“Nice but unwelcoming” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mendocino Farmhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Mendocino Farmhouse
You added Mendocino Farmhouse to your Saves list
43410 Olson Lane, Mendocino, CA 95460   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Tempe, Arizona
“Nice but unwelcoming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

My wife and I purchased a Living Social offer for the Mendocino Farmhouse which was a nice but somewhat unwelcoming place. I thought the room was generally nice - specifically that it seemed "lived in" - lots of books and knick knacks around our room which was a nice detail. But, our bathroom was detached from our bedroom, which is something we haven't seen on the rest of our trip, and kind of made our honeymoon a little awkward.

The innkeeper seemed like she resented that we were there - maybe it was just because we were there for only one night (that was the Living Social deal, and we had to make our way to another inn for the next day), which just kind of put a downer on the experience. That said, she did provide us with an excellent picnic lunch (which was part of the Living Social promotion).

It seems like there's a lot of competition in Mendocino proper, and this location is very out of the way. If you want quiet, you'll definitely get it here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
kitchencook, Owner at Mendocino Farmhouse, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
I'm happy that so many new people are discovering the Mendocino Farmhouse through my deal on LivingSocial. Many of them have chosen to add a second and third night at my regular rate which is always been an option. I also have offered a second night at the same price to many at the same rate during the week.
When guests call and book my largest room upstairs I always tell them that the bath is across from their room but private to them. After all these years it is a given that I inform people of that since that is important to some.
I have been most grateful for all the new people who have discovered the Farmhouse through this site and look forward to meeting more.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Escondido, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed two days at the Mendocino Farmhouse and had a wonderful time. We stayed in John's room which is quite spacious and has a lovely fireplace. The king bed was very comfortable and we slept great. The farmhouse is in a beautiful setting in the middle of the forest with a pond and grassy area where we saw deer grazing. Margie, our hostess, was very nice and the breakfasts she prepared for us were delicious. Each morning we ate our breakfast in her small sunroom which overlooks the front of the property. If you're looking for a quiet, peaceful bed and breakfast without TV (we played games and read) in a really beautiful setting then I know your will like this place. The B & B is just a few minutes drive to the lovely and quaint town of Mendocino which has not only a gorgeous coastline, but museums and galleries and beautiful old homes, and where we found out that "Murder She Wrote" and many other movies were filmed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights at the Mendocino Farmhouse. We had a lovely experience! The property is tucked away in a quiet woodsy atmosphere, just outside of town. It is peaceful and well kept. The Innkeeper, Margie, was very accommodating and helpful. She suggested a few nice restaurants in the area and an array of activities for us to do during the day. We went on a lovely hike in the Russian River State Park and took a bike ride down by the Cabrillo Lighthouse.

Our room was very cozy and clean! The towels, coffee, tea and fire-log where replaced each day. Breakfast was delicious and served as soon as we stepped into the dining room. The bed was comfortable, and the room was well decorated. Overall we were very impressed and would return again!

Thanks Margie

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed at the Mendocino Farmhouse bed and breakfast in 2009. The farmhouse is a lovely, historic farmhouse in a beautiful setting. Although it is close to the town of Mendocino, it is located in a secluded, quiet setting. Our room was a large room with a private bath across the hall. We stayed four days and were the only guests during our entire stay. The hostess, Margie Kamp, was initially polite, but she was not very helpful when we asked about suggestions for dinner and activities. In addition, she was not really available when we had questions. We felt as if we were staying in the home alone. The breakfast was merely scrambled eggs and toast--one of the reasons we stay at bed and breakfast inns is for gourmet breakfasts and to meet other people. There was neither here. As our stay progressed, Margie became more and more short with us, until finally we didn't want to ask her anything. At one point our toilet backed up. My husband went downstairs to tell her and she snapped that she was on the phone. His response was "Fine. It's your house." Our last day we had to get an early start and were not even disappointed that we should not be there for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
kitchencook, Owner at Mendocino Farmhouse, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
After much thought and general mulling over the last Trip Advisor review and because it’s been so long I looked at my guest book for December of 2009 when this reviewer stayed to get some insight and I’m afraid it’s been to long for me to comment on this specific complaint. However, I want any reviewer to know that I serve a different and varied breakfast every day. It is very quiet here during the slow time of the year in December. I am always here to serve breakfast and talk to my guests and answer questions and give them dinner recommendations and info about places to go and see.
I would not expect a guest to unplug a toilet. That is my job, and I do.
Over the past 26 years I have had many happy guests who love my place and they return every year.
All of this said, I have only good intentions and try my best.

Innkeeper at Mendocino Farmhouse
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

You are staying virtually in a private home which the owner, Margie, is rightly very proud of. It is no way a "traditional inn". Nor is the owner a typical innkeeper. She is not effusive or familiar and maybe that has made her seem rather cold towards some guests. We wanted ambience, quiet, cleanliness and comfort. and that is what we got....in plenty!
The area has some excellent gourmet restaurants just a few minutes drive away.
We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hayward, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The husband and I went for a quick overnight trip up to Mendo for our anniversary. We loved this place and will come back again! Nice and quiet, pretty and the staff was very friendly! We were able to book one night instead of the mandatory two which was wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

If you're looking for sanctuary from the demands and pressures of work and everyday living, the Mendocino Farmhouse is it! The pictures on the web look great and inviting but it was so much better than expected. Sequestered only 1 1/2 miles from the shoreline, away from the constant battering of the wind, this jewel is hidden in a redwood forest adorned with wildflower and rose gardens. It was so beautifully decorated inside and out. I could have spent a couple of days just reading a book out in the beautiful meadow. Plenty to eat at breakfast; we only needed dinner. Margie Kamb, the proprietor was very accomodating and everything she recommended to us from Libby's restaurant in Philo to Montgomery Woods (virgin redwood forest) was a hit and just the ticket for us. I'd go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mendocino Farmhouse? Share your experiences!