We were invited as guests of Park West Galleries, to attend an art auction over three days, all expenses paid. Who could turn that down? I read the TA reviews and decided this would be a nice get-away for my daughter and myself. We were to have a room with 2 double beds. Upon arrival at the hotel, we missed the place. There is little lighting and it is hard to see the entrance at night. The sticker shock is $38 for valet parking. Since the weekend was virtually free, we decided to valet park. The alternative is a city parking lot directly across the street for $8 per 24 hr period. Just be sure you go back daily and get a new ticket and place it face-up on your dashboard or they will tow your car! Anyway, check-in was a little dicey. They did not have a room with 2 beds. Really? It's my grown daughter and myself. We snore, toss and turn and sharing a bed would give neither of us a decent nights sleep. The desk clerk kept looking and finally, seeing how stressed we were, he found two king rooms, across the hall from one another, and told us the second room would be NO CHARGE as well. WOW-how great is that? Now we both have our own rooms and sleep should be wonderful. Not quite...we went to our rooms. I got 209 with a view overlooking the pool and marina. My daughter had a parking lot view. It was very late by time we unpacked and since we had an early morning, just went to bed. The room was lovely, if you disregard that the electrical socket was falling off the wall and one dresser drawer pull was unscrewed. Not stuff you would expect at a Ritz. There is a 2" gap under the door and the noise from people talking in the hallways, doors opening/closing was quite loud and irritating. I had to get up, find ear plugs and that buffered the noise. The next night I stuffed towels into the opening and this helped too. I liked that there was coffee & tea in the room and the bottled water was complimentary. The toiletries were nice. They can hide their scale! There was also a safe in the room and a flat screen TV. It was well appointed with a desk and chairs, and a reading chair. Did I mention lots of lighting. I did enjoy this room. It was in good shape, other than the two items I mentioned previously. There was a combo bath/shower with the curved shower curtain to make the shower feel bigger. There WAS NOT a hand held shower faucet - something EVERY hotel should install. There was a hair dryer and the towels were large and soft. The bed WAS NOT comfortable. I tossed and turned all night and had numbness. A little too hard for me. Another problem for tall people - the toilet was very low to the ground. It would be nice to have a 16" bowl. The light in the bathroom is on a sensor. If you have to use it in the middle of the night, be prepared to be blinded. It comes on shockingly. I learned to reach in, hit the sensor first, and then it wouldn't pop on. The hotel should at least put a dimmer switch or switch it out to a regular switch. Didn't like this at all. The pool is lovely with cabanas and a jacuzzi. Be aware that it ends up in shade around 4pm every day.
The hotel is very pretty with beautiful landscaping, a great marina view, easy walk to Venice Beach and restaurants all around. Since our meals were paid for, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurants (Park West supplied breakfast & dinner buffets in our ballroom). We did go out at lunch and eat in Venice. Be prepared for very expensive prices in the hotel, but to be expected, you are at the Ritz!
Would I return - absolutely!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegantly perched on one of the largest man-made marinas in the world, The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey is a hotel that offers guests easy access to Los Angeles, as well as a tranquil seaside hideaway to escape the city pace. Enjoy the warmth and laid-back lifestyle of Southern California from one of Los Angeles’ only AAA Five Diamond luxury hotels to call the waterfront home. Here, guests enjoy ocean, marina or city skyline views from soothing guest rooms and suites; a restaurant that source local ingredients from the neighborhood farmers market; a spa that paves the way to well-being; two lighted tennis courts; and LA’s only waterfront pool. Minutes from LAX, Venice Beach, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, our distinctive Marina del Rey hotel will ensure the memories will linger long after you leave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Marriott, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Marina Del Rey Hotel Marina Del Rey
- Ritz Marina Del Rey
- Marina Del Rey Ritz Carlton