“Nice Calm Relaxing and Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Calm Relaxing and Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed at several Ritz properties but this is my best for many reasons. The staff is excellent. The location and the extras are so great. Free Internet in the Lobby. I would park across the street unless you don't care about the expensive Valet Parking fees. The Swimming Pool, Hot Tub/Jacuzzi, the Steam Room are all great and open 24 hours a day. A basketball court also. The fitness center is superb! Get a room facing the swimming pool. You can still see the Marina. There are few places to eat within walking distance also there are some nice walking and running trails and bike paths. If you can splurge stay here! Warning, the rooms are small! This is a good place to people watch also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Service outstanding as you would expect. The rooms are nothing special at all, I was rather underwhelmed, maybe it was me but I thought Ritz and expected to be wowed. It's a perfectly lovely hotel, just don't expect to get the wow factor on the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we had valet parking which made parking very easy. As we walked into the building all the staff were amazingly lovely. We had someone to check us in straight away and was offered water which was a great idea as we had just traveled 7 hours. We were staying on the club floor which was very nice, the rooms where nice and comfortable and the club lounge was comfortable and homely. The staff in the club lounge were amazing and would do anything for you!!! Zonia, Edgar, Alexande and someone else (can't remember name) where lovely they made the experience so much better! They would do anything we asked them and they would come and talk to use for ages if not busy which I thought was good. The pool was lovely and well maintained. The only bad thing that I can say about the hotel is that the funishing is very dated and worn and the hotel could do with a freshen up to make it less worn, for example the carpet in the lobby lounge is very worn, fraying around the edges and marked, this is from it being down a long time. So to make the hotel better they ritz Carlton company should re decorate and re furnish the hotel! Apart from this the hotel is lovely and the management should be VERY proud of all of the staff as they are so lovely and kind!

• Stayed June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just arrived from our 3 nights four days holiday in Los Angeles, we chose Ritz Carlton as we don't travel often and wanted to make it special. When we arrived we had a warm welcome from the bell boy, a really nice guy who gave us some advice. Then a nice lady came and made a dog with a balloon for our daughter and offered a lollipop. The reception was a bit annoying,. the guy barely smiled and when we asked for a cot, he said it was going to be 35 dollars per night extra...(yes, after paying more than 300 bucks for night) we agreed, and went out for a stroll and buy some milk for the babies, when we arrived, the cot was not ready and it was time for the baby to sleep. We finally got the cot after requesting it via operator who called later to see if it was delivered. It came with a nice bag of baby amenities. (shampoo, night light, cream etc) The next day in the morning, my 3 years old daughter was watching the boats and I realized how torn are the curtains in the room, so I agree with the reviews that the hotel is a bit dated, not to mention the rugs in the lobby, dirty and torn.

We wanted to take a taxi to do some shopping and when we jumped in, the taxi driver did not want to take us because of the children (no car seats) and the porter, a nice guy, offered his niece seat in order to help us, this was a super nice gesture but we ended up hiring a car through the concierge Amanda, she was amazing. The car ended up being expensive due to the very high rate for valet parking (40 dollars per night).

The fitness room is good, the steam room is fantastic, the amenities there are great and the service is good. The water in the outdoor spa is really hot. It depends on how you like the temperature of the water, but for me it was a bit too much, I felt like my head was going to explode, so I left the spa and jumped in the pool which is really nice.

Tha last day, we requested a late check out because our plane wouldn't leave until 11 pm, the housekeeper was fantastic and offered help if the key would not work after noon, she was amazing with my one year old and really friendly. I love how my husband left all the coins in the desk, and we came back, the cleaner put all the quarters in one side, and all the other coins in another.

I would say, in the end that hotel is dated and expensive, but the staff makes it great and really makes the difference, (not the reception guy though)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The service at this hotel is outstanding and the cleaning ladies do a great job. It is close to many great places to eat like Tony P, Warehouse restaurant, Beachside, El Torito, Cheesecake factory, Mendocino Farms and the Mariott restaurant. The restaurant inside this hotel is very lousy though-----limited menu and very high prices. The people working at the restaurants here are very polite and professional. The rooms are spacious and bathrooms are very wide for easy maneuvering. It is close to the airport (LAX) and the Hop on Hop off bus stop is right in front of the hotel. Valet parking was $40 which is quite expensive compared to other first class hotels and the internet is $12.95 per day. We got to know the reception girl, Natasha who was outstanding as she made sure our stay was fantastic by giving us cards as well as wine and fruits and asked what else she could do to make our stay great. To upgrade and eat a big breakfast makes no sense because then one gains a lot of weight eating a lot of carbs. Just a one plate breakfast at the nearby IHOP or Beachside restaurant did the trick.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible and facing the west to get a better view. If you give the recept...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Just outside of Pittsburgh,PA in Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here a couple of nights in August 2012 before going to a conference in Vegas. We had a very nice stay here. If you can upgrade to to include the 11th floor by all means do so. It was well worth it. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking was too expensive but Two thumbs up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a delightful overnight stay! I was so impressed with each and every staff member at the Ritz--every interaction, from the valet to the front desk attendant to the housekeeper, was superb.

Trina, in the 11th floor lounge, ensured I had a hearty morning breakfast, complete with a bowl of muesli and a steaming cappuccino, before suggesting fun places to visit on my way to Santa Barbara.

The hotel itself is gorgeous! Located in the heart of Marina del Rey, the view in and around the hotel is spectacular. The Ritz gets five stars for attention to detail--the grounds are beautifully maintained, and the lobby and lounge areas are luxurious yet relaxed with a low-key, Southern California vibe.

My room overlooked the pool and tennis courts, and of course, the marina itself. At night I opened my balcony door to allow the fresh salt air to filter into my room. And of course, the plush terry robe and "purple water" bath gel made my nighttime bath a sublime experience. (I love a hotel with a really nice tub!)

My only (very minor) complaint was the in-room coffee, which wasn't at all robust. The Ritz is all about creating a superior guest experience, so perhaps a contract with Peets might create a win-win for both guests and coffee company? Just a thought! :)

Despite the minor quibble about coffee, I didn't want to check out, thanks the stellar staff and to the hotel's So-Cal charm. If I'd had the option, I'd have passed up my trip to Santa Barbara just to lounge at the Ritz all day!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room overlooking the marina. The salt air will ensure a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!