“What a great discovery!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nick's Cove Restaurant

Nick's Cove Restaurant
23240 Highway 1, Nick's Cove Restaurant, Oyster Bar, Cottages, Marshall, CA 94940
415-663-1033
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nick's Cove Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tomales-Petaluma Road
Description: Nick's Cove, an historic restaurant located on the gorgeous shores of Tomales Bay, offers local, fresh and sustainable food that is tasteful and simply prepared. Our wine list also features treasures from local wine-makers as well as wines both organic and conventional from New Zealand, France and Spain. For complete menu details and wine selections consult our website at www.nickscove.com. Don't forget to take a peek at our 12 beautifully restored cottages! We accept OpenTable dollars in the hotel as well as the restaurant.
San Francisco Bay Area
“What a great discovery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We found Nick's Cove after checking out a few other choices in the area and decided to eat there because we liked the vibe. Am I glad we did! From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel like old friends. And the food was delicious! Freshness and presentation are first rate! And, no matter where you sit, there's a glorious view of Tomales Bay. The decor is nice without being too funky or too precious. Will definitely be back again next time I go to west Marin!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

SF Bay Area
“Best Seafood on Marin Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I'm a local from Marin County. When I get hungry for BBQ oysters and a water view, I head to Nick's Cove. I have eaten here at least 10 times and have never been disappointed. This time (MLK's Birthday) I arrived at 2 PM and after warming myself by the fireplace, got a seat right next to the water. I ordered a draft Lagunitas Pilsner and a half dozen BBQ oysters - 3 with BBQ sauce and 3 with garlic butter. Both were excellent, but recommend a dash or two of Tobasco on the BBQ sauce. Oysters come with arulaga with a touch of olive oil and salt. I have now become a big fan of this green with oysters and ate every bit.

I had a hard time deciding on an entree, finally ordering crab benedict. It was yummy and also came with arulaga, a better low calorie choice than the usual potatoes. When that was done, I had a hankering for more oysters. So I tried the appetizer fried oysters. They were outstanding! The oysters were flattened and perfectly breaded and cooked to perfection. They came with aioli and a side of arulaga. You would think by now I would be tired of arulaga, but no. I finished every bit and these tasty greens are perfect with oysters. I drizzled mine with the wedges of lemon and lime that came with the oysters. The service was great and I went home with a happy smile.

In past visits, I or my friends have had the clam chowder (a huge bowl with lots of tasty clams and BACON), grilled salmon and halibut, and great burgers.

Visitors to Marin should check out the movie "Bandits" that included scenes shot in the cottages and restaurant of Nick's Cove in 2001, before the recent remodeling. It has a lot of other scenes shot in Marin and Oregon and stars Billy Bob Thorton, Bruce Willis, and Cate Blanchett.

I am happy that nothing has changed since the place has changed hands. I love it here!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great Room, Beautiful Views, Improved Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Under new ownership and they know what they are doing. Room is decorated to the 9's in 1920's Seaside decor. Roaring fire makes entire room cozy. Great Bar with superb selections. Place is very clean. Service is competent and unobtrusive. Arrived at 6 on Saturday night and shown to table immediately. Place was packed with fun crowd. Served perfectly made martini and later a manhattan. Impressive reasonably priced wine list. Very good locally sourced ingredients. Fresh oysters were perfection, calamari fritto misto tender and flavor-packed, and the shrimp Louie salad was superb. Will definitely go back.
TIP: request the main dining room

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“How could one not like Nick's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I visited the area for the first time and just stopped by to watch the 49ers playoff game. We ended up staying for drinks, appetizers and dinner. The views, service and food were all excellent. The 49ers won the game, and Nick's won us over for a return visit the next night as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Rosa
“Too expensive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I liked the fact this place is on the bay, great view. We had to wait quite awhile to order and our food was not hot, just warm. I didn't care for the staffs attitude and parking was terrible. Wouldn't go back. Not worth the drive.