“Constructive Criticism” 3 of 5 stars
Review of McCloud River Lodge

McCloud River Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCloud
McCloud River Lodge
You added McCloud River Lodge to your Saves list
140 Squaw Valley Rd, McCloud, CA 96057   |
Red Bluff
“Constructive Criticism”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Do not usually write reviews but am hoping that the management of this establishment reads this and takes it as intended, as constructive criticism.
My husband and I spent the weekend at the lodge while attending a function held in the area. We found the staff wonderful, the grounds pleasant and well tended and the restaurant , while pricey, convient. They were also very pet friendly. The room was also nicely done with furnishings that made you feel as if you were staying at a lodge, and not a run of the meal motel room.
Now for the constructive criticism, while the bed was clean and the room at first site appeared clean, it was desperately in need of more than superficial cleaning. Baseboards were filthy as was the coffee pot. Dust covered the books (bible) on the night stands and cover of ice bucket, which also had old water left in it from a previous lodger. Spider webs were also behind the bathroom door and cover of air conditioner cruddy.
With a little tender loving care, this would be a wonderful lodge. All it needs is a little attention to detail.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Clovis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't planning to write a review about The Lodge in McCloud but at the request of the Management, I will.
  My wife and I had dinner. I ordered the Lasagna dinner and my wife ordered a Rueben sandwich and a house salad. The waitress told us both dishes were in her words, "Amazing!".  They were far less than that. My lasagna was soggy and heated unevenly (hot center, cold edges). Obviously microwaved and not freshly made. We were by the way the first customers of the day for dinner. My garlic bread that came with my meal was good and my dinner salad before the meal was satisfactory. My wife's meal was also lack luster. Her Rueben was no more than 1/2" thick with one layer of pastrami and the majority sauerkraut. Her salad was also satisfactory. We were less than impressed but upon seeing the German chocolate cake, we decide to share a slice as we were told it was fresh daily from an outside party. Wrong again! The cake was not fresh. It had been refrigerated and was cold with cold, hard stale tasting frosting. It was as bland and tasteless as the "meal" we had just finished. The best part of the meal was the complimentary bread basket which WAS fresh, soft and very delicious. Overall, the meal was unimpressive and at nearly $50 for the both of us, overpriced to say the least. We had a better lunch the next day from a tent food vendor at a festival we attended at a third the price.
  So there is the review I was asked to write. I hope you like it. Save your money and don't go to this restaurant!

• Stayed July 2012
Albany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We arrived on a Tuesday evening when the Restaurant/bar/office was closed and had to knock for help. The kitchen did cook up some burgers for evening meal in our room. There was no soap in the bath and shower gel dispenser was empty. The in room refrigerator was unplugged and leaking water on the floor. Half bottle of wine and a few bottles of water from previous guests left in fridge. Bath linens not renewed for second night. I normally expect more professional service for $114/da

Room Tip: I can't recommend this one.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the McCloud River Lodge in late February 2012 with a Living Social deal for two nights. We were arriving late and when we called to make sure someone would be available for check in the owner was delightful and promised he'd be up. Upon check in at the lodge we were greeted warmly, given our complimentary bottle of wine and given directions to our room, complete with jacuzzi tub. The room was very clean and tidy, wood furniture completed the lodge decor and the jacuzzi tub was great. The fireplace kept the room warm and toasty and the fresh mountain air was a joy.

The two complaints we had were the ceiling fan above the bed was covered in dust, odd since the rest of the room was spotless, and that the bed was visibly sagging in the middle. My husband and I sat on the mattress and were disappointed with the firmness and how uncomfortable it was. The second night we flipped the mattress hoping it would help with the comfort and sagging but it did not.

We quite enjoyed the room, the people, and the town but the bed was uncomfortable and unless it's replaced we would have to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi room's are worth the extra charge, they are a nice treat.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Connie and her staff will go out of their way to make your stay a memorable one. It is not a 5star hotel so do not expect that. But you will get a lot for the price you payed. My wife and I enjoy our stayed. Romantic if you stay in the room with a jakuzi and fire place. The food is worth the stay. The best food in Shasta Area

Room Tip: Take the room with Jakuzi and fireplace
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Yuba City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We ended up in McCloud after a day of traveling and a local suggested this lodge.
We had a lovely stay in one of their quaint, clean, well appointed rooms and a delicious dinner out on the lawn with Mt. Shasta in view.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Suisun City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I go McCloud twice a year for fishing. We have stayed at the Lodge a few times under the previous owners who where great and now with Connie & Brian. They have done some painting which made the room fell clean and fresh. We enjoyed your first night at the bar with Connie it was her birthday so we helped her celebrate. Connie and Brian are so nice they do make you feel like old friends. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a home away from home. We will be back soon

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to McCloud River Lodge? Share your experiences!