“old fashioned” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“old fashioned”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were three girls that had been traveling around california for 2 weeks and this was our last 2 nights and thought we would stay in a nice hotel .
The hotel was lovely but very dated i think it was more suited to older people or families .the beds were comfortable but the rooms weren't very big , we did have a nice view of the marina.
We had food around the pool which wasnt very nice which we were surprised about , the pool was nice tho but the sun didnt stay there for long as the hotel overshadowed it after 3pm .
There wasnt a lot to do near the hotel but a 20min walk down towards the beach and we found a few pubs and restaurant
You could hear the people in the next room too , over all it was a nice hotel but not amazing for 5*

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I recently stay at RCMD with my family on the way to our trip to Hawaii. We love the hotel and the service specially the Club Lounge. We had the pleasure to meet Michel who was our bellman, he was very helpful and profesional. Every time we waked by the lobby Michel would remember our name and ask if there is anything we needed. We also had the pleasure to meet Wade who is one of the Hotel managers, he was super nice to me and my family and took great care of us. Marina del Rey has great dining options, we went to Mendosinos farm, Sugar Fish near the hotel. Santa Monica is only 4 mi away from the hotel and 10 min from the LAX.
I can wait to come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Trail, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at the Ritz just before Halloween with 3 girlfriends (36 years old and away without our kids) ! And let me tell you the staff was sooo great with us and our shanangans!

Rooms: nice and a bit bigger than a regular hotel room, but nothing spectacular.
View: AMAZING! Over looking the marina and the ocean....
Hotel Restaurant: good, but very expensive
Pool area: beautiful and very clean!
Hot tub: wonderful AND open 24 hours!
Gym: very clean
Coffee: blah!
Shuttle Service: great, but very limited hours!

The hotel was an easy 5-10 minute walking distance to sooo much, Beaches, restaurants, sight seeing! Location was such a bonus!

Would certainly stay again~

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I traveled to Southern California for a quick, pre-Christmas weekend of fun involving both LEGOLAND California and the San Diego Zoo. Before hitting those parks, however, we had to spend a day (and night) in the Los Angeles area to attend my sister's graduation ceremony at The Los Angeles Film School. While looking for hotels, I came across The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey and decided to give it a shot.

Before I go into the details of our experience, here's a "quickie review" for those who don't want to read lengthy narrative: Great hotel. Great staff. Highly recommended.

Okay, still with me?

We arrived in the evening on 12/21/2012, relieved that the end of the Mayan 13th baktun didn't send us adrift into the Pacific Ocean as we navigated LA's congested thoroughfares. Immediately upon putting our vehicle into "Park" in the middle of the hotel's porte cochere, we were enthusiastically greeted by a Valet Attendant, a 5'6"ish Latino man in his 30s or 40s (I have to apologize for not having any employee names -- I failed to write them down and my memory is increasingly failing me as I age). He expeditiously helped me unpack our bug-splattered vehicle and then walked us into the lobby to personally introduce us to the Front Desk Agent. Before leaving us to check in, the Valet Attendant encouraged me to let him know if I needed anything during my stay. Nice touch.

Norma (I think that was her name... but, again, my memory... what was that?), our Front Desk Agent, promptly check us in and engaged with my two kids in a very personal and upbeat fashion. Quick and meaningful service. Who said it couldn't be done?

While walking from the lobby to the elevator foyer, I was able to take note of the quality of the public spaces. Pristinely maintained. For an older property, this hotel is very well-kept.

We got to our room and was pleasantly surprised by its size. Outside of Las Vegas, I've found that most "regular" hotel rooms are on the smaller side. Our room here, 902, was quite spacious. I'm not sure if our room had been recently renovated, but it looked new... its age certainly didn't show. As is customary for Clan Medina, we inspected the room and took pictures (all of which are still on the compact flash drive inside our Canon 50D). Immaculate room.

Our bags, snacks, and end-of-the-world gear (we didn't really have any end-of-the-world gear) arrived in a just a few minutes. Can't remember his name but our Bellman, a 6'1"ish Caucasian gent with wavy hair, was just as engaging and upbeat as both our Valet Attendant and our Front Desk Agent. Something must be in the water.

Now, as far as comfort was concerned, we all slept very well. I have something of a chronic neck pain issue -- as in I wake up with bad neck pain almost every single day of my life. When I woke up on 12/22, I was surprised that I was pain-free. I attributed it to the utterly perfect pillow upon which my noggin rested whilst I slumbered. I probably shouldn't have told my wife that I loved the pillow, though, because she just purchased four of the pillows for just shy of $400. I should've said that a dream centered on the new MacBook Pro 13-in with Retina Display caused me to awaken sans neck pain. Lesson learned.

Our departure experience was just as awesome as our arrival experience. I didn't make use of Bell service, but every employee I passed on my way to the Front Desk offered to assist with my luggage. Talk about proactive service!

All in all, our experience at The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey was fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit the Los Angeles area. My only regret is that we didn't have more time to enjoy the hotel. LEGOLAND beckoned, so we rushed out of there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kinnelon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

While the hotel is nice, it is not up to what i expect at a Ritz property. $38 valet parking seems excessive for the area where parking is no where near as hard to find as say San Fran. Reception was pleasant, but not stellar. The lobby is only fair, the restaurant ehhh. breakfast at $40 per person for the buffet - excessive. if it were more elegant or "Ritzy" I might not say this, but the ambience and service did not demand the high charges throughout the hotel. The pool, while it was too cold to use was only fair. by now you get it - fair - descibes this hotel that while ok was certainy not up to Ritz standards.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

To be honest I expected the worst after having read all the bad reviews about this hotel. We arrived on 4th of July, the atmosphere at the hotel was wonderful, it immediately felt like home. The staff is so WONDERFUL, every single one of them is so well trained, so this is next to perfect. The rooms and the overall hotel quality is good - but not 100% up to Ritz standards. But: you shouldn't forget that you pay only about half the prize you pay for other Ritz hotels. We paid about 400 USD for a room on the club level - which is (by Ritz standards, don't get me wrong) next to nothing. Try to get a room at Laguna Niguel for that price (and be prepared to be laughed at). The club lounge experience was one of the best: wonderful food presentation all day long, absolutely top quality, best smoked salmon I ate in decades.
So, do not expect the over the top Ritzy Ritz, but this is a well kept hotel with a wonderful club level (REALLY worth the extra bucks), superconvenient to LAX and the beach cities. Would definitely stay here again. Oh, I forgot: children are treated like little royalties in this property, very nice touch.

Room Tip: Book club level (you won't be disappointed) or stay at home
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

While it is true that this hotel is a little dated compared to some other Ritz properties, it certainly wasn't enough to diminish our week stay there. The view of the Marina is absolutely stunning! Breakfast left a bit to be desired for $40.00 a person, but that was about our only complaint. The room was extremely clean with a great balcony view.Turn down service was wonderful.Overall, from check in to check out, everything was great and all staff members were extremely pleasant. The pre-arranged transportation to and from the airport was also a little pricey, but expected and not too far out of line with other private cars. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a marina view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!