“excellent hotel, location is a little lacking” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 4th Night
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“excellent hotel, location is a little lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Had a business event at the Ritz out in LA. The hotel is wonderfully accomodated and service was abosutely stellar. The front desk helped me track down the best noreabang in the area which we didn't end up doing, but I appreciated their efforts. The food was great, the room was great, the location is a bit lacking. That said the fitness center was very nice and the pool was just right. Overall if someone else is picking up the pricey dime I'd go for it again.

• Liked — pool was very nice and so was the fitness center
  • Disliked — general location was a bit crowded
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

Basically I used this as a glorified airport hotel (arrived in the evening with an outgoing flight LAX-LHR due after 4pm next day). Travelled alone. I booked this through a favorable Amex Platinum FHR rate.

I booked the cheapest deluxe room and got a very nice upgrade to a Junior Suite, King Bed, with a view straight over the marina. Delightful welcome from the front-desk staff. Immaculately prepared huge room, great furnishings, Bulgari toiletries. My only quibble (as at any hotel nowadays) is why have large flatscreen LCD TVs when the signal delivered is grottyvision 4:3?

I must say I really enjoyed my brief stay at this property, continental breakfast (room service) and $66 lunch at Jer-Ne (including alcohol and tip) all covered by the FHR rate. Just what I needed to chill after a hectic business trip before the long journey home.

No trouble transferring to and from LAX (about $20-25 each way).

Strongly recommended as an alternative to the LAX airport hotels.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel three times now, in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and can not fault anything at this hotel. If you're on a family vacation it's probably out of your price range and you need to drive to most things, but I stayed for business and everything was managed to perfection!

Check in was really good. Each time I stayed here it was part of a group, although we all arrived individually. The man at checkin remembered me from the time before each time which I though was a nice touch. He probably looked through the hotel records in advance to see who had stayed as part of our group before, although I was one of the few people to be there each time, but it was a nice touch nonetheless. After checkin I was personally shown to the elevators and told about the hotel features and services.

The food and drink in the hotel was really nice. I didn't sample their full menu but I ate at the breakfast buffet and couldn't fault it. I've also had a couple of Pizzas from their main menu and these were really nice, as were the drinks in the bar - even something as simple as Orange juice.

The rooms are large, spacious and come with everything you need - however if there is something you need extra all you need to do is call the front desk and it will be done quickly for you. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was large and the views were really good. Every room has a balcony or terrace and many of them look out onto Marina Del Rey, which the hotel borders. If your room is on the other side you overlook the hotel entrance, but you have great views across the city all the way to the mountains behind Hollywood.

Location wise the hotel is a little far out from things and if you are staying here for anything but business you will most likely need to drive to it or get a texi, which can be expensive ($25 to airport and $60 to Hollywood). However if you're staying in LA for a vacation you are almost certain to have a car anyway as the city is very large so this doesn't present a problem. If you're looking for nightlife in the area there probably isn't much. There are a few restaurants and a couple of bars within walking distance but not a huge selection and I've never eaten at them so can't really comment. However if you're looking for more of an atmosphere at night just get a taxi to Venice Beach if youre there in summer and there's plenty to do there.

The thing I praise the most is the service. Every staff member prides themselves in doing everything they can to make your stay more pleasurable. The staff at the front desk are very efficient and friendly, the concierge will drop everything to help you, the parking people outside are VERY good and the restaurant / bar staff are quick and friendly.

A point about service that really stands out. Last time I stayed at the hotel a group of us got a taxi to the conference we were attending. However when we got out he rushed off to another call without letting me get my bag out of the back which wasn't good. I had all the essentials on me like passport and tickets but most of my money and everything else I needed was in the bag. Aaron at EA, who coordinated our group and Alan at the hotel (he's one of the people outside on the taxi / parking desk thing) did everything they could to sort it out and the bag was there waiting for me when I woke up the following day. Not bad service considering how many taxi's there must have been in the city and all we could remember was the colour of the taxi.

To conclude - this is a VERY nice hotel with great views and an extremely high standard of service. It's probably out of the price range of the average family on a vacation but if you can afford it or really want to stay here then you will not be able to fault anything at the hotel. It's not really near anything other than a couple of restaurants and the Marina itself but Los Angeles is so spread out nothing is really near anything else.

I would highly recommend this hotel to people who have it in their price range!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed one night at the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Rey, and I cannot recommend this hotel more highly. The best part about the hotel is the amazing service. Every hotel staff person that we met was friendly and went out of his or her way to make our stay so enjoyable. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
NY/NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

I stayed here for business on the concierge floor and the staff was the best part. While I would not recommend this hotel if you are vacationing in LA due to its remote location, it was pleasant overall. The spa is average at best and in need of an update. The beds are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. And the restaurant is not bad - if your company is paying. Again - the staff was great but other than that I would not stay here unless it's a business trip and you have no choice.

• Liked — Service/Staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

We only stayed one night before boarding our cruise liner but what a glorious place to stay. The atmosphere from the first greeting was one of relaxed hospitality and after our flight and usual 2 hours standing in immigration it was a joy! The rooms were spacious and tastefully furnished with wonderful views over the marina. The bathroom didn't skimp either and the Bulgari toiletries were an added bonus.

Breakfast was a plentiful feast without breaking the bank and could be taken either inside or on the terrace. On top of all this the staff were helpful, friendly and some the most professional we have come across. We were part of the T5 debacle and reception provided everything we might require for our immediate needs and the concierge team worked through the night to secure any hope of recieving at least some of our luggage (something BA were not even interested in!)
I hope if you get the chance to stay here it will be for longer than one night.

• Liked — Stylish, comfortable rooms, friendly staff and great views.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

The rooms are large and clean, but I've always had something go wrong every time I stay....once I was there for 10 days and didn't have a hot shower the whole time I was there despite complaints about the water temp to the front desk and concierge. Also, if you're at all interested in nightlife such as dining or bars, there's nothing but a sports bar anywhere near the hotel. Since I don't like to drive after even one drink, I always end up ordering room service when at the Ritz since there's really no other option. Nice pool, but is crowed with children during the summer (locals can by a country club-type membership to the pool). I guess it's a good place for those who like an ocean view, and quiet surroundings, but not great if you want anything beyond that.

• Liked — Clean, large rooms.
  • Disliked — Location, Location, Location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!