“Ritz can be done without the ritzy” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 4th Night
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Marina del Rey
Seattle, Washington
“Ritz can be done without the ritzy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently stayed for three nights with a family of four (6 and 8 yo), and wanted to share the perspective of a family that's not-so-ritzy. Our family had never been to LA, and wanted to see some beachy parts of it for a few days before a trip to Disneyland. We had never stayed at a Ritz property before, and so were a little concerned our budget would be blown by meals/incidentals in the hotel. We ended up with no incidentals and the whole family loved this hotel.

The hotel is centrally located beach-wise, and we ended up being gone for most of every day, enjoying the hotel property in the morning & evening. We went to Santa Monica one day (walked partway through Venice neighborhood and then hopped a bus), and then rented bikes and rode the bike trail to Dockweiler Beach on our second full day. We expected the kids to want to be at Mother's Beach more (and it's an excellent kid spot), but found it to be more suitable for 6 yo and younger (our kids were bored of it once they saw the ocean beaches). The playground built into the beach there is a nice asset, and there's a little cafe called the Mermaid Cafe right next to it that has a few tables.

We would typically swim at the hotel pool in the morning then explore for the day, and then sometimes return for a swim in the evening. The pool is larger than it looks, and was often empty or only had a few other guests in the morning hours. Our kids are well behaved, and could play comfortably- there was plenty of space to play without disrupting anybody else. The hot tub often had more people in it than the pool, but is also large and was never so much that we couldn't all get in when we wanted to.

We did a few quick meals in our room (we were on the first floor which has patio furniture so we could eat outside- the other floors' balconies are too small to accommodate patio furniture), and walked along the waterfront to the Killer Cafe for breakfast one morning. We did this whole leg of the trip without a car, and didn't miss it.

Hotel feel & staff are great like most others say. Room didn't seem super fancy, but was definitely nice, clean, & comfortable. Road outside hotel is very busy and can be loud depending on time of day.

Room Tip: only first floor rooms have patio furniture
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. I loved every minute of my vacation! I booked a package deal far ahead of my trip, which was a good thing because I traveled over the July 4th holiday - turned out to be utter madness! The biggest piece of advice I can give anyone for this hotel is to spend the extra cash and get a room on the Marina side. The view is spectacular and you don't get the noise from the pool or the active parking lot.

The room was very comfortable. I wouldn't call it over-the-top luxury, but my needs were more than met. The staff was fantastic - little notes left in the room by the service staff and spotless service. I rented a cabana for the first day so a group of my friends could come and relax by the pool. It was great! The service was excellent and they took care of us from noon until at least 8pm when we finally disbanded.

The fireworks were great, and I had a ringside seat since I was on the Marina side. The next morning I packed up my car and headed to the airport for my flight home. I will absolutely stay here again and I recommend this hotel to anyone. There were lots of families here, which I don't mind, but fair warning to couples looking for romance and a bit of peace and quiet - this is a busy hotel.

Special kudos to the new front desk staff (Darnell), the catering folks (Raul and Nicki who served us poolside) and Marco at the valet. Everyone here deserves many thanks for my fantastic vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Marina side are probably quietest and certainly have the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey July 2nd-July 5th, 2012.

Right from the check in point, it was great. Geoffrey was the staff member that checked us in, making sure everything was to our liking. We also mentioned that we were going into Hollywood the next morning, and Geoffrey and another staff member Darnell gave us fantastic directions, and even told us where we should park. They told us to call them if we got lost, and were a great help.

The entire staff was so incredibly friendly, constantly asking if we needed anything, and making sure we were comfortable.

These people definitely know how to provide incredible customer service. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor facing the pool and with a partial view of the ocean. Gorgeous. Also...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The Ritz has come to be synonymous with high-quality properties and excellent service, and this one does not disappoint. From the beautiful Marina location to the well-appointed rooms, Michelin-rated restaurant and the top-notch pool area, this Ritz offers everything you've come to expect from the brand.

Their service deserves special mention, as they seem to have a knack for hiring only the friendliest, most customer-service-oriented employees. While at the pool, a security guard overheard me telling my husband that I didn't know what the pool hours were, and he made a point of coming over, introducing himself, and telling us what the hours were (24 hours). It's that kind of attention to detail that sets this property apart.

Yes, the building is not brand new, but our room was impeccable - traditionally designed complete with marble bathroom - with no signs of wear. No dings in the wall, no worn-out carpets, none of that. The restaurant and the meeting rooms show the same level of upkeep. Nice to stay somewhere that you feel taken care of.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side, very nice view. Also, they run an amazing promotion when you pre-pa...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a handful of times and so it's probably time to say some good things about it. The staff is among the most welcoming and receptive that I have encountered in my frequent travels around the country. Some reviewers noted that the hotel is a bit faded. I haven't really found this to be the case; I think the place is pretty clean and well kept, but if you are looking for a modern look it wont be found here as the theme is more traditional with the furnishings. Most importantly for me, the rooms are comfortable and quiet, and the bed is very good. If you are fortunate to get the marina/pool view you will be greeted with very pleasant scenery. On my most recent stay the hotel was hosting a conference of colleagues and they did a very good job of managing the conference and addressing the needs of guests like me without any inconvenience or neglect. If you are staying there for a while make sure to hang out by the pool which is a pretty good use of space. The lounge is a good place to unwind after a long day. Another plus, the hotel is close to the airport (about a 15 to 20 minute drive) with no need to use the highways.

If there are downsides for me they are these: As a Ritz property it can be a pricey stay with fees for services that might otherwise be free elsewhere (e.g., room internet), but then you are choosing that brand. However, I would contrast this Ritz with another Marriott property down the road, a regular Marriott hotel that I have also stayed at, and the staff at the Ritz is much friendlier and responsive, the price difference between the two locations largely irrelevant. The other issue is accessibility outside the hotel, which is not a problem with the Ritz per se. The walk along the marina at the back of the hotel if you're doing some quick sightseeing or going to a nearby restaurant is not continuous. If you go any distance after a while you have to weave through parking lots of other businesses to reach a destination. In addition, sometimes there may be some aggressive panhandling on this path--again not a Ritz problem and possibly an isolated event.

Overall, staff that takes pride in their work, comfortable rooms, good pool and lounge, and no hassle getting to and from LAX. Try it out.

Room Tip: Request the marina view, and a higher floor--4th floor or above.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We go on girls trip every year and we picked this Ritz...big mistake. We did not get the room we booked and we got somewhat of an attitude from the woman at the front desk. The manager knew we were upset and offered us a "bigger" room. However, it was supposed to be ready at noon and it still wasn't ready by 2:00. The hotel seemed dated and old. Our shower was clogged and the balcony door handle was completely broken off. The ONLY good part of this Ritz was the club room. Edgar, Caroline, and Vilma were awesome. They treated us like royalty and were so incredibly nice. Edgar basically made our trip. They club room is what you would expect of the Ritz.

Room Tip: Stay on Club Level.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed for the weekend while visiting Universal Studios. Staff, service, rooms, amenities, etc was FABULOUS!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!