“A gem in the Sierra foothills” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mariposa
Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast
You added Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
5218 Crystal Aire Drive, Mariposa, CA 95338   |
Ranked #5 of 21 Mariposa B&B and Inns
Marina del Rey, California, United States
“A gem in the Sierra foothills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I couldn't have asked for a nicer start to our eight day motorcycle tour of Calif. than to spend our first night at Poppy Hill. Although we were happy but tired when we arrived in the early evening, the charm of the house, the beauty of the setting and the warmth of our host Amy revived us. After a leisurely glass of wine in the garden, I ran down to Mariposa to bring back dinner. I would have been content to eat from the take-out containers, but Amy had set a beautiful table (china, cloth napkins), for us on the second floor balcony! Everything was just fantastic - the Poppy Room, the bed, the breakfast. Would definitely return and spend an additional night or two.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Waterville, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Over the years I've stayed in a lot of B&Bs, and I can honestly say that the combination of setting, accommodations, food, and hospitality at Poppy Hill are at the top of my list. The property is visually appealing and well maintained in a quiet setting. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The breakfasts were delicious and featured something different each morning. The hosts and other guests were enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Traveling solo and hate being isolated in a sterile (or not) hotel? Have a quiet, peaceful night's sleep. Try this proper all-American B & B that makes you feel like a welcome guest. The cozy home and peaceful flower gardens are eye candy. I saw deer and numerous birds. The home is tastefully decorated and furnished with antiques throughout. There are helpful vacation books in the living room. The Iris room 2nd floor was available when I stayed (5 days, 4 nights). It had a connecting door to the upstairs patio that allowed cool air to come into the room. The bed can be a little squeaky. The private bathroom has a shower, no tub. no T.V., central A.C. available but won't be used in lieu of room fans. Outdoor seating areas are quaint and restful.
Mary Ellen is the long-time owner/operator and is a very hospitable, charming, precious, and sweet-reminds me of my elderly auntie. Mornings others make and serve breakfast either 8 or 9 a.m. and it is satisfactory. My style of eats. I had yogurt, granola, a variety of fruit, tea, juices, coffee, or a light, hot breakfast with eggs picante, egg souffle, croissant french toast.
Evenings when I arrived from 10-11 p.m. not only was the house delicately lit up like Christmas inside and out, but light refreshments were presented on the table with wine, and my fav-hot water for my tea.
Poppy Hill B&B is affordable, romantic, and located in a very nice, rural location 5 miles from Mariposa (tourist town) and about an hour outside of Yosemite via 41 through Oakhurst, a proper town w/ Starbucks. Take Rt. 41 to Yosemite or Fresno Airport. FYI remember to always gas up, pick up a foam cooler, and fill it for everywhere you go. Along the way to Yosemite on 41 visit the awesome Railroad train ride attraction, smell the forest trees, and enter the Yosemite entrance to see the Sequoia trees right off or drive up, up, up to Glacier Point. Next take 41 to Tioga Road to visit Olmsted Point, a viewing area off of the Tioga Road which, like Glacier Point, offers a spectacular view into Yosemite Valley. Keep going 5 minutes more to beautiful Lake Tenaya for a picnic and swim. Next time out, head for Yosemite valley for Degnan's pizza and a walk in the meadows. Don't miss Tunnel View or the 3 Falls. .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Burnaby, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We only had one day to spend in Yosemite, and were grateful to have found this nearby B&B on Trip-Advisor where we stopped for the night before touring the park the following day.
Amy welcomed us wholeheartedly, explained the many amenities, and introduced us to fellow guests from Taiwan whom we really enjoyed getting to know while enjoying the wine, cheese, crackers and fruit graciously provided. I loved the local red wine and wish I had jotted down the name. (Amy-help?)
The Poppy Room was delightful, and furnishings were cozy. Just outside in the upstairs common area was a nice small fridge with freezer to store our food we had brought along. It was stocked with water and juice for guests as well.
We truly loved the breakfast which Darlene prepared. It tasted even better when eaten outdoors on a large table on the deck overlloking a meadow and pines. I appreciate places that serve REAL maple syrup with their offerings such as their yummy french toast; the juice and fruit were also delicious and fresh. Besides our fellow guests, we also enjoyed the company of a couple of hummingbirds who seemed to check on us almost as often as Darlene did.

As others have mentioned, Amy, Darlene and Mary Ellen all truly go out of their way to share their friendly hospitality. We enjoyed good food, were given great information and met delightful new people anwhile having many warm-heartened laughs during our short stay. I was actually sad that we had only booked one night, and if we return to the park we most definitely will stay at Poppy Hill B&B again !!!
Thanks so MUCH to all three of you, and TripAdvisor too!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed there for three nights in July 2012 and had a wonderful time. The inn was in a quiet residential neighborhood, a bit hard to find at night but beautiful and peaceful. The owner lady was so generous and the staffs were very helpful, with many books about Yosemite and the area. It's a family run place, that you can enjoy learning about the place and the people.
We saw many wild birds and animals in their yard, while enjoying their outside jet bath and/or having evening drinks on the porches. Each room has its own character and charm.
The breakfasts were plenty and starting at 8 am (or you can ask for a brown bag before that) with great tableware and cutlery set. Every furniture was a real antique, arranged for comfort.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning to go there and definitely stay again if I have a chance.

Room Tip: If you can choose, the second floor rooms may be better for the privacy and the view. The second flo...