“Great get-away weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Brea, California
“Great get-away weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were invited as guests of Park West Galleries, to attend an art auction over three days, all expenses paid. Who could turn that down? I read the TA reviews and decided this would be a nice get-away for my daughter and myself. We were to have a room with 2 double beds. Upon arrival at the hotel, we missed the place. There is little lighting and it is hard to see the entrance at night. The sticker shock is $38 for valet parking. Since the weekend was virtually free, we decided to valet park. The alternative is a city parking lot directly across the street for $8 per 24 hr period. Just be sure you go back daily and get a new ticket and place it face-up on your dashboard or they will tow your car! Anyway, check-in was a little dicey. They did not have a room with 2 beds. Really? It's my grown daughter and myself. We snore, toss and turn and sharing a bed would give neither of us a decent nights sleep. The desk clerk kept looking and finally, seeing how stressed we were, he found two king rooms, across the hall from one another, and told us the second room would be NO CHARGE as well. WOW-how great is that? Now we both have our own rooms and sleep should be wonderful. Not quite...we went to our rooms. I got 209 with a view overlooking the pool and marina. My daughter had a parking lot view. It was very late by time we unpacked and since we had an early morning, just went to bed. The room was lovely, if you disregard that the electrical socket was falling off the wall and one dresser drawer pull was unscrewed. Not stuff you would expect at a Ritz. There is a 2" gap under the door and the noise from people talking in the hallways, doors opening/closing was quite loud and irritating. I had to get up, find ear plugs and that buffered the noise. The next night I stuffed towels into the opening and this helped too. I liked that there was coffee & tea in the room and the bottled water was complimentary. The toiletries were nice. They can hide their scale! There was also a safe in the room and a flat screen TV. It was well appointed with a desk and chairs, and a reading chair. Did I mention lots of lighting. I did enjoy this room. It was in good shape, other than the two items I mentioned previously. There was a combo bath/shower with the curved shower curtain to make the shower feel bigger. There WAS NOT a hand held shower faucet - something EVERY hotel should install. There was a hair dryer and the towels were large and soft. The bed WAS NOT comfortable. I tossed and turned all night and had numbness. A little too hard for me. Another problem for tall people - the toilet was very low to the ground. It would be nice to have a 16" bowl. The light in the bathroom is on a sensor. If you have to use it in the middle of the night, be prepared to be blinded. It comes on shockingly. I learned to reach in, hit the sensor first, and then it wouldn't pop on. The hotel should at least put a dimmer switch or switch it out to a regular switch. Didn't like this at all. The pool is lovely with cabanas and a jacuzzi. Be aware that it ends up in shade around 4pm every day.

The hotel is very pretty with beautiful landscaping, a great marina view, easy walk to Venice Beach and restaurants all around. Since our meals were paid for, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurants (Park West supplied breakfast & dinner buffets in our ballroom). We did go out at lunch and eat in Venice. Be prepared for very expensive prices in the hotel, but to be expected, you are at the Ritz!

Would I return - absolutely!

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina view or pool/marina view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful hotel--- what you would expect from a Ritz Carlton. We were with our kids during spring break and it was a nice stop while we were on our North to South California adventure. We chose to stay in one of the club level rooms and throughly enjoyed having the club option. The food and service were wonderful. We felt very at home. the kids came and went and we enjoyed the company of other families enjoying their spring break. The rooms were a bit small, and the bathrooms were fairly ordinary but the view of the marina made up for it. Knowing the Los Angeles area very well, I don't believe the hotel is in the most ideal location, unless you plan on doing a lot of sailing (which is wonderful in this area, with a beautiful marina).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a marina view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Easy check-in with one caveat, reservations were for 4 but we ended up with a room with a King bed. You do the math. The room was on the pool side, but still had a nice view of the marina. We didn't notice any noise from the pool area, and really enjoyed the view. The location is very nice. It is a relatively long (but doable) walk to Venice beach, and just a short surface street drive to Santa Monica. The rooms were very nice, however the pool area was simply fantastic. The pool is salt-water, kept at 83 degrees and made the trip. Excellent service overall.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

