“Nice hotel - but extra charges are annoying” 3 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oviedo, Florida
“Nice hotel - but extra charges are annoying”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stay here frequently for business travel. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. Service is at a high level. Typical Ritz Carlton, which is expensive but very good and usually worth the cost.

A couple of things rubbed me the wrong way on my last trip:

- Arrived at the same time as a large group of solo travelers (about 8 or 9) and there was only one front desk person to check everyone in - he called for help a few times - but no one showed up, and it took me 30 minutes to check in

- The hotel bar is very over-priced - a crown & coke was $18! Skip the bar at these prices.

- Valet parking (only valet is available) is $33/day, yikes!

• Liked — Cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — High prices at bar
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Malibu, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have been staying at this Ritz for 8 years on a regular basis and always enjoyed it and reciently wrote a favorable review for it. But last week I stayed there and had such a terribe time I have changed my view of the property and can no longer recommend it. I checked in on a Saturday and was staying for two days. Most of my time there is spent by the beautiful pool So after I checked in I get a message that the pool would be closed at 4 pm that day for a wedding. I was slightly upset that I was not informed of this prior to checking in but a wedding at the Ritz can be excused. But the next day on Sunday I went to the pool after brunch and it was wall to wall people. ANd these were obvioulsy not Ritz guests but looked like some were literally street people. I was told when I went to the pool that it was a party and everyone was invited. I found out later that anyone can register and use the Ritz pool free for the day. So the pool area was so full it took one of the attendants about 10 minutes to find a space for me. When he did it was between 4 men who were dresed in street clothes but took off thier shirts to expose tatoos and picered nipples. They all sat next to me and on other side of me, about 18 inches away were two ladies who wer chain smokers. Did i mention that they had hip hop music blasting away at the pool side which made it impossible to go into the pool. Plus the pool was full of people drinking beer in cups which the Ritz was doing a brisk business selling. IT was absulutely horrible. I lasted about 10 minutes and left the hotel looking for a quiet place to go. I went to Santa Monica beach and found ther was no parking there-it was full also. So here I was spending $600 a night to stay at the ritz so I could enjoy the pool and I could not because they failed to tell me they opened it up to the public. I was so upset. When the lady at checkout asked how was your stay, i told her "terrible" and explained why. She never even looked up but just said in a bland way "I am sorry to hear that. "
So when I got home I cancelled my reservation for next month and will neve stay there again. Look for mea at the Beverly Wilshire where I have never had a bad time.

• Stayed July 2008
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Stayed here as the nearby Loews - where I had a meeting the following day - was booked. Room at a corporate rate of $250 was considerably less than the Loews, and its proximity to LAX, barely 10 mins away, will likely have me back again. Hotel in great shape; king bed I had requested wasn't available, hotel was booked, they upgraded me to the concierge floor where a king was available. Typically nice presentation of foods, etc.
Would definately return.

Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

We chose the Ritz-Carlton since it was the only hotel in the area located close to the waterfront. Booked room 229, overlooking the Marina. Was really impressed us was the high level of service! Every day we were greeted by the personell: nice charming people with a genuine smile! And this hotel was able to do something very seldom seen at other hotels: they gave us botles of water, for free!! What a great way to make the customer feel loyal to the brand, and it doesnt cost much either.

The room was very nice and the beds VERY comfy. Quiet aircon that was highly effective. You will hear a rumble from LAX but its not a problem. Each morning I loved to open the door and have a look at the Marina. The bathroom was spotless. The inroom safe very easy to operate. The showerhead large and could be angled. LG flatscreen.

Yes, the hotel is not located close to shops etc. But we would DEFINITELY stay there again. Now, back in Norway, we sincerely miss everyone in the friendly staff that we met, the front desk, the concierge, those at the valet parking and in the restaurant. I hope that someday we will meet again... :-)

Tom & Synne

• Liked — SERVICE!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stay here every time I am coming home from SE Asia and want to break the trip. Convenient to LAX (15 minutes by taxi), nice property, very good service, nice upscale ambiance, good views of the yacht harbor, good food and wine. Definitely a good alternative to any airport transient hotel at LAX.

Imagine coming from a 14-hour flight and landing in this hotel. Nice staff, good service, and what awaits you is their soft king bed and a balcony overlooking the sailboats. The restaurant is nice, although the food selection is somewhat limited, but definitely above average for an American hotel restaurant. Good Californian wine selection.

I stayed there for a night before Christmas on my way from Indonesia, enjoyed a good dinner and a glass of brandy in front of the fireplace and the place felt perfect. I actually saw families with kids staying there, evidently to celebrate Christmas. This is definitely not a hotel for business road warriors and transients.

However, at over $600 a night for room and meals, the place is not among the cheapest.

• Liked — The location, view, staff
  • Disliked — Low ceilings in guest rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
x19racer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

This hotel is everything you'd expect from the name Ritz Carlton. It is clean, the wait staff is very attentive (maybe even too much), the other guests keep to themselves and were not very friendly, etc.

I came down to SoCal for a job interview, paid for by my prospective employer and they put me up at the Ritz. It is really nice but it wasn't really the place for me. Maybe I'm too simple but $18 for OJ is a little over the top, even if I'm not paying. I hung out there for a few days, ate at many of the neighboring restaurants and talked to everyone who would talk to me. It was just kind of stuffy plus you're not really walking distance from the beach and that's what I was thinking when went to California.

Venice (very entertaining freak show) is a 40 minute walk away but it's not like I can put on my flipflops, grab a towel and walk over easily.

I guess it depends on what your looking for and I was looking for California culture -- I think it would be the same as any other Ritz.

I might have been more impressed until I spent the last 2 nights at this little beach hotel next door in Manhattan Beach (see next review).

But it was really nice.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location, cost and too proper
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Had a business event at the Ritz out in LA. The hotel is wonderfully accomodated and service was abosutely stellar. The front desk helped me track down the best noreabang in the area which we didn't end up doing, but I appreciated their efforts. The food was great, the room was great, the location is a bit lacking. That said the fitness center was very nice and the pool was just right. Overall if someone else is picking up the pricey dime I'd go for it again.

• Liked — pool was very nice and so was the fitness center
  • Disliked — general location was a bit crowded
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!