“Very Busy lots of Hype” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
C&O Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Description: C&O Trattoria (C&O) has been open since 1969. Now a well known Venice Beach landmark, serving Northern Italian breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. It has become known for good food and friendly service in a relaxed garden setting. On May 1, 1993, C & O Trattoria officially opened a Northern Italian concept, unlike any other in Los Angeles, serving gargantuan portions of high quality Northern Italian pastas at unbelievably low prices. Add our "Killer Garlic Rolls," nightly sing along, honor wine bar, and friendly team service and you have the C & O Trattoria, one of LA's premier Northern Italian eateries.
“Very Busy lots of Hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Use the Valet parking if you don't want a fight with your spouse. The service was slow due to how busy they are with all the hype. The bread balls are good but not unlimited because someone other than the wait staff fills it and you have to share with the whole restraunt we only received one basket (6 balls) our entire meal. Food was good portions not very big and I was starving myself after reading all the reviews. Good thing Cold Stone is across the street.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond VA
“A fantastic gathering place for family or friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Visited the C&O with my son, wife and friends. What a wonderful experience. We sat outdoors (the location is right at Venice Beach) and enjoyed a great meal. You have your choice of family style service or ordering individually. And of course they break out the song sheets every once in awhile and every one sings along to some great Italian song. Yes, a great time for all.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Limassol, Cyprus
“1 star for the food, 5 for the service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I found myself in the vicinity of this restaurant, and I decided to try it. Being Italian, and eating in restaurants over 250 days a year, I try to avoid Italian restaurants abroad, because I have been seldon satisfied. This one was no exception. Yet, a restaurant where the staff is soo good and kind and well motivated, must be able to do better!!!

We got a nice welcome by the maitre, and brought to our table. The restaurant reminded me of the Italian trattorias of the 60s, old photos on the wall, I would say agreable even if the smell of garlic was a little bit overwhelming. I understood why when, as soon as we sat down, we were brought a massime amount of garlic bread. I could not eat it because, being from the North Italy, I do not eat garlic which is much more typical of the South of Italy cuisine.

We ordered stuffed mushrooms, mixed antipasto platter and a minestrone. The stuffed mushrooms were sent back as they felt old and really very oily. The antipasto had good eggplants, reasonable quality mozzarella and tomatoes, medium level salami and ham, low quality Greek olives and very low quality artichokes.
The minestrone was ok, but nothing more.

What is wrong in such a restaurant? First of all, the menu: I did not count the number of dishes they offered, but they must have been well over 40. This makes me worry about the quality of the food, as it is virtually impossible to have fish, meat, salad, sauces, pasta, pizza, you name it, in such variable quantity, without sacrificing quality. All modern Italian restaurants have maximum 10, 15 different dishes.

Second, if you are an Italian restaurant, you must use Italian ingredients. The antipasto was made of American and Greek ingredients. I can understand that you cannot ship the mozzarella from Italy, and probably also the ham and salami cannot be imported. But you can buy in the USA excellent dried tomatoes, and olives and artichokes under olive oil, made in Italy; and they are totally different in texture and flavor from the ones we had.

Looking at the menu, I also noted that the scaloppine (Marsala or with wine, if I recall well), were served on .... spaghetti or fettuccine. If any cook would try to do that in Italy, he/she would be lynched and the place close for good. Italians NEVER mix the two things! If you claim to run an Italian restaurant, do things the Italian way (btw, this is why every American who goes to Italy and ask for a "latte" is given a glass of milk, as the US latte in Italian is called caffellatte, as "latte" in Italian means milk! and please, do not ask a Frangelico in Italy, because we do not know what it is, and the same for the fettuccine Alfredo, which are unknown except for a not so well know restaurant in Rome which probably has an american relationship).

The restaurant had a selection of 3 types of Italian wines, the one I selected they did not have, but the one I got, an unknown Pinot Grigio Campagnola, was agreable and light.
We appreciated the courtesy of the staff, and the fact that the mushrooms were removed from the bill, which came at 64$

But really, on the food side you can do better.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent italian with great service in venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We were greated by the extremely friendly serving staff and immediately taken to a table in the courtyard.

Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable of the menu and gave us his advice and recommendations which were greatly received.

We had antipasti to share to start and each had pasta as a main. Accompanied by a magnum of house chianti that you only pay for what you drink.

A word of advice. Dont fill up on the complementary garlic bread! We found it impossible however as it is delicious!

For three people with tip it was $150. A great place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Göteborg
“Fantastic - garlic bread from heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The italian cousin at Trattoria is wonderful. The service marvelous and the size of the portions big. Don't miss out on the garlic bread...

Visited February 2013