“Expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

You added Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13480 Maxella Avenue, Marina del Rey, CA 90292 (Formerly Courtyard by Marriott)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Honors Points
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
“Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I would have expected parking to be included in the rate. The location was good. Check in and out was swift and accurate. Staff was average. A bar would have been a plus.Restaurant food only average or below.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Greg K, General Manager at Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review and we appreciate your feedback! We did make a decision to disconnect parking from room rates, since more than half of our guests fly in to the market.

We are launching our new menu as well as room service on July 3. We do have a full-service bar at night, so I am sorry that we did not allow you to find that more easily!

We are also scheduled for a $6.5 mil renovation of all our public space that will completely transform the lobby, restaurant, bar and outdoor space into a beautiful and modern open-space design.

We hope to have you back with us again to see all the incredible changes!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel says it's a Hilton, which gives rise to certain assumptions about quality. Not so. First, I asked for an early check in when I made our reservation because we needed to get ready for a wedding. On the day we were to check in, I called and was told early check in would be fine. Got there at the appointed time, and was told no, that I had only made a request. I explained that they had granted my request .. too bad so sad. They miraculously found a room when I complained, and said it was an upgrade. they lied. It wasn't. It was the exact kind of room we had booked. I never slept.. in three nights! The plumbing was so noisy, I heard every flush and use of water from other rooms. Not what I paid a fortune for. The TV remote didn't work. There's no room service. Housekeeping showed up one of the days only. After a day away, I called the front desk to ask why housekeeping had not been to our room, and she said Don't know, and that was that. All in all, I could have gotten the same lack of attention elsewhere for a lot less.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Greg K, General Manager at Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel and I am greatly disappointed that your experience was less than you expected. We take all of our guest reviews very seriously and are working diligently to correct processes that lead to unhappy guests.

I can assure you that your feedback is being taken seriously and we sincerely hope to have you give us another try on your next trip to the area. We have planned a $7mil transformation-renovation later this year, which will completely change the hotel's persona from it's prior brand.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to share your review and hope to see you soon.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Some of the other good reviews were obviously not by guests that stayed here before they changed over, not anything to compare it too.

Before this hotel changed from the Courtyard Marriott to the Doubletree Hilton I LOVED it we went back year after year. The staff went the extra mile to accommodate the guests, the buffet is one of the best ever and the whole demeanor of the staff was great with a sincere caring.

NOW they are penny pinching every little way they can. They now charge an extra $100.00 to give a guest a room over the courtyard, are you kidding?? EVEN if they have empty rooms they charge you extra. THEY NOW CHARGE TO PARK YOUR CAR IN A HUGE PARKING LOT that already comes with the hotel. Courtyard never charged extra for rooms over the pool, never charged for parking, in fact they gave out bottles of water, cookies, fruit and often free ticket upgrades to the buffet. Their concern was for the client best interest, comfort and a good price. This staff I found to be lacking in warmth and caring. They are more like front desk robots, There is now NO personal interest....The only one that is not like that was there back before they changed companies and he even looks sad.YES I will now be sadly look for a new accommodation after staying here for many years!!!! Not anymore, after this weekend I am disgusted!!!!!!!!!! Oh and so were my local friends when I told them about this, no more recommending this place!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are deeply disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. There are clearly some changes that we made since the conversion and the biggest change is the hotel's $7mil transformation coming in the fall. The hotel's lobby, restaurant, lounge, ballrooms and pool area will all become a very chic and modern design, befitting of the beautiful Coastal area.

We are installing 100 Mbps fiber optic wireless internet this week that will enable our guests to easily power multiple devices and afford effortless streaming, which has not been the case in most hotels. And this necessary amenity will be complimentary.

We sincerely hope that you will provide us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hotel with another visit when you are in the area.
Oswego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff was so helpful, answered many questions, arranged a car for my husband and son to get to the Hawks/Kings game, gave us helpful hints on what to do and see and we would definitely stay there again. Beds super comfortable and clean.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Taking your time, as you did, to share your expereince is very important and we thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to know that our staff seemed to make a difference for you and helped create a "great stay" !

Please come visit us again whenever your travels bring you to the L.A. area!
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, our room was comfortable and well decorated. Only problem was the sprinkler outside in the morning which got our carpet wet everyday.... We rented bicycle and went on Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier, that was awesone and not a long run from the hotel. Overall that was a good value.

Thank you for sharing a review online! We appreciate your feedback as well as your time to do so.

So sorry about the errant sprinkler that got your carpet wet! We found it and corrected this issue.

Glad to know you enjoyed the hotel and our location and we hope to see you again soon!
Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had a very good experience with this property. The location is great and the service was very good, especially the breakfast staff. The staff that serviced the room each day did the little things that made my stay better than a normal stay (straightened my ties for example). Overall, I had an exceptional stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience with us! We all try very hard to make a guest feel like they are staying with friends.

There are times when that may not always happen and we depend upon our guests telling us about their experience in person or through these reviews. Good and not-so-good...we need to get this feedback so that we can continually improve our processes.

So, we thank you very much!
Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I frequented this hotel when it was a Marriott courtyard. It was standard Marriott, clean, good customer service and comfortable and Marriott did not charge for parking. With the new ownership, the hotel is not the same. The customer service/front desk is not professional, not like most Hilton properties where I have experienced good customer service. The room did not feel clean, there was a spider in the bathroom, dirty water was filled half way in the tub. ( I did call and manager was going to take care of it.). Internet is VERY SLOW. However, the bed was freshly made and was clean, so I added one star. There is now a charge for parking. Will not stay at this Hilton property again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to share your review. I am disappointed that you did seem to enjoy your stay with us.

All of our staff is the same as when the hotel was a different brand and we are working diligently to bring in a completely different set of standards as a full-service hotel now.

We are installing fiber-optic wifi right now that will bring 100 Mbps to our guests, enabling multiple device use which has not been the case in the past.

Our new menu and rooms service launches July 3rd and lowered all our prices in the bar to more accurately reflect the local market.

However the biggest news is our $6.5 mil transformation of all the public space, restaurant, bar and outdoor pool areas The design is spectacular and brings a fresh, modern and chic ambiance to this beautiful area.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you with us again for a more pleasant experience.

Been to Hotel MdR-A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!