“Yummy garlic knots, so-so meal.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
C&O Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: C&O Trattoria (C&O) has been open since 1969. Now a well known Venice Beach landmark, serving Northern Italian breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. It has become known for good food and friendly service in a relaxed garden setting. On May 1, 1993, C & O Trattoria officially opened a Northern Italian concept, unlike any other in Los Angeles, serving gargantuan portions of high quality Northern Italian pastas at unbelievably low prices. Add our "Killer Garlic Rolls," nightly sing along, honor wine bar, and friendly team service and you have the C & O Trattoria, one of LA's premier Northern Italian eateries.
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Yummy garlic knots, so-so meal.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was a decent (and by decent, I mean we ate it) meal with good service. Yes, the garlic knots are highly addictive in an oh-my-word-this-is-so-bad-for-me-but-I-cannot-stop way. Drool! Our server suggested the calamari and stuffed mushroom appetizers. We ordered small portions of each, but they brought large ones (and charged us for it-- we didn't realize they brought larges until we saw the bill, but didn't care enough to argue against it). The calamari was average and we did not enjoy (or finish) the mushrooms. Perhaps the mushrooms were too old; they seemed to have taken on that "stinky" flavor that mushrooms develop when they've been sitting too long. The stuffing was not good either. We had the linguini with clams, which was quite good and flavorful, and farfalle with eggplant which was... kind of dreadfully bland. It had a nondescript white sauce with a few diced pieces of tomato and eggplant here and there. We smothered it with parmesan to give it some sort of flavor.

We went early in the evening because we had kids in tow, but also because I had heard about some communal singing and toasting that happens later on. Kill me now! I'm not a grinch (not exactly, at least), I'm just an introvert. That kind of thing gives me MEGA heeby jeebies, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Yes, of course the singing is voluntary, but if everyone in the restaurant is singing, it's just weird if you don't join in. So, if you are an introvert like me, you might want to find out what time they do the singing and avoid dining during that window.

I was not unhappy upon leaving, but would not return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chester
“Perhaps too much expectation !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Having visited the sister restaurant two years ago and had a great meal we felt that on this last trip we should experience the Trattoria. I was most looking forward to the 'sing along' that most reviews had mentioned and of course the garlic knots !.........With all this expectation on the build up to our vacation I can only say that we all left disappointed. The garlic knots were gorgeous as expected but that's where the great experience ended. Our server was fun but when we pointed out that the drinks order was incorrect he took the drink away advising it would be replaced without additional charge !.....a strange response for an error that was his own. I opted for the Merlot as opposed to the house carafe but it came in a small tumbler and wasn't a quality wine. The food was average and the atmosphere felt rushed, I.e if you've finished your food and haven't ordered more drinks then here's your check !......in other words, please make way for more paying guests. To top it all we were there for a good hour and twenty but didn't get to experience any of the much anticipated sing along that we were so looking forward to. When on limited nights whilst on vacation in LA to eat out I would suggest there are better ways elsewhere to spend those nights. Sorry Trattoria......like I say perhaps too much expected ?

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Every time I come to visit my son in Venice, I want to come here. The food is great, the service is excellent, the outdoor patio has nice ambiance, and it is overall a very great casual restaurant. The portions are huge and the tasty garlic knots arrive in abundance. Plus they periodically have everyone sing That's Amore, along with Dean. What could be more fun than that? A carafe is set on the table, if you desire, and you pour your own wine glass on the honor system. The prices are very reasonable. It is one block from the beach. I love it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jennnifer F, Manager at C&O Trattoria, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so happy when we hear that our customers enjoy coming back time and time again. We are also glad to hear that you enjoy our meals and ambiance as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
West Bountiful, Utah
“Garlic Knots Are Great, But Pace Yourself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

A friend recommended C&O Trattoria when I was in town for business. Even before leaving for the restaurant she said, "beware the delicious garlic knots." Here's why: The wait-staff will start bring these tasty little butter and garlic bread balls (about an inch or two across) not long after you're seated... and they never stop bringing them. The knots are small enough that you don't pay much attention to them, and tasty enough that you just want more. This would all be fine if the entrees weren't so big. Most of us ignored the warning and only made it half way through diner before we reached out limits. I liked it enough that I want to come back next time I'm in town. My only negative comment is that the music was overpowering. There were nine of us, I was at one end of the table, and couldn't hear anything the other end said all night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jennnifer F, Manager at C&O Trattoria, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Our Killer Garlic Rolls can definitely sneak up and get you full without realizing it if you aren't careful :) however, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner, and hope you come in again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice option to eat fast and simple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

It is a basic italian restaurant, with all typical plates one can expected. We ate at the heated patio, which is a nice area to eat outside. Service was nice, and the food was good (I had the eggplant lasagna). The crew was very nice, the food was served very fast and bill came right away when we ask.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jennnifer F, Manager at C&O Trattoria, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your lasagna, as well as our service, and hope to see you again soon!