In advance of booking our reservation, we looked at the various reviews posted in respect of this hotel. The reviews were decidedly mixed with many travellers feeling that the hotel was tired and not up to Ritz standard. That was certainly not our experience. The service was excellent. The pool and hot tub were very inviting and were open 24 hours a day. The gym was more than adequate. The bed was exceptional. And the hotel provided complimentary car service to take us to places in the area. This allowed us to avoid the rental car for which the nightly parking fee was $38 (which is obviously quite steep). All in all we had an excellent experience and will definitely return to the Ritz if we find ourselves in the Marina Del Rey area again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently stayed for three nights with a family of four (6 and 8 yo), and wanted to share the perspective of a family that's not-so-ritzy. Our family had never been to LA, and wanted to see some beachy parts of it for a few days before a trip to Disneyland. We had never stayed at a Ritz property before, and so were a little concerned our budget would be blown by meals/incidentals in the hotel. We ended up with no incidentals and the whole family loved this hotel.

The hotel is centrally located beach-wise, and we ended up being gone for most of every day, enjoying the hotel property in the morning & evening. We went to Santa Monica one day (walked partway through Venice neighborhood and then hopped a bus), and then rented bikes and rode the bike trail to Dockweiler Beach on our second full day. We expected the kids to want to be at Mother's Beach more (and it's an excellent kid spot), but found it to be more suitable for 6 yo and younger (our kids were bored of it once they saw the ocean beaches). The playground built into the beach there is a nice asset, and there's a little cafe called the Mermaid Cafe right next to it that has a few tables.

We would typically swim at the hotel pool in the morning then explore for the day, and then sometimes return for a swim in the evening. The pool is larger than it looks, and was often empty or only had a few other guests in the morning hours. Our kids are well behaved, and could play comfortably- there was plenty of space to play without disrupting anybody else. The hot tub often had more people in it than the pool, but is also large and was never so much that we couldn't all get in when we wanted to.

We did a few quick meals in our room (we were on the first floor which has patio furniture so we could eat outside- the other floors' balconies are too small to accommodate patio furniture), and walked along the waterfront to the Killer Cafe for breakfast one morning. We did this whole leg of the trip without a car, and didn't miss it.

Hotel feel & staff are great like most others say. Room didn't seem super fancy, but was definitely nice, clean, & comfortable. Road outside hotel is very busy and can be loud depending on time of day.

Room Tip: only first floor rooms have patio furniture
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. I loved every minute of my vacation! I booked a package deal far ahead of my trip, which was a good thing because I traveled over the July 4th holiday - turned out to be utter madness! The biggest piece of advice I can give anyone for this hotel is to spend the extra cash and get a room on the Marina side. The view is spectacular and you don't get the noise from the pool or the active parking lot.

The room was very comfortable. I wouldn't call it over-the-top luxury, but my needs were more than met. The staff was fantastic - little notes left in the room by the service staff and spotless service. I rented a cabana for the first day so a group of my friends could come and relax by the pool. It was great! The service was excellent and they took care of us from noon until at least 8pm when we finally disbanded.

The fireworks were great, and I had a ringside seat since I was on the Marina side. The next morning I packed up my car and headed to the airport for my flight home. I will absolutely stay here again and I recommend this hotel to anyone. There were lots of families here, which I don't mind, but fair warning to couples looking for romance and a bit of peace and quiet - this is a busy hotel.

Special kudos to the new front desk staff (Darnell), the catering folks (Raul and Nicki who served us poolside) and Marco at the valet. Everyone here deserves many thanks for my fantastic vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Marina side are probably quietest and certainly have the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey July 2nd-July 5th, 2012.

Right from the check in point, it was great. Geoffrey was the staff member that checked us in, making sure everything was to our liking. We also mentioned that we were going into Hollywood the next morning, and Geoffrey and another staff member Darnell gave us fantastic directions, and even told us where we should park. They told us to call them if we got lost, and were a great help.

The entire staff was so incredibly friendly, constantly asking if we needed anything, and making sure we were comfortable.

These people definitely know how to provide incredible customer service. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor facing the pool and with a partial view of the ocean. Gorgeous. Also...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!