“Clean, quiet, roomy cabin - loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bear Creek Cabins to your Saves list
Bear Creek Cabins
6993 Hwy 140, Mariposa, CA 95338   |
Houston, Texas
“Clean, quiet, roomy cabin - loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Bear Creek cabins at a very reasonable rate ($120/night) in August of 2011. We were in the cabin suite: unit #4 in the main cabin, the end unit. The room was HUGE, with a bedroom upstairs and a queen bed downstairs next to a large living room w/ breakfast area. The bathroom was downstairs - with a tub! It was charming and rustic and the hostess, Lou Ann was very helpful and courteous. There were cooking supplies, dishes & utensils and a full size refrigerator, stove & microwave. The wild blackberries were ripe on the bushes next to our cabin so we had fresh blackberries with our granola on the front porch every morning! We couldn't have loved it more.

We had a new flat-screen TV with, I think, DirecTV although we didn't turn it on while we were there. We also had a fireplace.

Although our unit is called a cabin, it is attached to three other units in one building sharing a deep front porch. Unit #4 is at the far end and we walked past the other three units to get to ours. Having the end unit meant it was the most quiet with only one shared wall and no one walking past our door.

As other people mentioned, you have to drive past some slightly trash places to get here. If that bothers you - DON'T STAY HERE!!!! Also, don't write a bad review because of that - would you want people reviewing your house based on your trashy neighbor down the street?

Anyway, this is not a Hyatt or Comfort Suites/ Ramada so it won't be at that level of cleanliness. If you're expecting that type of room - again, DON'T STAY HERE!!!! The cabins, however, will be infinitely cleaner and cheaper than most of the Yosemite park accommodations. The downside is that the drive is close to 1 hour to get to the park.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in Yosemite National Park and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, this cabin is for you. Situated around 25 miles from the park (45 mins or so depending on traffic), this cabin offers a cheap alternative to the ridiculous amount other cabins charge. The place itself is tucked inside (and very hard to find at night) a compound off the main highway. I agree with the other reviewer about the junk/slum looking cabins on the way to the main cabin itself. But if you get past that, what you'll find is a the main cabin structure, divided into 4 separate cabins (the last one is MUCH bigger than the other 3) sharing a front porch. In front you will see a big grassy area, where the kids can play. The first 2 cabins have 2 beds each and a kitchenette. Each cabin also has a BBQ grill, perfect for grilling your favorite meat while enjoying a bottle of brew. We occupied the first 2, the 3rd one a family from France, and the last cabin is a family from India. Since the cabins share a common front porch, we got to know each other, sampling our different food and enjoying one's company. It was a blast. You can not find this kind of interaction if you would've stayed in a hotel. I would definitely recommend this place if you want to save a ton of $ and meet other interesting people in the process.

