“Charming in a David Lynch kind of way! We loved it!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Bear Creek Cabins to your Saves list
Bear Creek Cabins
6993 Hwy 140, Mariposa, CA 95338   |
Reno, Nevada
“Charming in a David Lynch kind of way! We loved it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is true that when you first get here, you might feel suspicious of the neighborhood where the cabins are located, but so what? We stayed here for two nights, and nothing weird or scary happened at all! We loved our room! The lady who runs the place is a very nice lady as some reviewers already mentioned. Believe me, once the lady shows up, all of your weird feelings about the place would disappear! The room is very comfortable for us. Very spacious and even has a wide screen flat TV with some decent channels! You can even cook in the room. You will find some cooking utensils, plates, bows, forks, spoons, knives, etc in the room!! Stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ocean City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This place is fabulous! The location is hard to find at night though, and the gps will not work that high up in the mountains. It took us awhile to find it, but once we did the owner came out and she was super nice. It was nice she still came out to greet us although it was around midnight. The room was so clean and the bathroom was a normal size. We said we wished we could have stayed in this cabin for the rest of our trip. She gave us directions to where we were going in the morning. Stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with friends (4 people total) for 4 days last summer and it was fantastic. A lot of the reviews talked about the slummy road on the way up to the main cabin but we didn't mind it. There's no drug deals going on outside or anything like that. It's perfectly safe and peaceful. The owner was super friendly, funny, and made us feel really welcome. The room itself was enough space for 4, (we had cabin number 3) and we loed having breakfast outside and meeting our neighbors around. If you want a camp-like experience without staying in a tent, this place is your best bet. We enjoyed it so much that we are coming back again this year.

Stayed July 2011
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Bear Creek cabins at a very reasonable rate ($120/night) in August of 2011. We were in the cabin suite: unit #4 in the main cabin, the end unit. The room was HUGE, with a bedroom upstairs and a queen bed downstairs next to a large living room w/ breakfast area. The bathroom was downstairs - with a tub! It was charming and rustic and the hostess, Lou Ann was very helpful and courteous. There were cooking supplies, dishes & utensils and a full size refrigerator, stove & microwave. The wild blackberries were ripe on the bushes next to our cabin so we had fresh blackberries with our granola on the front porch every morning! We couldn't have loved it more.

We had a new flat-screen TV with, I think, DirecTV although we didn't turn it on while we were there. We also had a fireplace.

Although our unit is called a cabin, it is attached to three other units in one building sharing a deep front porch. Unit #4 is at the far end and we walked past the other three units to get to ours. Having the end unit meant it was the most quiet with only one shared wall and no one walking past our door.

As other people mentioned, you have to drive past some slightly trash places to get here. If that bothers you - DON'T STAY HERE!!!! Also, don't write a bad review because of that - would you want people reviewing your house based on your trashy neighbor down the street?

Anyway, this is not a Hyatt or Comfort Suites/ Ramada so it won't be at that level of cleanliness. If you're expecting that type of room - again, DON'T STAY HERE!!!! The cabins, however, will be infinitely cleaner and cheaper than most of the Yosemite park accommodations. The downside is that the drive is close to 1 hour to get to the park.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in Yosemite National Park and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, this cabin is for you. Situated around 25 miles from the park (45 mins or so depending on traffic), this cabin offers a cheap alternative to the ridiculous amount other cabins charge. The place itself is tucked inside (and very hard to find at night) a compound off the main highway. I agree with the other reviewer about the junk/slum looking cabins on the way to the main cabin itself. But if you get past that, what you'll find is a the main cabin structure, divided into 4 separate cabins (the last one is MUCH bigger than the other 3) sharing a front porch. In front you will see a big grassy area, where the kids can play. The first 2 cabins have 2 beds each and a kitchenette. Each cabin also has a BBQ grill, perfect for grilling your favorite meat while enjoying a bottle of brew. We occupied the first 2, the 3rd one a family from France, and the last cabin is a family from India. Since the cabins share a common front porch, we got to know each other, sampling our different food and enjoying one's company. It was a blast. You can not find this kind of interaction if you would've stayed in a hotel. I would definitely recommend this place if you want to save a ton of $ and meet other interesting people in the process.

Room Tip: Reserve early to get the last cabin...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Eastern NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I planned on visiting Yosemite National Park, but did not want to pay the prices to stay in the park. I looked on line for a nearby city that had hotels, and found Mariposa, which is about 30 miles from Yosemite, renting rooms at over $100.00 a night. I travel on a tight budget, so keep looking. I found Bear Creek Cabins in Midpines, CA, only 19 miles from Yosemite, that was less expensive than anything in Mariposa. I got a AAA discount, and booked on line. When I arrived and followed the signs for Bear Creek Cabins, I thought I was in the wrong place, as you have to dive through a section of "housing" that is old and run down; however, I followed the signs and found Bear Creek a bit further on. I was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and large room waiting for me. The manager, Lou Ann came right out, knew me by name, and had my paperwork ready. She and her husband are extremely friendly, and knowledgeable about the area, giving helpful hints for sightseeing and travel destinations in the area. The room had a small kitchen with a small dorm size refrigerator. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with soap and towels. The down side was that there was only a swamp cooler for air conditioning, and no central heating system, only a space heater to use. It gets cold in the mountains at night, and the first night was a bit chilly, but I managed. Midpines, while only 19 miles from Yosemite, takes about 45 minutes to drive, as the road is winding, and you need to drive either up or down from Yosemite to go anywhere. There are restaurants in Mariposa, another 10 miles up the road, but if you bring your own food, there are barbeques that are provided to cook on. Please be advised that there are bears and mountain lions in the area, as in Yosemite, so do not leave any food in your cars, and be careful taking a solitary walk after dark. The bed was firm and comfortable, with sheets that you would have on your bed at home, not commercially laundered ones that are stiff and scratchy. There is limited cell service, and the service is provided by Golden State Cellular. There is only one very fuzzy television channel, and if you need to get on the internet, you can take your laptop and sit near the office. There are only four rooms, two of them have double beds, the other two are suites with an upstairs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Wa.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have written several reviews, and often use other reviews to decide on a budget property. So, I am writing this to help others. This is my first truly bad experience and we travel often.
I booked a cabin, as another person said it was okay for a night. We've stayed in cabins before, that were quaint, but clean and decent, which is the least we expect. The Yosemite area is NOT cheap, by any means. So, agreeing to pay $109 for one night, plus tax, I booked here. We got to the cabins about 7:30 pm. We drove past some slum looking cabins to get to where the office was. We parked, walked up the drive to the office. The way was strewn with junk, right up to the office door. Plus there was junk across the drive from the cabin. Very messy area. There was a note to go to cabin #5, which we were parked in front of. The siding looked old, but we went in. It truly smelled! Musty, or whatever, very unpleasant. It looked clean enough, but with the smell and junky area, we just couldn't stay.
We headed to Mariposa, and I called Comfort Inn. They had nothing available, but kindly gave me the # for a place. We paid more than I care to for it, but it was outstanding! Unfortunately, I also got charged for this cabin, as it was on hold with my CC.
This is my opinion, and I'm sorry to write this, but feel others need to be aware.
Okay, I had pics of the exterior and path to the office, but this site isn't allowing them to post. Sorry, it would truly show the junkiness.

Room Tip: The newer cabins looked okay, but the area is junky, regardless.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bear Creek Cabins? Share your experiences!