“The Good, Bad and the FREEZING” 3 of 5 stars

Booking.com Priceline.com
Bear Creek Cabins
6993 Hwy 140, Mariposa, CA 95338   |
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The Good, Bad and the FREEZING”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good:
*Louann (the owner) was a very kind lady and nice to deal with.
*The deluxe room was really nice for a cabin, roomy and clean
*It was a heck of a lot cheaper than Yosemite (about 40miles away)
*Very authentic
*Louann was kind enough to let my daughter's boyfriend call his mother from her house, since the rooms had no phones in them. So kind of her to understand a mother's worrying and to help him out on a personal level like that. I really appreciated that.

Bad:
*This might be the "city" in me, but there's NO cell phone reception - we are taking zero bars aka NO SERVICE
*There are no land line phones in the cabins
*The furnace was okay the first hour we were there. But then suddenly, it let off a very bad rotten type smell (propane fireplace) and the room became smokey. Louann was kind enough to come in and check on it twice and finally turned it off. She suggested it was the neighbor's cooking lamb, but it wasn't - I know what gas smells like. I'm positive I am right, especially because it went away when it was turned off.
*Well, we live in Hawaii where it is 80 degrees all the time and I didn't want to breathe in that horrible smell all night and not wake up, because it was gas - you know? That can't possibly be safe or good for children to inhale, right? And I couldn't even Google the safety of it, because our phones didn't work. So we slept all night bundled up together FREEZING, literally I felt like I was freezing. It couldn't have been more than 20 degrees, with log walls and all the breeze outside, it felt like we were going to die. Made it a terrible experience. At about 5 am, my kids faces were super cold, so I turned the fireplace back on. It let off this really loud "BOOM" that made me jump out of my pants almost ya know? Like it didn't start right away like it should have. And the smell came back full throttle, super yucky. So I packed up the kids and left. Definitely something needs to be done about that fireplace. My lungs hurt the next day and it just cannot possibly be safe.

Room Tip: Slept in the Deluxe Cabin, great cabin if they can get the propane fireplace fixed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family of four plus 2 dogs just stayed the weekend here and had an enjoyable time. This is a budget stay near Yosemite, not a 5 star hotel. I would compare this to a Motel 6. We had no problems finding it with our gps. The short turn off to get to the cabins isn't scary just looks like people living there in not so good of accommodations. Lou Ann left us the key in our cabin (#2) which is actually one room in a large log house that consist of 4 "cabins". Our room was a nice size with a very small kitchen area and a small bathroom. It fit our needs perfectly especially since we were traveling with our Aussie and Schnauzer and were planning on hiking and being outside most of the time anyway. The room was clean enough for me. The carpet looked okay but I NEVER walk on carpet in hotels barefooted anyway. One of the comforters had a stain on it and there were several spiderwebs behind the nightstand (I knocked something off behind it and had to fetch it). The bathroom was clean and had plenty of towels. I was expecting to pay a pet fee but no pet fee was necessary we just had to remove the vacuum from the front porch and vacuum before we left since we had pets. That was a little confusing because wouldn't the room get vacuumed anyway after we left? The heating system they have didn't work and the rooms had a new looking space heater. It kept us toasty warm and the temps at night were in the low 30's. Also, the Bug hostel right up the road has a good restaurant with meat, vegetarian and children's meals, as well as wine and beer. We were wanting to go to the Mariposa sequoia trail in Yosemite and it took about an hour to drive there to the trail-head. If you want to go to the valley floor you would go the opposite direction and that took about 45 minutes.

Room Tip: Cabins 1-4 are really hotel rooms in one long log cabin.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

A paradise in Yosemite area! it is in the middle of the mountain, very quiet and very well equiped. The attention of the owner is excellent. We stayed there 2 nights and was awesome. Though it is not inside the park (have to travel 30 min, by car) it is a great place to stay!! We went June 2011

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Bear Creek Cabins is probably one of the nicest places I know.
It's a paradise in Yosemite. Close to nature and its sounds. If you're lucky you will see a deer or two just outside the cabin door.No mosquitos as far as I could see.
Cabins are big, clean and well equipped.
If you're stressed and need to wind down, this is the place.
Mariposa is only 7 miles away and Yosemite village 35 miles.
Thanks Louann and James for a great stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is true that when you first get here, you might feel suspicious of the neighborhood where the cabins are located, but so what? We stayed here for two nights, and nothing weird or scary happened at all! We loved our room! The lady who runs the place is a very nice lady as some reviewers already mentioned. Believe me, once the lady shows up, all of your weird feelings about the place would disappear! The room is very comfortable for us. Very spacious and even has a wide screen flat TV with some decent channels! You can even cook in the room. You will find some cooking utensils, plates, bows, forks, spoons, knives, etc in the room!! Stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This place is fabulous! The location is hard to find at night though, and the gps will not work that high up in the mountains. It took us awhile to find it, but once we did the owner came out and she was super nice. It was nice she still came out to greet us although it was around midnight. The room was so clean and the bathroom was a normal size. We said we wished we could have stayed in this cabin for the rest of our trip. She gave us directions to where we were going in the morning. Stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with friends (4 people total) for 4 days last summer and it was fantastic. A lot of the reviews talked about the slummy road on the way up to the main cabin but we didn't mind it. There's no drug deals going on outside or anything like that. It's perfectly safe and peaceful. The owner was super friendly, funny, and made us feel really welcome. The room itself was enough space for 4, (we had cabin number 3) and we loed having breakfast outside and meeting our neighbors around. If you want a camp-like experience without staying in a tent, this place is your best bet. We enjoyed it so much that we are coming back again this year.

Stayed July 2011

Been to Bear Creek Cabins? Share your experiences!