“Unexpected excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Mariposa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Californian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Unexpected excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We chose this because it looked
Ok and was just over the road from our motel. The staff are very friendly, the service was good. I had their beef and barley soup, lemon chicken and apple pie, I sampled my wife's fried chicken and my daughter's pasta. It seems no matter what you order, you'll be impressed. I even liked the music they were playing. It's a proper restaurant, not a fast food place, so prices reflect this, but well worth paying for.

Visited January 2014

Midpines, California
“Very Slow service, very good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were greeted and seated promptly upon arrival, then we waited and waited finally water was delivered, then we waited 30 minutes to put our order in, then we waited and waited, finally our soup and salad, then we waited and waited, finally our food, the food was excellent, I had the stuffed rolled pork, it was stuffed with blue cheese, cranberries and walnuts, very tasty. Then we waited for our check. My disappointment was a lack of communication why service was slow and employees standing visiting with other diners and not trying to help speed up service.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Turlock, California
“Wow. Everything we ate was superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a quaint little restaurant with rustic charm and we had read from reviews on this site that the food was excellent but I realize everyone has different standards and ideas of what is excellent so we went for my birthday dinner hoping for a relatively nice time with satisfactory food but assuming the reviews had exaggerated. They had not. I kept having to remind myself I was in mariposa California. Between the 5 of us we have been to just about every country in the world and all agreed this was one of the best meals we had ever eaten. Everything that came to the table was excellent. Over and above. Great taste, fresh, everything was tender, I cut my filet with my fork, large servings, high quality food, amazing. We enjoyed attentive friendly service and really were overwhelmed by this little gem. This is a wonderful place to eat. We were so pleasantly surprised. This is a place we will make a point of coming back to

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tralee
“Homely friendly diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Going to Yosemite, we stopped in the small town of Mariposa,to eat at Charles St.dinner house.The exterior of this older building, is somewhat off-putting, but the reception within dispels any reservations you may initially have had.
The interior looks as if it is unchanged from early twentieth century,which gives the restaurant a compact/homely feel.The waitresses advance the feeling, their approach and hospitality making one feel like 'old' customers.
The food (prepared by chef/proprietor) is excellent-we had onion soup/prawns;steak/rack of lamb,all given thumbs-up.The iced Goblets- with our beer-,were unusual yet memorable.
Lamb, seemed the most expensive Main Course in USA;why?
We left the Dinner House,very happy to have experienced their food,and its unique setting(and its friendly staff)

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mariposa, California
“AMAZING FOOD!! Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Chef owned restaurant! The best house salad dressing ever! Burger and ribs we to die for! Great service, nice atmosphere, highly recommend it!

Visited November 2013