“Rude front of staff on arrival” 4 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
chesterfield, UK
“Rude front of staff on arrival”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We travelled from the UK for a week at the Jamaica Bay Inn. We were so excited. Got to the hotel around 9pm after a long flight. The 2 women on reception that night offered very poor customer service. My husband handed over his card to pay, 8 minutes later...the lady checking us in said there was a problem, the card was not being approved. We phoned our bank the next morning to be told she tried to put the payment through 8 times for 6 different amounts. Her manner was disrespectful and very offhand. I work in customer service myself and I certainly wouldn't if I had her manner. Despite my husband asking to speak to the front of house manager, she never contacted us back. Despite this, the Jamaica Bay Inn is a gem, the rest of the staff were outstanding, the location and restaurant fabulous...it is just a shame that our first impression of the hotel was one of upset and disappointment.

• Stayed August 2013
shighland, General Manager at Jamaica Bay Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Piphow,

Thanks for taking the time to offer some feedback on your recent visit. We are all very concerned that your experience at check-in was anything less than delight. Please know that your challenges have been addressed with the staff and we are confident something like this would not happen again. Thank you also very much for noting that the staff you encountered throughout the remainder of your stay were "outstanding." We do work very hard to provide the best experince in LA and it's always great to hear positive comments. We hope to welcome you back to our "gem" very soon. Please feel free to contact me directly next time so I might personally look after you!

Warmly,

Shawn Highland
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn on the first night of a road trip of the West Coast of the USA. After an 11 hour flight the hotel was very convenient and only a 15 minute drive from the airport.

The staff at the front desk were very helpful, providing us with information regarding the area and LA in general. We got a lovely room with a view of the marina. We were a 30 second walk from the beach. The room was extremely clean, modern and spacious, the bed was comfortable and we had everything we needed including free wifi and safe.

We booked a package which included a free breakfast which was delicious, once again we received great service. We also had a cocktail at the bar which was lovely and reasonably priced.

The hotel has a pool which is just off the beach. We only used the area for a couple of hours but it was lovely and well maintained. The hotel is only a short drive from Venice Beach if the Marina is not enough for you.

We cannot find a bad thing to say about be Jamaica Bay Inn!

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for a marina view is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was traveling to LA for business, and my client put me up at this hotel because it was across the street from a colleague with whom I'd be hitching a ride to and from the office.

The wait for check-in took a few minutes, as the clerk chatted with another customer. After an initial pinch of frustration (I was tired), I could quickly see what was taking so long -- the clerk was super nice and helpful, and the customer was just delighted to talk to her. So that was cool.

I found the room very clean and comfortable, although I was on the ground floor just feet from the parking lot, which freaked me out a little. I mean, people were walking by my sliding doors just feet away. But it turned out to be fine -- that's what curtains are for.

Other than the room -- and the fact that the TV offered my favorite channel (Bravo) -- the food was actually super good. My colleagues and I had dinner at the hotel restaurant (outside, under a heat lamp; it was DELICIOUS -- AND we had a coupon given to us at check-in), and then in the morning I ordered room service, which was a treat for me. I think, with all my travel, I've only ever gotten room service twice, and it was delicious and delivered on time.

I can't really speak for the amenities surrounding the hotel, because I was in and out, but I'd say that the Jamaica Bay Inn s a nice and affordable option if you're in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Suffolk, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as it offered better value than nearby Santa Monica that we had been looking at, and had great reviews. The rooms were spacious and well equipped - restaurant very good and it was great looking over the Marina. The beach was very sandy, clean and empty so that was a bonus!
The pool was quite small and space a bit tight, but people tended to be out and about exploring so the couple of times we used it wasn't a problem. Staff were very helpful when we had a problem with the room and moved us.

Marina Del Rey is quite a residential area - there are a few other hotels but mainly apartments and loads of boats! Doesn't take that long to drive into LA or Santa Monica - and we walked to Venice that was good.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the extra for Marina view -back rooms overlook the carpark
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just spent 5 nights at this hotel and could not fault it. Our room was a 2-room suite with 2 bathrooms, one being huge ! Staff here go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We ate more times in the restaurant than we had planned simply because the food was so good. Our first nights meal of the Mahi Mahi, Crabcakes and the 'special' Jalapeno Shrimp was totally to die for and we left 3 completely empty plates ! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel - it really does tick all the boxes - a big thank you to all the lovely staff !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I always try to stay at Jamaica bay inn when I visit LA. This trip was a little disappointing. I called ahead to make sure I got my preferred room , but when I got there the choice of room type was not available. I could have gone through Expedia or any other agency but I choose not to because I wanted to request a room type.We ended up paying $321 (after taxes) for 1 night.everyone I saw checking in made trip though Expedia, I bet they got a great price!!! The breakfast in restaurant was just ok and the service was not great...

Room Tip: Bay View with balcony/ some rooms have shores only, while others have bathtub and showers.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Something just didn't click with this hotel and me even though I was upgraded to a room that was crazy large. But maybe it was also an example of why I didn't think it was a great hotel. There was a large seating area in addition to the sleeping area. But it was a disappointment. It had very poor lighting so reading was impossible, the shutters didn't really open all the way so the view of the marina was blocked, and the seating arrangement prevented me from napping on it. :)
But there are some real pluses to the hotel. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Even though we were using the self parking, we found the valet staff to be very helpful and friendly. The front desk people just so-so when it came to making us feel welcome and answering pretty basic questions about the area.
The bathroom was nice. But again, the lighting was poor.
The restaurant food was tasty. But I found it weird that on a Sunday at about 3:00pm they stopped serving food for an hour. Why? Of course you could still get a drink. Just seemed weird and not very convenient. Yet another example of something that is just off about the place.
As many reviews note, the location is great. Maybe 15 minutes from LAX. Venice Canals were an easy walk, etc.
The gym is a joke. Something you would expect at a motel.
All in all, I wouldn't rush back. Just didn't think it was worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!