Room Tip: Reserve early to get the last cabin...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Eastern NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I planned on visiting Yosemite National Park, but did not want to pay the prices to stay in the park. I looked on line for a nearby city that had hotels, and found Mariposa, which is about 30 miles from Yosemite, renting rooms at over $100.00 a night. I travel on a tight budget, so keep looking. I found Bear Creek Cabins in Midpines, CA, only 19 miles from Yosemite, that was less expensive than anything in Mariposa. I got a AAA discount, and booked on line. When I arrived and followed the signs for Bear Creek Cabins, I thought I was in the wrong place, as you have to dive through a section of "housing" that is old and run down; however, I followed the signs and found Bear Creek a bit further on. I was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and large room waiting for me. The manager, Lou Ann came right out, knew me by name, and had my paperwork ready. She and her husband are extremely friendly, and knowledgeable about the area, giving helpful hints for sightseeing and travel destinations in the area. The room had a small kitchen with a small dorm size refrigerator. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with soap and towels. The down side was that there was only a swamp cooler for air conditioning, and no central heating system, only a space heater to use. It gets cold in the mountains at night, and the first night was a bit chilly, but I managed. Midpines, while only 19 miles from Yosemite, takes about 45 minutes to drive, as the road is winding, and you need to drive either up or down from Yosemite to go anywhere. There are restaurants in Mariposa, another 10 miles up the road, but if you bring your own food, there are barbeques that are provided to cook on. Please be advised that there are bears and mountain lions in the area, as in Yosemite, so do not leave any food in your cars, and be careful taking a solitary walk after dark. The bed was firm and comfortable, with sheets that you would have on your bed at home, not commercially laundered ones that are stiff and scratchy. There is limited cell service, and the service is provided by Golden State Cellular. There is only one very fuzzy television channel, and if you need to get on the internet, you can take your laptop and sit near the office. There are only four rooms, two of them have double beds, the other two are suites with an upstairs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Wa.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have written several reviews, and often use other reviews to decide on a budget property. So, I am writing this to help others. This is my first truly bad experience and we travel often.
I booked a cabin, as another person said it was okay for a night. We've stayed in cabins before, that were quaint, but clean and decent, which is the least we expect. The Yosemite area is NOT cheap, by any means. So, agreeing to pay $109 for one night, plus tax, I booked here. We got to the cabins about 7:30 pm. We drove past some slum looking cabins to get to where the office was. We parked, walked up the drive to the office. The way was strewn with junk, right up to the office door. Plus there was junk across the drive from the cabin. Very messy area. There was a note to go to cabin #5, which we were parked in front of. The siding looked old, but we went in. It truly smelled! Musty, or whatever, very unpleasant. It looked clean enough, but with the smell and junky area, we just couldn't stay.
We headed to Mariposa, and I called Comfort Inn. They had nothing available, but kindly gave me the # for a place. We paid more than I care to for it, but it was outstanding! Unfortunately, I also got charged for this cabin, as it was on hold with my CC.
This is my opinion, and I'm sorry to write this, but feel others need to be aware.
Okay, I had pics of the exterior and path to the office, but this site isn't allowing them to post. Sorry, it would truly show the junkiness.

Room Tip: The newer cabins looked okay, but the area is junky, regardless.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011 via mobile

These are well maintained and equipped log cabins. 2 double beds, bathroom and cooking facilities. The owner was very friendly and helpful. For a family of four we found this ideal accommodation. It is not a 4 star hotel, but was excellent value and less than an hour from the centre of Yosemite. Mariposa is a short drive and has most things including restaurants and shops. The resort next door had the feel of a youth hostel, but did provide good value evening meals.

• Stayed October 2010
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

You may not want to stay here if you happened upon it by accident. The property is VERY unkempt with old cars, and rusty equipment. There appears to be other houses/cabins on the property that people reside in, that had trash and debris everywhere.

We found this online and the cabins inside looked okay. Once I emailed for reservations - the Manager Luann was very helpful. We also spoke on the phone and she was delightful and welcoming. Had great tips on the park.

When we arrived (we wanted to turn back at the site of the property) we were pleasantly surprised at the inside of the cabin! Looks like a motel. Updated bathroom, large room (we had a standard cabin $99) new TV, cable, kitchenette, sofa, large bed, dining table. Perfect! Since we were camping outside we felt safe staying there. The bed is rock hard though.There are BBQ's around the cabins that you can use and it is a short walk to the Bug Hostel where we had drinks and dinner.

It's not too far from the park (30 mins.? but one of the roads was shared so we had to wait about 15 mins. for our turn).

We may stay there again because of the convenience of finding a place the week of 4th of July and the price. But please clean up the site! It's scary and could drive away potential customers.

Room Tip: Email your requests, concerns, special needs. LuAnn is quick to respond.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hesperia, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Spiders everywhere. Cobwebs on the screens, couldn't open the windows, cobwebs on the ceiling, behind the toilet, under the eves. We even saw two spiders fighting in the kitchen corner. Made the mistake of putting suitcases on floor- yep, spiders got in there too, really quick. Pulled out a pair of shorts and shook them and three (3) spiders ran off! Had to shake everything out before packing up to leave, and some still made it home with us, ick!

The room looked clean on the surface, but when you really started looking it was dirty. Don't open the cubbards under the sinks, ugh! Bedspread looked like it had a urine stain on it, tables on porch still have everyone's spilled whatever on them. Clorox and some raid would go a long way here. If it was cleaned up it would be ok. And as someone else stated, you had to drive thru the slums to get to the room.

Location was good, close to Yosemite parks. Kind of in the center of things.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you don't like spiders and a little dirt.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bear Creek Cabins? Share your experiences!