed was even better than our bed at home! ;)

Breakfast each morning was out of this world - we hope Margie puts out a cookbook, but it would be difficult to re-create the cozy, quaint atmoshpere in her family room.

We got to know Margie over the course of our stay and found her to be incredibly down to earth and welcoming; it's obvious she loves what she does and the people she hosts.

We plan to make Mendocino a traditional getaway and will always stay at the Farmhouse!

This weekend and our stay with Margie were very special parts of our engagement weekend and we can't imagine having spent it at a more perfect place.

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2005

We went there for our 2 year anniversary and had a wonderful time. The inn keeper was very pleasant and we were greeted with a great breakfast every morning. The grounds were very nice and the pets friendly. It was very quiet at night and the view of the stars astounding (we live in a city).

Our stay was in the cedar room and it was very comfortable and cozy. We really enjoyed having a fireplace and spending some quiet time snuggling on the bed.

We look forward to a return visit in the future!

• Stayed May 2003

Been to Mendocino Farmhouse? Share your experiences!